MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 03-12-03, 03:12
RIP

Default Signalling flags

Is anyone familiar with the signalling flags used in U.C's. If so, can you provide part numbers,photos,spec's,etc.? Did they come in set of three,(red,yellow,green),in a canvas bag?Any help will be appreciated.
Old 03-12-03, 11:49
British Indian Army

Default Now you've done it!!

Carrier signalling flags..... I don't know how much help I'm going to be but here goes! In carrier stowage diagrams you see signalling flags listed but no description as to which ones they are. From other documentation I have discovered that signalling flags issued and/or used in carriers and/or carrier platoons could be any of the following:

1) A set of three flags; Yellow rectangle (Come On); Green swallow tail (Go); Red triangle (Stop). Other commands used by waving/holding these flags in different positions.

2) A set of two flags; Blue rectangle and Red rectangle. Blue flag used in different positions could signal Follow Me, Stop, Retire (love that word!!), Form Line whilst the Red flag used to signal Fire Mounted Action and Dismounted Action.

3) A set of two boards; Orange 9" circle with a 15" pole and a Black and White 9" square with a 15" pole. Both painted khaki on the reverse.

4) A set of three flags; A Red, White and Blue horizontally striped rectangle, three stripes of even width (Rally), A Green and White rectangle diagonally divided bottom left to top right with green on top (Come On) and a Red and Yellow rectangle diagonally divided bottom left to top right with red on top (Out of Action).

Also used on carriers but not issued are the semiphore blue and white signal flags and the tank signalling flags. I also have a photograph showing a bren crew signalling to their carrier to pick them up (Come On) with a white or yellow triangular flag!!??

These are purely the signalling flags which were used on carriers and are documented in various literature and photographs. On top of all these there are also the rank and identification flags but enough is enough me thinks!!

Hope this helps. My carrier is equipped with the first ones mentioned which I made up from suitably aged cloth flags of the colours.

Nigel