MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 18-07-04, 00:19
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default m152cdn

greetings all. After lurking here for some time I decided to become legit and register. I have just aquired a m152cdn radio van to carry around my collection of WS-19s. It has some original markings that I wonder if anyone can identify.
The vehicle is in good shape and is roadworthy. It has the original tables, antenna mounts and chorehorse generator.
I'll upload some pictures of which one has formation marks on the back and one has markings on the front bumper. Any clues to who owned this?
Attached Images

Old 18-07-04, 00:21
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default m152cdn pics

here are the markings
Attached Images

Old 18-07-04, 00:22
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default m152pic

last one
Attached Images

Old 18-07-04, 02:12
Old Sigs Type

Default Re: m152cdn pics

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce MacMillan
here are the markings
Top = 1 (Canadian) Infantry Brigade
Bottom = Canadian Forces Communication Command (circa 1970)

CDN = Canadian
MFM-01 = ???

Vehicle looks in pretty good shape. The camouflage pattern, though, seems very odd to me.

Welcome to the MLU Forum, Bruce.

Last edited by Frank Misztal; 18-07-04 at 02:26.
Old 18-07-04, 02:34
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: m152cdn pics

Frank;

The Cam pattern looks like the 'Winter Cam Pattern' from the late 70's, early 80's. The white 'peeled off' very easily, with a 'gasoline wash' getting rid of the residue.

'MFM' - could stand for 'Mobile Force Mobile' (English/French) - I've seen 'MFM' before, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

Cheers
Old 18-07-04, 05:20

Bruce
The truck looks great. Congratulations.
BTW, it was good meeting you last week at the club meeting

Cheers
Randy
Old 18-07-04, 06:58

Way cool Sigs Van!!! Congats on your acquisition! Post some pics of the innards if you can--I have a 54 M-152 but back is bare inside and I'm interested to see what was really in there. By the way...Do any of you northerners out there know exactly how many Sigs Vans were produced?

Thanks! Dave
Old 19-07-04, 05:11
West Coaster

Default 152+

Bruce,

Welcom to M152 central and the forum. Nice truck! Where did you find it?
The tac signs must be just for fun because an inf div would have been in Mobile Command and not under the CFCC command. CFCC was a 'static' communications organisation. When it held M152s within the Communication Reserves, during the period 71 to 77, the trucks would have carried either a tac sign with a blue bottom and white top with a thin blue line intersecting, horizontally the white field; or a box outline similar to the inf tac sign except it would have had a single diagonal, bottom left rising to top right lightening bolt and two small vertical lines denoting Squadron (company level) on the top.
The winter cam was not universal with CFCC units, but nearly so with regular field units by the time the trucks finnished service. The other color green at the back I've never seen before.

To answer Dave.. about 1040 M152s were built for Canada. Few survive. Dave where did you get yours? Super Dave has one in Edmonton as well.

A good friend of Randy's left me with the IKE installation manual for the M152 (Radio Van) which I promised to make into a .pdf and pass around. I'll let you know when I've done this for those interested.

Here's a picture of my truck this weekend at Duncan's Classic truck show.
Attached Images

Old 19-07-04, 05:44
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default m152

Hi JD. The truck was located in Abbotsford. It belonged to a fellow member of the Western Command. I don't know if the winter cammo paint is authentic or not. I think the previous owner might have added that.The yellow division sign was painted on a green background, much like the colour of your truck. It looks like the real thing. I suspect if I cleaned the cammo paint off I would find green underneath. It actually looks like someone tried that on the right rear. The newer CFCC looks like a decal. I was told that the truck had an old painted Western Command sign as well as a shield on the front left hood that was red over blue (or was that blue over red). If I find that the cammo job is an after thought I think I will try to strip and see what is really underneath.
It has it's data plates and the number matches that which is stamped into the frame. Made 12-28-54.
The back needs a bit of work, mostly painting, but the original tables are with it. Our club goes over to the island for a few shows (Fort Rodd Hill & Comox airshow) so it would be interesting to see ours together.

Bruce
Old 19-07-04, 06:19
West Coaster

Default 152++

Bruce,

When those decals were issued we usually stuck them on office door windows. Never on a truck. When going into the states a Canadian Flag decal was issued. Your red over blue tack sign was Arty. Perhaps it was the HQ truck of 15fd on Arbutus St. mabye Ian Newby knows the truck from working fire missions in it.

I sent an app to the Western Command Club a couple of months ago but my cheque remains uncashed an I have'nt heard a peep from them?? Know who I could call?

There are a whole bunch of us in Van who worked endless hours in the backs of these things from 744 Comm Sqn.. so if you are after authentic bits that may be lying around let me know what you need and I'll pass the word.

Unfortunately when Fort Rodd Hill days come up I'm off sailing (usually). I also have no desire to 'dress up'. So I don't know if I'ld ever catch up with you in Vic. The guys in Comox are considering starting up their own club under 'Up Island Convoy'... wonder what the UIC for that unit would be?

Post some pics of the back eh?

Cheers
JD
Old 21-07-04, 05:39
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default m152 inards

The tables have been removed prior to painting. The main one went against the wall with the door to the cab. It had metal frames underneath with large screw locks that tied down the radios. They don't look like 19 set thingys but more like C42 set. A smaller hinged table with a fold-up leg went to one side. In the right hand picture a previous, previous owner had installed a fold-up, bench that will be removed.
The black cover is off the heater. The thermostat is on the wall at the top.
Old 21-07-04, 05:44
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default m152 inards

don't know why the pic didn't post. I'll try it again.
Attached Images

Old 21-07-04, 05:50
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default m152 inards

Geoff is right. It must be 102,400 bytes, not 104,000.
Here is the left side. I was told that a metal cabinet was mounted on the left side immediately next to the door. Maybe JD could elaborate on this. I may have to find or fabricate one. Ventilation blowers work as well as the two red dome lights. There are two antenna mounts, one at the back and one on the drivers side as well as a mast mount for the large vertical antenna. I'm going to clean and repaint the interior ,refinish the tables and mount two 19 sets. I'll post pics when done.
Attached Images

Old 21-07-04, 07:45
West Coaster

Default She's back

Back end diagrams. I've tried scanning and all else but this is the best I can do just now. This is from the 'Operator's Handbook' for the Truck Panel Utility 3/4 Ton CDN 1961. I've got to put the rest into .pdf soon.
Attached Images

Old 21-07-04, 07:47
West Coaster

Default Back She's

Poor repro's at best but this will give you an idea of the stock layout for the C42 configuration.
Attached Images

Old 22-07-04, 19:13

Default Rotate The Pics

I'm sure that its obvious but both of JDs scans need to be rotated 90 degrees to the right to have the floor of the truck at the bottom of the photo. Robert in Toronto
Old 23-07-04, 03:22
West Coaster

Default scamz

Robert,

The solution is really quite simple, just have a few single malts before viewing. How do you think I posted them tipped over to begin with?

JD
Old 23-07-04, 03:32
Old Sigs Type

Well, I've had a few beers and the images now look much better.

BTW, this looks like the configuration I had in my detachment in the mid 60s. The radio on the left was a #52 set and on the right sat the C42.
Attached Images

Old 23-07-04, 04:31
West Coaster

Default beerz m'deerz

Thanks Frank.

I don't always know how to limit my drinking so computer stuff comes out right. The config stayed much the same unitl demil time for the trucks. We put benches down the right hand side when possible.. better storage and seating. The rest of the manual should be ready tomorrow. I can share via FTP or snail mail. I don't know how tight it can be .zip'd.

JD
Old 23-07-04, 05:02

Default Over Eeaassyy

Actually, the first good Dodge that I found was laying over on its left side when I bought it so I recognized both views right away. When I turn fast, tight, right corners with it, I'm always afraid that it might decide to flop back over into that position again (too much radio crap loaded behind the driver's seat side I guess).
Old 23-07-04, 05:23
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default pdf pdq

Hi JD. I wouldn't mind a copy of your pdf. How big is the file size. I don't know if you have highspeed internet but if you do my mailbox would take a 10 meg file. If not I can provide snail address.
There is another M152 for sale in Langley that is also in winter cammo and has roof rack over cab. It needs some serious work on body and motor but I think its all there.
I concur on Fort Rodd Hill. The only bit of uniform I have is my old boy scout hat.
I will contact the membership person and see what happened to your application.

sun's over the yardarm. gotta go

Bruce
Old 23-07-04, 05:49
West Coaster

Bruce,

Contacted the new pres yesterday. Said he'ld get back to me.
I'll let you know about the file size when I get it back from the hi speed scan place.
The Langley truck: is that one of Ian's? I went over looking for a 152 but yours wasn't for sale at the time. Saw several including Ian's two, but none that I wanted to take on.

JD
Old 06-08-04, 03:01

Thanks for all the info gents! Been interesting looking at the inside diagrams. My poor Sigs Van is currently resting due to a spun rear main bearing. I found it ten years ago in Preist River, Idaho with a tree sticking out of the front passenger's windshield! I understood why when the fellow I purchased it from kept reminding me that the breaks were inop. I fixed it up, added the winch, then sold it. Bought it back again,sold it again and now it's mine once more! (this time I guess I had better just keep the thing!) When I get a pic hosting, I'll put some pictures of it up.

Thanks! Army Dave