MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 03-01-06, 23:22
Pops

Default fires

A fire approximately one and a half hours west of us at a town called Junee has burnt 25000 hectares, 5 homes, 15000 head of stock and other various buildings and fences. The fire my have been started by a cigarette butt thrown out a car window. I went to one fire 60 kms from here which burnt 4000 hectares and 2000 head of stock on New Years Day. Others went to a fire at Boorowa about an hour north of here yesterday, which burnt 500 hectares. Everyone is getting edgey as there has been a lot of wind with really high temperatures, thankfully today so far is cool at 19 celcius still at 9.30 am.

Max
Old 03-01-06, 23:31

Default Re: fires

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Hedges
Others went to a fire at Boorowa about an hour north of here yesterday, which burnt 500 hectares.
Hello Max,

I've been watching the news reports on ABC, not good in some places. You mentioned Boorowa, not Bay's place I hope?

Best of luck, hope conditions change for the better soon.

Richard
Old 04-01-06, 00:12
Derek Heuring

Default Re: fires

Quote:
A fire approximately one and a half hours west of us at a town called Junee has burnt 25000 hectares, 5 homes, 15000 head of stock and other various buildings and fences. The fire my have been started by a cigarette butt thrown out a car window. I went to one fire 60 kms from here which burnt 4000 hectares and 2000 head of stock on New Years Day. Others went to a fire at Boorowa about an hour north of here yesterday, which burnt 500 hectares. Everyone is getting edgey as there has been a lot of wind with really high temperatures, thankfully today so far is cool at 19 celcius still at 9.30 am.

Max

Hey Max, unfortunately N. Texas is in the middle of a drought right now also, we've barely received 1/2 of our annual rainfall which is a scant 36". (Parts of British Columbia where I used to live receive in excess of 200"!) The weather continues to be unseasonably warm (high today 84!) which with low humidity and strong winds have turned north Texas into a tinderbox. Every evening the news reports a new grass fire which has threatened a town somewhere. Last night a wildfire burnt 8000 acres and the entire town of Ringgold. Governor Perry has declared several counties disaster areas and is asking for Federal assistance.
Old 09-01-06, 15:04
Vets Dottir

Default Fires ...

... I DO hope all those fires that were raging have all settled down or been doused by now?

Worried for you-all and Wondering,

Karmen.
Old 09-01-06, 15:58
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Fires ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
... I DO hope all those fires that were raging have all settled down or been doused by now?

Worried for you-all and Wondering,

Karmen.

Unfortunately there has been no respite to our unrelentingly warm, dry weather. I feel guilty revelling in such georgeous weather which has burnt so many homes and farms. I hope that you Ma, as an ex-west Coaster can understand. I lived 46 years in Vancouver's rain and clouds and I'm soaking my pour wet, cold Canadian bones in Texas' heat and lovin' it! But don't get me wrong, Vancouver is one of the world's prettiest cities.....when the sun shines! I do miss the recreational possibilities of both Vancouver and B.C. though, which are unsurpassed in the world!
Old 09-01-06, 16:22
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Fires ...

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Unfortunately there has been no respite to our unrelentingly warm, dry weather. I feel guilty revelling in such georgeous weather which has burnt so many homes and farms. I hope that you Ma, as an ex-west Coaster can understand. I lived 46 years in Vancouver's rain and clouds and I'm soaking my pour wet, cold Canadian bones in Texas' heat and lovin' it! But don't get me wrong, Vancouver is one of the world's prettiest cities.....when the sun shines! I do miss the recreational possibilities of both Vancouver and B.C. though, which are unsurpassed in the world!
I agree with you about all the perks you mention about Vancouver and BC itself... I miss it so much, but never, ever do i miss the chronic grey skies and wetness ... and yes, when the sunshines, it's absolute magic, and wonderful to see crocuses and daffodils early (they'll probably poke up there soon) You're right, Vancouver is a pretty city ... and Kitsilano area gorgeous. Tons to see and do.

I TOTALLY understand you're loving the dry heat and basking in it, believe me. I'd love to visit Texas some time, to test out that warmth and dryness to soothe me old bones too!

Regards the drought and fires ... that's harsh ... maybe the cosmos will conspire to send down torrents of water (not too much) and hold the lightening, dousing any fires and smoulderings, until the dry earth absorbs water to the roots of things so they can grow and blossom ... Mama Earth must do things in her own way though. NOTHING is forever. I sometimes think that Mama Earth, like aging women, is going through a transitional menopausal moments as her insides change with age and like menopausal Mama's, there are many more unpredictable and extreme moments?

Ah well ... maybe some more coffee will wake me up better so I'm not half in never-never land as i type? (shut up HBM-O )

Karmen
Old 21-01-06, 07:44
Pops

Default hot and fires in South Aust.

Bob I just saw on the news that you have a heat wave over your way and quite a few fires burning. Aparently NSW are sending fire trucks to help battle the fires. Hope your airconditioner is working 40 deg c plus for tomorrow for you.
Max
Old 21-01-06, 13:48

Default Re: hot and fires in South Aust.

Quote:
Bob I just saw on the news that you have a heat wave over your way ................ Hope your airconditioner is working 40 deg c plus for tomorrow for you.
Max,

40 deg C !!
This week it is reported that Moscow was down to minus 40 deg C and the arctic weather is supposed to be coming our way and will reach UK by end of next week.

Richard
Old 21-01-06, 20:03
Film maker, CMP addict

Default More of the same here...

This article is in this morning's Melbourne "Age" newspaper:

"Victoria is bracing for a day of severe fire danger today as temperatures soar to 43 degrees in Melbourne and hotter elsewhere, and firefighters continue to battle blazes across the state.

The Country Fire Authority has declared today its first statewide total fire ban day for the summer, with high winds forecast.

"Under these conditions, a fire that gets going will spread very quickly," CFA spokesman Alex Toomey said. "We're expecting extreme fire behaviour."

The Department of Sustainability and Environment has urged people in high-risk fire areas to make early decisions on whether to stay and defend their homes or evacuate quickly.

The ban follows a day of furious fires across the state, which destroyed 8500 hectares. There was also distress at the Australian Open tennis tournament, with many fans succumbing to extreme heat.

Melbourne's temperature peaked at 40.2 degrees.

Fire came within two kilometres of the hamlet of Moondarra and the township of Erica, in Gippsland, yesterday before changing direction.

The department said the blaze, which was spread over 3500 hectares early last night, was expected to continue burning in a southerly direction towards Yallourn North and Tanjil.

The CFA issued a smoke and ember alert for residents at Jacobs Creek and Old Coach roads, near Erica, in the foothills of Mount Baw Baw.

Elsewhere in the state, residents around Steiglitz, 90 minutes' drive west of Melbourne, had their properties threatened by a blaze travelling south-west, with the CFA warning that smoke and embers would reach their properties.

At Yallakar, 18 kilometres south-west of Edenhope, in the state's south-west, fire burnt through more than 4100 hectares of native bush and grassland before being contained.

Near the Grampians, the Borough Huts and Jimmy Creek camping grounds were closed as fire burned 15 kilometres south of Halls Gap, in the eastern area of the Grampians National Park.

Communities adjoining the fire area, including those at Halls Gap, Glenthompson, Dunkeld and Mirrranatwa, have been advised to activate their bushfire plans today.

The department has spoken to interstate fire teams about asking for support.

Yesterday's heatwave forced the cancellation of horse races at Stony Creek, as well as in Adelaide, which has now had four consecutive days of maximum temperatures above 40 — the first time since 1908."

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 21-01-06, 21:04
Pops

Default temperatures

It's funny that we are sitting here with as little clothing as possible and poor old Richard will be wearing every article of clothing he can find.

Max
Old 21-01-06, 21:17

Max,

Only similarity we have with you guys in Aus. is that we have a water shortage. Local resevoir only has 30% of its normal capacity and we have had a hosepipe ban since the summer. Unheard of in winter normally.

Richard
Old 21-01-06, 22:04
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: temperatures

Quote:
It's funny that we are sitting here with as little clothing as possible and poor old Richard will be wearing every article of clothing he can find.

Max
Max, please, please PLEASE DON'T post any naked photographs.

As for the heat, I walked past the FGT around 10pm last night and the wheels and hubs were actually quite hot as though it had been in use!

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 22-01-06, 00:43
Pops

Default clothing

keefy I didn't say anything about being naked, I still have my pants on cause I don't want Kathy to have a heart attack and Ems wouldn't be impressed either if I didn't have them on. We also have some young shearers here until lunch time today.

Richard I thought it rained over there all the time and never knew you to have water problems.

Max
Old 22-01-06, 00:47
Pops

Default fires

I went out to Junee the other day to look at the fires and went to visit an old house and there was 3 chev blitzes parked out the front , boy was Kathy impressed. The town of Junee was very lucky as the fire burnt right into it.

Max
Old 22-01-06, 01:08

Default Re: clothing

Quote:
Richard I thought it rained over there all the time and never knew you to have water problems.

Max,

We do have rain, but not enough to fill the reservoirs. Where I am it comes from bore holes, water permeates through the chalk hills into underground. The main problem is there are too many people drawing on it and not appreciating the problem.

Richard
Old 22-01-06, 10:23
Robert Farmer

Default What Clothes?

Heres Max and Russel cooling off Aussie style. Must be a creek somewhere on your place Max!
Attached Thumbnails
blitz trip9 04.jpg  
Old 22-01-06, 11:19
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Cooling off

That's some swimming pool you have there!

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 22-01-06, 11:19
Pops

Default Re: What Clothes?

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Farmer
Heres Max and Russel cooling off Aussie style. Must be a creek somewhere on your place Max!
I'm the good looking bloke.
Max
Old 24-01-06, 03:18
Likes Wusty Old Twuks

Default Max is the ONE

Yeah two very well rounded Military Vehicle collectors discussing the days events in the pool. Max is the one with the man boobs.

PS Ladies niether of us would be described as pretty boys but we are the well worn ruged types

Old 07-02-06, 23:44
Pops

Default south of wagga wagga

A fire started south of wagga wagga on Monday burning 9200 hectares, 11000 sheep two hay sheds and closing the Hume Highway for 26 hours.At the moment the fire is under control with crew going from Yass to assist and coming back last night. The cause is still unknown and is under investigation. We certainly had plenty of smoke coming this way.

Max
Old 08-02-06, 01:11
Derek Heuring

Default Re: south of wagga wagga

Quote:
A fire started south of wagga wagga on Monday burning 9200 hectares, 11000 sheep ...

Max

I guess the sheep were running more scared than usual, eh Max!

CHIMO!