MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 08-06-13, 07:16

Default Reproduction M38A1 tub?

Good day All,

I am looking to replace a tub on my 1967 M38A1, it currently has over ten body patches and looks as if it was used to try out every possible type of patch.
Who makes the best reproduction tub?
I have posted pictures what you see plus the floor, wheel well tops and tank well are all patches. Most of the tub is held together with pop rivets.
Please advise.

1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08790
Cold Lake AB
Old 08-06-13, 13:16
3RD ECHELON WKSP

The best tub is sold by Willys Overland in Toledo OH.
They are strictly a jeep parts dealer who has the rights to use the original name on their business.
They purchase MD Juan tubs I believe and re-work them using specially made jigs and fixtures to ensure a perfect fit to NOS parts. They even go so far as to manufacture some pieces of the body tub which they know are incorrect, fit, measure and weld back into place.
They are not cheap but if you consider the original cost of a repro tub and the headaches that you will have with it, paying a little extra is well worth the money.
I am considering one myself for my 1970 M38A1 CDN3.
I think the md juan ones are around 3000 for just the tub alone and I think the price from Willys Overland is about 1000 more with the rework, but you are best to contact them for a quote.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 08-06-13, 13:19
carrier mech

As far as I know, all the repro tubs these days are MD Juan. There were some serious quality control issues a few years back, particularly in the fit of the tubs, but I have not been hearing those complaints so much lately.

I have also seen a few NOS early 60s USMC tubs surface on the G503 in the last few years. Not cheap, but not repro either.

Personally, my money says repair your tub. If the under floor channels are rusted out, you can have the tub off a M38A1 in a day. If the wheel well patches are the proper ribbed ones, drill out the pop rivets and replace them with weld. There are body sections available out of the US as well which can replace sides or corners if need be.
Old 08-06-13, 16:09
Terry Warner

Default Repair

I agree with Rob on repairing the existing body. It is the Jeep in my opinion. The Canadian 1970 contract was the absolute last production run of M38A1 vehicles. Who is to say the aftermarket body will have all the right holes, in the right places and with the correct Canadian variations? And, ask yourself if you are a parts changer or a fixer?

The more I look at my vehicles, the less I am inclined to make wholesale changes. We don't own these things. We keep them for the next generation. By making nonoriginal changes, the authenticity is lost.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 08-06-13, 19:01

Default repor tub

Hello Craig

It looks like your M38A1 has had the same patches that i had on mine.

Years ago when i was inexperienced i did a body on frame semi restoration.

I had the patches removed and sandblasted and painted and then put back together.

There were issues with the body shop i had paint it, as they left it outside after i had sandblasted it and then it rained on it before they primed it. It was rsuting out again in no time

If i was to do it again, and it was in the same condition, i would have taken the body off the frame and worked on it. Not sure if i would have put the patches back on but would have definetly put in plates where it was cut out. This was suppose to have been done but doing it on the frame didn't help the floor and inner wheel wells.

I am now redoing it and bought myself a used but beat up tub out of the USA.

thanks

Eric
Old 12-06-13, 20:49

Default restorable tub

I have looked at the cost to ship on in from the States and best just to ask if someone in western Canada has a restorable tub. What is hard to see is the number and location of the patches and that patches hold on patches.
So I will ask if any one has a tub out there.
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08790
Cold Lake AB
Old 12-06-13, 23:34
carrier mech

I think there is still a tub in Westbourne MB. Shoot me a PM and I can send you his phone number, or you can look it up under portage laprairie. Al's prices are resonable. The tub will need some work, but not nearly what you are starting with.
Old 13-06-13, 02:01

MD Juan is participating in a few of the Jeep forums in order to improve their
product. They are asking for criticisim of their line and trying to implement changes. Brian Gough, Wilf Alexander and I went to the Jeep Reunion in Madison Ohio and got to meet Rommel Juan and he put on a presentation which included this video. There were lots of Jeeps there and the ones with the repo bodies were real nice. After looking at these I think if I was doing a fairly rotten Jeep I would opt for a tub. If originality is an issue for the "Jeep Police" then there would have to be a limit for the amount of Chinese body metal used in a restoration.
Cheers,
Barry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQJnVX29X_I

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.