MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 17-10-13, 10:11

Default Fires

Tony ,I hope that you and your little township are all OK, with lots of homes lost further down the mountains, seems the worst for years.
Old 19-10-13, 11:26
WO8 C15A 142736

The smoke from the fires made it to Yaven Creek by 09:00 today, that's not a good sign.
Old 20-10-13, 05:41
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Post Fires

Once again it seems like the entire eastern coast is alight...
Click image for larger version

Name:	NSWRFS01.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	61107 Click image for larger version

Name:	NSWRFS02.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	61108
Screen grabs from the NSW Rural Fire Service web site Fire Locator
I also highly recommend the RFS "Fires near Me" app available for iOS and Android.
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 20-10-13, 09:55

Default smoke

Called in at Clarence on my way to check up on Dad, the Zig Zag railway is a mess, sleepers burnt, wagons gone, the road into Tony,s burnt right up to the tar, and his neighbours very lucky right up to the fence . Its not finished there yet. The whole Lithgow area is a smouldering pile of ash and burning stumps just waiting for the wind to spread it. Dads place is OK for a day or two, but its heading his way, he,s already got burnt leaves dropping in the yard [ 20 klms ]. Two hundred homes now GONE.
Old 22-10-13, 07:54

I feel for all you people down there in the fire zone and pray that the loss of life will remain at a low rate.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 22-10-13, 08:50
Pops

Our son Michael has been to the fires and was at the Belles Line of Road near Bell when the fires took off in the wind, had a very hectic day especially Saturday. He got home Sunday as his trucks were replaced by teams from Victoria. thankfully they were all OK and no injuries, just tired. At least there hasn't been human loss like a few years ago. All the best to anyone involved.

Max and Kathy
Old 25-10-13, 17:33

Default Blackheath

My home at Blackheath is situated in one of the most threatened parts on the edge of town. It has been touch and go for days but calm again now. Meanwhile I have been flat out with my Rural Fire Service duties and will be required for days to come.

Cheers

Phill
Old 25-10-13, 23:02
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Wink Phil

Gday Phil,
I never realised you were in the Blue Mountains area ("sunny Australia" doesn't narrow it down much).
Good on you, and the rest of the volunteers, officials, police, 'townies' and your families for what has been an amazing effort.
With damage in the multiple tens of thousands of hectares, and home losses in the hundreds, the fact that only two lives have been lost is, to me, not a miracle, but testimony to the massive efforts of all concerned.
You and your colleagues can walk tall, my friend! Good luck as this tragedy continues to unfold.
Cheers,
Howard
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 26-10-13, 14:02
Corowa Project 30

Kevin Burne from Yellow Rock has lost 2 vehicles in the fire which started at Springwood. It took 18 minutes after some power lines came down at Springwood to go through his street. Only 4 houses have been left standing. Kevin's neighbour called him and Kevin and Glen managed to save his house. One part was affected but they managed to contain it. Many of you would know Kevin's GMC which went on Back To The Track and has been at Corowa a few times. He also lost a Chev Truck. His two jeeps were singed and at the moment he doesn't know whether two of his other vehicles in a shed have been damaged as he cant do too much until the insurance assessors have been to visit.

Kevin went through the 2001 fires which also threatened his Yellow Rock property and in 2007 fires in the Mudgee area went through a property he owns.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo01171.jpg   Photo01181.jpg  
Research & Development
THE COROWA YEAR 30 PROJECT
Old 28-10-13, 04:14

Default Fires

Hi Jan,
The picture I've attached shows the truck before hand - OMG the difference!
I had a look at the GMC yesterday and it's gonna take a bit of work to resurect but it will be back hopefully like new

Regards,
Brett
Attached Thumbnails
MaureensOct2006 001.jpg  
Old 18-01-14, 21:32
WO8 C15A 142736

A dry storm went through here yesterday afternoon and started quite a few fires. The valley is full of smoke. fortunately most of the fires are small but two are running out of control in rough country.
Old 19-01-14, 07:35
WO8 C15A 142736

The Minnimbah fire is out of control and has been upgraded to emergency warning. Latest update it covers 8050 ha.
Three homes confirmed destroyed.

Last edited by hrpearce; 19-01-14 at 08:16.
Old 19-01-14, 23:19

Default close

The fire at Dog Rock Rd near Rockley is in Matts area, and being pine forest, stay safe. Hope to catchup at the Steam Fair.
Old 20-01-14, 21:13
WO8 C15A 142736

The Minnimbah fire has burnt a lot of pine forest and at least one of the houses destroyed was occupied. It is now behind containment lines but expected to burn at least till the end of the week. The fire in the pine behind My boss Betty's is effectively out but still patrolled. The Minjary fire has claimed a lot of sheep but most cattle seam to have busted out and survived. The Sturgess fire between Batlow and Blowering dam hopefully is contained but I haven't herd much about it.
Old 21-01-14, 01:22
Bluebell

Just to give some perspective, It was reported last week that there were over 200 fires burning in Australia, caused by lightning.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 21-01-14, 04:14

Default What's in a name?

Perhaps we should try and get Kevin to change his last name Jan?
Seriously though, from the photographs the Jimmy seems to have survived the fire remarkably well.
Years ago I remember looking at a CCKW that had been through a fire which had caused the chassis to sag and the thing that stunned me was that the rear springs were also sagged and curved upwards at the ends. It's hard to imagine the intensity of fire needed to do that.
I also heard a story about a fellow out Whittlesea way that lost a collection of Jaguars in the Black Saturday fires of 2009. At least one of the cars had the aluminium engine melted away leaving the crankshaft still in situ.
No doubt there are many similar stories.

David
Old 21-01-14, 08:58
Tony Baker

Guys, I don't know how you southern folk manage to get up after something like these fires.

The love of the land must be strong.
Old 08-02-14, 21:21
Blitzed

Default vic fires

Stay safe those mlu'ers that live in Gippsland, looking bad over that way.

I still say the RAAF should have a dedicated fire bombing sqn. Instead of giving away our hercs to indonesia and such, they could still have an important role nationally.
Old 09-02-14, 13:36
aut viam inveniam aut fac

just looked up the zigzag railway (burnt last year?).. amazing -and sad- to think that looters came in afterward..

It so sad to think of all the history (and hard work) gone in the burnt vehicles. I mean who cares if a 2010 or so honda or toyota burns...but original Jags, and all the WW2 stuff.. tragic.. once its gone...its gone forever

We in N Am hear so little of these major fires...the news being more concerned with
politicians antics on the national scene, and locally, fires, car accidents and robberies..and sadly most people if they bother to listen to any news, tend to listen to local news.

Of course Canada has hundreds (literally) of fires, many of them massive, across the boreal forest, but as these tend to be more northerly, there are very very few communities, and generally result in much less infrastructure and personal loss.

With global warming, these fires are only going to get worse in the years ahead (as told to me personally by scientists and climatologists)
Old 09-02-14, 20:43

Fifteen homes have been destroyed in the last 24 hours. The Mickleham fire has travelled over 40 km in the same time despite the cool change yesterday afternoon.
Hard to believe that people only 20 km away have faced and are facing disaster while we had a quiet, comfortable night.
There but for the grace of God.

David

Latest update, at least 20 homes gone.

Last edited by motto; 09-02-14 at 21:03. Reason: Update
Old 09-02-14, 22:15
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Same here

We were watching the Warrandyte fire from the paddock behind our place, could see the water bombers in action.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 10-02-14, 06:19
Rick Cove

Default Close call in Gippsland.

Yesterday the Gippsland Historical Automobile Club Inc. held its annual display day at Morwell. A stinking hot day (42C and a strong North Westerly blowing) and the numbers were down by about 2/3's.

I took the 1977 Leyland truck and as the presentations finished, the CFA (Country Fire Authority) raced into our Club grounds and ordered everyone to evacuate. The Morwell-Hearns Oak fire had broken containment lines and was heading past us to the south and a very strong south west change was imminent. Almost everyone scattered fast to the east through Morwell and within 10 minutes the fire was at the Club grounds

Name:	1623724_718072934891990_1015272747_n.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	63400

Name:	1779148_718072908225326_108287841_n.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	63398

This was the only road out and was blocked within minutes.

Name:	1604902_718072924891991_2030030987_n.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	63399

One member and his grandson stayed at the Club grounds and managed to save the property. The pony club on one side, the archery club on the other and the motorcycle club to the rear of our clubs 10 acre block all suffered badly as did the gun club further down the road.

Thanks to Ron and Aaron, the GHAC Club rooms were saved.

We were quite pleased to head eastward and none of our group were injured. Thanks CFA for your advice to leave.

The main Princes Highway and railway towards Melbourne, westward, were closed and hundreds of people were to remain in Morwell and Traralgon for the night. Some of our members from the west booked out a Morwell motel as they couldn't get home.

We were glad to get home and find that all was OK in our area.

Regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 10-02-14, 11:48
Blitzed

Shit rick, that's close. Stay safe.
Old 10-02-14, 11:52
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Toners lane ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx42 View Post
Yesterday the Gippsland Historical Automobile Club Inc. held its annual display day at Morwell. A stinking hot day (42C and a strong North Westerly blowing) and the numbers were down by about 2/3's.

I took the 1977 Leyland truck and as the presentations finished, the CFA (Country Fire Authority) raced into our Club grounds and ordered everyone to evacuate. The Morwell-Hearns Oak fire had broken containment lines and was heading past us to the south and a very strong south west change was imminent. Almost everyone scattered fast to the east through Morwell and within 10 minutes the fire was at the Club grounds

Attachment 63400

Attachment 63398

This was the only road out and was blocked within minutes.

Attachment 63399

One member and his grandson stayed at the Club grounds and managed to save the property. The pony club on one side, the archery club on the other and the motorcycle club to the rear of our clubs 10 acre block all suffered badly as did the gun club further down the road.

Thanks to Ron and Aaron, the GHAC Club rooms were saved.

We were quite pleased to head eastward and none of our group were injured. Thanks CFA for your advice to leave.

The main Princes Highway and railway towards Melbourne, westward, were closed and hundreds of people were to remain in Morwell and Traralgon for the night. Some of our members from the west booked out a Morwell motel as they couldn't get home.

We were glad to get home and find that all was OK in our area.

Regards Rick.
Rick

Was that event held at Toners lane ? Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 10-02-14, 12:24
Rick Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
Rick

Was that event held at Toners lane ? Mike
Yes Mike. The GHAC has 10 acres with our Club rooms etc. It was Bl%%dy close, but thanks to two members who would not leave, all is OK.

Regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 10-02-14, 13:49

Default Picnic at Hanging Rock

The annual Picnic at Hanging Rock Car Show which was scheduled to take place yesterday, Sunday the 9th, was put off until a later date due to forecast weather conditions.
There is usually around 2,500 - 3,000 vehicles and 5,000 - 8,000 people attend.
The result of a fire racing through the area on the day like happened at the GHAC event doesn't bear thinking about.

David
Old 10-02-14, 19:48
WO8 C15A 142736

The trouble with fire is even if you are well organised and have an escape plan you can't take everything with you and generations of history gets destroyed.
I hope we all get some rain soon to settle the fire season down as being put on stand by could ruin any plans for Corowa.
Old 10-02-14, 21:06
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Montgomery View Post
Of course Canada has hundreds (literally) of fires, many of them massive, across the boreal forest, but as these tend to be more northerly, there are very very few communities, and generally result in much less infrastructure and personal loss.
Wildfires are attacked immediately when they are encountered. The idea is to keep the burns supervised, but not to extinguish them completely. The forests need fire to regenerate. Fires are a provincial responsibity (as are forests). There are no-notice attack crews on standby throughout the summer, sitting with their kit loaded on contracted helicopters. The water bombers and spotter planes are on call if these hard-a$$ guys decide they can't steer it satisfactorily. Someone mentioned the big Martin Mars waterbombers on Vancouver Island in another thread.

There are behaviour and predictive models that use weather, soil moisture, forest floor compostion, slope and past burn history to predict where things will likely get more interesting. One big difference between US and Canadian firefighting doctrine is, the Americans dig huge firebreaks and let things burn down, while Canadians use hoses and pumps to extinguish the flames.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 11-02-14, 00:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpearce View Post
I hope we all get some rain soon to settle the fire season down as being put on stand by could ruin any plans for Corowa.
Robert,
The ironic thing is that I am coming over there to get away from the rain. It has been incessant since before Christmas. Ground saturated, rivers full, roads breaking up. Luckily the bad flooding is not affecting me, but some places in Somerset have been isolated for 5 weeks. We would gladly send you some rain, but no idea how to get it to you. Hope you stay safe and can get down to Corowa.
regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 11-02-14, 00:59
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx42 View Post
Yes Mike. The GHAC has 10 acres with our Club rooms etc. It was Bl%%dy close, but thanks to two members who would not leave, all is OK.

Regards Rick.
I was listening on my scanner..the cops were going nuts because somebody was left behind in the fire at Toners lane ............ they were trying to get to him ... they called for backup . Anyway it turned out OK thankfully .

THE SMOKE IS very THICK HERE TODAY ..the sun is blocked out ..its a eerie feeling like armageddon mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad