MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 26-07-07, 16:33
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Question Billingshurst, West Sussex

I received the following in email this morning, and was wondering off-hand whether any of you chaps can answer him? I can only presume that like most other establishments used by the Canadians, this one saw numerous formations pass through, but the fact that this was Armoured Corps might help.

Thanks.....

Quote:
My name is John Xxxxx born in 1937. I live in Crawley, West Sussex.

During much of the war years I lived with an aunt in Five Oaks, near Billingshurst, West Sussex. Canadian troops were stationed just up the road and had tanks and bren gun carriers. My aunt, Rose Miller used to organise Sunday church services in a tin chapel opposite her cottage and supplied pens and paper for 'letters home'.

As a small boy I used to be fascinated by the armoury and the occasion 'gum' dispensed by the troops. My cousin Jose was a Land Army girls and my Uncle Jim tended to supply wild rabbits to the soldiers as a change of diet.

I am trying to identify the Canadian troops stationed in Nissen huts. The nearest big town with a cinema was Horsham.
Old 27-07-07, 19:54
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Supplementary information:

Quote:
I was born in 1937, so by the time I was sitting up and taking notice it would have been possibly 1943-45. I remember my aunt telling me that two of the soldiers came back after curfew and couldn't get into barracks. Apparently they slept under a tank and sadly during a night of heavy rain the tank settled on them and they died. Lot of memories, dog fights in the summer sky, a Dornier in flames passing over the cottage and the biggest news in the village, a jettisoned bomb killing a pig.
Old 12-08-07, 15:07
Vets Dottir 2nd

Bump to top again
Old 12-08-07, 15:18

A large area of West Sussex near to Billingshurst had Canadian Army units camped there. I once had to stop for mechanical repairs at nearby Wisborough Green, with my 1941 military BSA motorcycle. The village green had the Canadian flag flying at the time and a lady there, told me that the Canadian HQ had been in the village during the war.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 13-08-07, 01:33
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: a Canadian HQ at Wisborough Green

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
I once had to stop for mechanical repairs at nearby Wisborough Green, with my 1941 military BSA motorcycle. The village green had the Canadian flag flying at the time and a lady there, told me that the Canadian HQ had been in the village during the war.

Hi Richard;

as/at approx. 14 May 42 to 24 Sep 43 - HQ 5 Cdn Inf Bde (2nd Cdn Inf Div) was located at HAWKHURST COURT, Wisborough Green

and

as/at approx. 24 Sep 43 to Apr 44 - HQ 6 Cdn Inf Bde (2nd Cdn Inf Div) was located at HAWKHURST COURT, Wisborough Green

Cheers