MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 21-10-16, 01:09
GM Fox I

Default Wireless of the Week - week 36

The Wireless Set No.53 is another one of those monsters I’d think twice about owning even if one turned up, which is unlikely because they are quite scarce. It was originally designated Wireless Set No.43 however the Canadian No.43 was a little faster getting into service and retained that number instead.

Developed in 1944 from the earlier High Power No.12 and No.33 sets, The No.53 was more correctly a sender that was used in conjunction with a standalone Reception Set R107. It was a medium powered, long range set operated most commonly in armoured command vehicles and 60 cwt ‘Command, High Power’ wireless lorries. The set with its supply unit was 57” tall, 26-1/2” wide, 29” deep and weighed 600 lbs. Its frequency range was 1.2 to 17.5 MHz in five ranges and it could transmit up to 100 miles voice and 500 miles CW. Power requirement was 210 to 250V AC and 12V DC supplied by vehicle mounted generators. An Aerial Coupling No.2A mounted on the top of the set matched it to typical British aerial equipment such as 16 foot F Sections and 34’ Telescopic masts. Remote operation was possible using Remote Control Units H No.1 (local unit) and No.2 (remote unit).

No.53 sets were used in rear areas going forward only as far as divisional headquarters. It was also used post war with the R209 reception set replacing the R107.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

Old 21-10-16, 01:56
Brent

Default Ws53

at a small local Museum an hours drive from me.

A sad story, in my opinion, the museum was started by 4 Hams back in the 70s, they are all silent key now.

The radio collection, which has some rare and interesting kit, is now overshadowed by a collection of local 'memorabilia' much as any other local museum collects.

Brent.
NZ
Attached Thumbnails
WS53.jpg  
Old 29-10-16, 08:10
Brent

Default in the field

a couple of neat images of a WS53 'in the field'.
I can't even recall where i found them...one of the Brit Sig battalions websites.

Malta, post WW2

Initially I was excited as it included an R209 which I hadn't seen in service before.
Even the BC221 is interesting in this environment.
not to mention the teapot

Brent
Attached Thumbnails
WS53 & teapot reciever....jpg   WS53 & R209 reciever....jpg  
Old 29-10-16, 11:39
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by things_green View Post
a couple of neat images of a WS53 'in the field'.
I can't even recall where i found them...one of the Brit Sig battalions websites.

Malta, post WW2

Initially I was excited as it included an R209 which I hadn't seen in service before.
Even the BC221 is interesting in this environment.
not to mention the teapot

Brent
I don't think that's Malta, those photos show two different WS53s, probably in the same nissen hut, and the board at the foot of the set is most likely for the destination end of the link. It's probably somewhere in North Africa or around the Mediterranean for a major base. (Middle East Command?)

Chris.
Old 29-10-16, 12:14
Brent

thanks for that Chris......

still great images' though.

I have a dim recollection of the website confirming the Malta Aspect....but history changes depending on aspect and memory.
Keith W loved the R209 'in action'.

Brent

Last edited by things_green; 30-10-16 at 03:20. Reason: more info
Old 29-10-16, 14:13
Junior Password Gnome

Very definitely, and thanks for posting them.

Chris.