MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 16-12-17, 23:12

Default Wireless Set No. 52 Cdn, Carriers No.4

Anyone who has been up close and personal with one of these, please feel free to weigh in.

I am trying to determine if it would be easier (cheaper) to have an original of these detailed for appropriate drawings, such that a metal shop could clone one, or if it would be a better option to just wait and hope to trip over an original? I am assuming that the metalwork that went into the fabrication of these carriers was all standard sized stock, so that nothing requiring extensive custom work would create headaches.

I believe the electrical connections between the various component plugs was run through an accessible conduit at the back of the carrier somewhere, so finding the appropriate plugs would be the major issue in that regard.

The other thing I am not certain of is that these carriers apparently come in two parts: the basic metal box with supporting electricals, and some form of cradle/frame that supports the former item via six rubber shock mounts. I am curious if these rubber shock mounts are the same Bridges used to mount 19-Set Carriers No. 21 and 22.

David
Old 16-12-17, 23:31
GM Fox I

Default 52 set carrier

Dave, if you need any details or measurements (sufficient for fabricating) just ask. To try and answer a couple of your questions: I think it's unlikely you'll find a loose original, though the principle that once you fabricate a new one an original will pop up usually applies. The shock mounts are similar but not the same as 19 set ones.

The terminal points at the back would take some thinking but are do-able. I say this because I've been looking for knife switches and fuse holders on bakelite for my HUW switch box without luck and have therefore been thinking about fabricating from scratch. The 52 set plugs are not dissimilar.
Old 16-12-17, 23:52

Thanks for the offer, Bruce. I will keep it in mind.

It would not surprise me in the least if I have actually sat on one for lunch years ago while visiting any one of three popular surplus dealers out this way. All three had loads of 19-Set bits (the main attraction back then) with other wireless items I was not that familiar with. Did pick up an Antennae Tuning Unit from one of them and had it gathering dust in the basement for 10 years or more before learning what it was. One of the joys of the pre-computer era. Then kept it another 10 years before giving it away as the odds of being able to focus on a 52-Set were pretty remote.

David

Last edited by David Dunlop; 17-12-17 at 04:54.
Old 17-12-17, 00:33
GM Fox I

Say....I have a spare 52 set ATU here. Not the greatest but it's yours if you want it.

I know what you mean about not knowing and passing things by. I recall seeing an 'odd' 19 set in King Sol's in Toronto years ago (you could only get upstairs when the boss was out and I suspect the guy was taking our cash for 19 set parts and putting it in his pocket). Ho hum at the time, I now know it was an amplified 19 set on its correct carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Thanks for the offer, Bruce. I will keep it in mind.

It would not surprise me in the least if I have actually sat one one for lunch years ago while visiting any one of three popular surplus dealers out this way. All three had loads of 19-Set bits (the main attraction back then) with other wireless items I was not that familiar with. Did pick up an Antennae Tuning Unit from one of them and had it gathering dust in the basement for 10 years or more before learning what it was. One of the joys of the pre-computer era. Then kept it another 10 years before giving it away as the odds of being able to focus on a 52-Set were pretty remote.

David
Old 17-12-17, 01:04

That would be great, Bruce. At least this time round when I look at the data plate I will know what the heck it is.

How ‘bout we sort out delivery etc after the holidays? Parcel systems are maxed out right now in any event.

Cheers for now,

David
Old 17-12-17, 01:13
GM Fox I

Quote:
That would be great, Bruce. At least this time round when I look at the data plate I will know what the heck it is.

How ‘bout we sort out delivery etc after the holidays? Parcel systems are maxed out right now in any event.

Cheers for now,

David
...deal...
Old 17-12-17, 13:42
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post

The terminal points at the back would take some thinking but are do-able. I say this because I've been looking for knife switches and fuse holders on bakelite for my HUW switch box without luck and have therefore been thinking about fabricating from scratch. The 52 set plugs are not dissimilar.
On the assumption that the case connectors are the 'receptacle' sort (i.e. the modules that plug in to them have single 'blade' contacts), I've got _some_ of those connectors (bought with a load of other multiway stuff some time ago).

I know I haven't got the 'Receiver' connector because I gave that to a friend who had a remote receiver and no connectors for it.

The connector bodies are all the same, and different contact sets are fitted according to the unit that plugs into them, so it should be easy to modify duplicates to do what you need (or to use them as a pattern for fabricating replacements).

I'll have a quick look later - at least I think I know where these are for a change.

Chris.
Old 17-12-17, 14:44

Morning, Chris.

Based solely on my observations of a main 52-Set Receiver, I would say the connector plugs on the Transmitter, PSU and Receiver of the 52-Set are all “female”, in that the terminal posts within their plugs are all twin stub clips.

That would suggest the four plug assemblies running along the upper rear of the Carriers No. 4 consist of single stub blades that slide into the clips on the three component plugs when the components are mounted into the Carrier. That would make the four Carrier Plug assemblies “male”.

The other ‘unknown’ I have at the moment is how the wiring between the four plugs on the Carrier No. 4 was actually carried out. Were special loomed cables pre-assembled to make these connections within the conduit running along the back of the Carrier, or, were individual wires used to connect each relevant plug terminal pair?

David

Edit: PS. This is where a copy of a REME Shop Maintenance Manual for the Wireless Set No. 52 would come in real handy, wouldn’t it?
Old 17-12-17, 15:08
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Morning, Chris.

Based solely on my observations of a main 52-Set Receiver, I would say the connector plugs on the Transmitter, PSU and Receiver of the 52-Set are all “female”, in that the terminal posts within their plugs are all twin stub clips.

That would suggest the four plug assemblies running along the upper rear of the Carriers No. 4 consist of single stub blades that slide into the clips on the three component plugs when the components are mounted into the Carrier. That would make the four Carrier Plug assemblies “male”.

The other ‘unknown’ I have at the moment is how the wiring between the four plugs on the Carrier No. 4 was actually carried out. Were special loomed cables pre-assembled to make these connections within the conduit running along the back of the Carrier, or, were individual wires used to connect each relevant plug terminal pair?

David

Edit: PS. This is where a copy of a REME Shop Maintenance Manual for the Wireless Set No. 52 would come in real handy, wouldn’t it?
Drat! Yes, I've just had a closer look at Wireless for the Warrior Volume 2 and although everything is marked as PL-nn, the removable units clearly say 'Socket' and I misinterpreted the drawing of the connector strip as socket contacts when they look more like blades on closer inspection. Scratch that idea. My connectors are obviously from someone who stripped down the modules and not the outer case.

The interconnect in the case appears to have been done with individual wires, looking in WftW.

The WS19 archive appears to have a complete set of EMERs for the WS52.

Chris.
Old 17-12-17, 16:52
GM Fox I

Some pics. Male connectors in the back of the case and female on the sender/receiver and supply units. The wires from the case plugs go through a metal cover on the back (that I can't get to without heavy lifting). The shock mounts are similar to 19/22 set ones but are about a half inch narrower bottom hole to hole.

Dave's somewhat right about stock metal. There unfortunately is a fair bit of custom shearing and bending of thicker material as well. It would be work and require a little help from your local metal fabricator, but a decent replica could be made.
Attached Thumbnails
P1070926.JPG   P1070923.JPG   P1070925.JPG   P1070924.JPG  
Old 17-12-17, 17:48

Thanks for posting the photos, Bruce.

Interesting how the center Bridge Mount is inverted between the outer two. It really peaks my curiosity now as well, as to how these shock mounts actually function, mounted halfway up the sides of the Carrier. I was expecting them to be on the bottom of the Carrier, as per 19-Set equipment.

Does the Learning Curve for this stuff ever come to an end?

David

Edit: Now off to the WS19 site to hunt the elusive 52-Set EMERs
Old 17-12-17, 19:38
GM Fox I

Ah, WW2 engineering at its finest!! The lower half is the heavy duty steel bottom and sides, the tops of which have the rubber mounts. This lower bolts solidly to the wireless table. The top is really three aluminum boxes that have a ledge half way down at either end for the other part of the rubber. The three boxes hang on the ledges by the rubber mounts which accommodate any shocks or bumps.

And no, it never comes to an end. As soon as you figure something out another project with its own set of mysteries pops up.

Quote:
Thanks for posting the photos, Bruce.

Interesting how the center Bridge Mount is inverted between the outer two. It really peaks my curiosity now as well, as to how these shock mounts actually function, mounted halfway up the sides of the Carrier. I was expecting them to be on the bottom of the Carrier, as per 19-Set equipment.

Does the Learning Curve for this stuff ever come to an end?

David

Edit: Now off to the WS19 site to hunt the elusive 52-Set EMERs
Old 17-12-17, 22:07
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Some pics. Male connectors in the back of the case and female on the sender/receiver and supply units.
Yes, I found the pair of connectors I have. They're obviously from a stripped transmitter as there's 1 x 7 and 1 x 8 contact unit.

If you ever feel the urge to replace that chipped connector I can post you a spare - though you may need to swap the contact set(s) ove because some of these have been forced open slightly.

Chris.
Old 19-12-17, 23:43

Having lurked for a bit before I registered, I know that there are some very enthusiastic, knowledgeable people on here.

I scrounge through old book stores whenever I come across them, and I grab old military related books as I find them.

One book I have come across is "Working Instructions Wireless Sets Canadian No. 52 Vehicle and ground stations."

It was published 8 May, 1944

It's not in the best of shape, but it is complete, and mostly readable.

I have absolutely no use for it, if it would be useful to anyone here, I am willing to part with it, for the cost of shipping.
Old 20-12-17, 00:58

PM sent Lance. I am interested.

David
Old 20-12-17, 01:13

Wow, that was fast.
Two people interested, so the manual is no longer available.
Old 20-12-17, 02:46
GM Fox I

Hi Lance, it's really nice of you helping people out with things like that manual. I hope some of us can likewise help you with one of your projects one day in return!!

(If you wish, PM me with your 'want list' of truck parts or militaria and I'll see what I can do...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Wiebe View Post
Having lurked for a bit before I registered, I know that there are some very enthusiastic, knowledgeable people on here.

I scrounge through old book stores whenever I come across them, and I grab old military related books as I find them.

One book I have come across is "Working Instructions Wireless Sets Canadian No. 52 Vehicle and ground stations."

It was published 8 May, 1944

It's not in the best of shape, but it is complete, and mostly readable.

I have absolutely no use for it, if it would be useful to anyone here, I am willing to part with it, for the cost of shipping.
Old 20-12-17, 18:38

Quote:
Hi Lance, it's really nice of you helping people out with things like that manual. I hope some of us can likewise help you with one of your projects one day in return!!

(If you wish, PM me with your 'want list' of truck parts or militaria and I'll see what I can do...)
It occurred to me while I was going through some of my books that there are obviously people on here that would appreciate that book far more than I do.
Being retired Armour Corps (1970- 2001), old radios are not really my "thing".

My father also served, he started Artillery, but transferred to RC Sigs, maybe that's why I grabbed the book.