MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 13-12-12, 03:11
warren brown

Default White Scout Car Resto

It's finally time to rip into my M3A1 and finish the job. I've had the Scouty now for fifteen years and during the first few I'd dismantled it entirely, right down to the bare chassis, pulled the engine out, had it acid dipped, new pistons, bearings, crankshaft reground, timing gear, new clutch, new wheel bearings, universals, new brake lines, stainless sleeved everything, new tyres, new armour backplate, new rear step made, new floor made - the list was enormous. It all came back together and with the help of two old time mechanic mates, one day the new engine roared into life. It was indeed, a marvellous day. The truck was about 75% finished and then it all stopped. As life took various new directions, so sadly did the scout car and it was ultimately placed in a car storage facility where at great cost, it sat for a long time. Occasionally i'd phone the storage place to tell the bloke I was coming down to have a look at it and for whatever reason he'd tell me that it would have to be the following day as they were tied up doing something or other - and I'd say sure and roll up the next day. Each time I saw the scout car it looked just that little bit worse for wear and I'd wince and long to bring it home. Eventually we bought a property in the country where all the toys could be reunited within one shed and the time was shaping up to organise the Scout Car's extraction. I strolled into the car storage place one day unannounced where the fat bloke who owned the place suddenly dropped his newspaper and started frantically throwing up all sorts of reasons as to why I couldn't see my scout car. Smelling a rat, I then demanded to see it. Now.
"Oh...um..which Scout Car was it?" he nervously asked.
"WHICH' Scout Car?" I replied."You have more than one Scout Car here?"
Enough mucking around - where is it?!
After a few more minutes of him acting confused and forgetful, I then started wandering through the place - no scout Car in sight. After i threatened to call the police he eventually 'fessed up as to its whereabouts. Behind the building, sitting in a paddock in knee-deep grass. What he'd been doing was making room for further cars in his building by putting long term storage vehicles outside in the weather and when owners would come to see them, he'd stall for time while he dragged them back inside momentarily. Needless to say I gave him an instant character analysis and then and there rang for a car transporter. I didn't want to go in too hard at that point until I had the vehicle off his property and safely back in my possession. Anger requires energy I can better use elsewhere - but every now and then I've had the opportunity to get my own back. I'd been asked to write for a classic car magazine that cso-happened to have adverisements for this bloke's car storage place inside. I thanked the editor for the offer but told him I would have nothing whatever to do with any publication that deals with this bloke - ring me back when you've dropped him. And they did.
I've had the Scout Car in my shed now for three years - it's now safe from the elements and spivs who run car storage sheds. In that time I've been slowly picking up and putting aside all the little bits and pieces I needed to finish the restoration. I've now got some time to start again - having sat idle for so long I'll be doing whatever it takes to bring it slowly back up to scratch. I've currently started a methodical clean-up of the vehicle - It'll get there. Attached is a photo of it in its home. As you can see -it's acquired rust where there was none so there's a hell of a lot to do... guards to come off etc...
Attached Thumbnails
scout car in shed .jpg  
Ford GPW
Old 13-12-12, 04:35

Warren, good luck with your vehicle. Perhaps you should put the lying, miserable pr.cks name and buisiness here for everyone to see.
Colin.
Old 13-12-12, 05:16
warren brown

Thanks Colin - i'm really enjoying being back on the job. It's a great truck and I'll post some more photos soon. In an era where you can be sued at the drop of a hat, I won't say the miserable bludger's name. But, whatever you do, never, ever use a car storage facility that might be near Sydney airport.
Ford GPW
Old 13-12-12, 12:28
Blitzed

Default scout car

Wow, what an absolute bastard.
Best of luck with the resto.
Old 14-12-12, 19:41

Warren,

What are the chassis/engine numbers, please?

Are you intent on restoring it to its Australian glory, or 'other'?

Mike C
Old 16-12-12, 12:01
Tony Baker

Warren,

That rectum of a so & so storage bloke needs a visit from a couple of eastern block fellas I know. The irony is that despite his prolonged fraudulant behaviour and obtaining financial benefit through deception, if he was to receive his 'comeupance' (lets say, around the knee area ), you would be the one in the wrong! Miserable bastard.

Looking forward to following your progress with an impressive military vehicle.
Old 21-12-12, 07:51

Warren.
Good to see that you are activationg the WSC . I am shure that it will reward you for the work that you put into it. will you be at Corowa ? If so we must catch up.

Ford GPW- script
#3A Ford Trailer
M3A1 White Scout Car
-Under restoration-
1941 Ford Truck (Tex Morton)
F15A Blitz
Radio sets- #19, #122, #62, ART13, and Command