MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 01-10-14, 19:56

Default Microphone, Respirator No. 1

Thought I would post some images of one of these items, in case some of you out there were not aware of them.

This one is an NOS Canadian one, and from what I can find on the web, a No. 2 version was also produced and they seem to be capable of being fitted to more than one type of World War 2 Respirator. The microphone case is black bakelite (the brown tone is just incandescent light glare. The conical back of the case has the 'GE' logo cast into the end of the cone. The cable and No. 10 plug assembly has a yellow tag on it with red printing: Northern Electric Company Limited, POS 4115 CORD, MADE IN CANADA, PATENTED 1929

The face of the microphone case has a black 'C-Broad Arrow' stamp on it, along with a yellow circular stamp with some hard to read markings inside.

From what I can tell, this microphone is an open mic design. Once plugged in, it is always on. There is no press to talk switch on it at all. This would appear to limit the wireless equipment it could be used with, and finding that info on line is a bit of a challenge. If any one knows what Wireless Sets this mic was issued for, please let us know.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Mic. Resp. No. 1 A.JPG   Mic. Resp. No. 1 B.JPG   Mic. Resp. No. 1 C.JPG  
Old 02-10-14, 00:38
Junior Password Gnome

Standard for the Wireless Set No.18 and similar. The operator puts his respirator on, plugs the mike in, but continues to control the transmit/receive with the hand microphone (since that switches the valve filament supply). The microphones are connected in parallel on most sets, with the possible exception of the WS18 Mk.IIIT

The other respirator microphone is for switchboard and similar applications (some remote control units, perhaps), and has a two pin plug moulded into the unit which matches the "Transmitter, Breast" connection. In use, you unplug the harness cable from the breast set and fit it to the respirator microphone.

The inserts are identical for both respirator microphones, and are a gas-tight version of the standard telephone/hand microphone insert. A rubber sealing ring is supplied with them to ensure an airtight seal between the front of the insert and the front portion of the housing that connects to the facepiece.

Chris.

***** Important Warning from the Elves who drink Safe Tea *****

Do Not, under any circumstances, put on any respirator made prior to approximately 1956.
Everything before that time used asbestos in the filter elements. The "Service" respirator with hose and flattened canister contains crocidolite (Blue Asbestos). The "Civilian Duty" (ARP and switchboard operators, etc.) and civilian respirators with the round canisters (no hose) contain chrysotile (white asbestos), and the upgrade "green can" Contex filter that can be fitted to the front of those (intended to protect against Arsine) also contains blue asbestos. Modern respirator filters are made from spun glass fibres and are fairly safe.
Old 03-05-15, 15:47

I have about 30 of those mics, yesterday I bought the proper Canadian Gas Mask with the mic installed

Dean
Old 11-06-15, 04:36

Dean, hey man post some pics please and thanks!
I've never seen a complete one!

Thanks again,
Cheers,
Bruce
Old 11-06-15, 15:33

Bruce I do not know how to post photos here, send me an email and I will send you photos of the proper gas mask with this mic installed, and you can post them.

Dean
Old 14-06-15, 04:19

Thanks to Dean for forwarding the pics of this rare gem. You never cease to amaze me with the "finds"
Lots of mics around but few masks!

Perhaps Simundson will part with some masks when he close his Beanery!

Harris
Attached Thumbnails
Gas 1.jpg   gas 2.jpg  
Old 16-10-17, 16:55

An old ish thread I know... but seemed the best place to put this...

Thought you might be interested to see this Tannoy variation on the Microphone, Respirator No 1 I got recently.

Unsure when these were introduced (I assume WW2) and quite when used... have never seen one before, or photos or documentation about them (but perhaps I've not lifted the right rock yet).

If anyone has any info, would be greatly appreciated.

Microphone, Respirators, Power, No. 1, YA 2816:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tannoy-Resp-Mic-No1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	599.1 KB
ID:	94787

Cheers

Tim
Old 16-10-17, 22:53
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bell View Post
An old ish thread I know... but seemed the best place to put this...

Thought you might be interested to see this Tannoy variation on the Microphone, Respirator No 1 I got recently.

Unsure when these were introduced (I assume WW2) and quite when used... have never seen one before, or photos or documentation about them (but perhaps I've not lifted the right rock yet).

If anyone has any info, would be greatly appreciated.

Microphone, Respirators, Power, No. 1, YA 2816:
Aha! That's got the 3-pin socket fitted, so is most likely for the Apparatus (or Telephone) Loudspeaking sets used by the artillery. It would also fit the ECC (Emergency Crew Communication) box fitted to tanks, but I'm not sure if they were issued with it - I suspect they would have been, later on, but it's tank intercom and not really part of the radio kit. (It might also require the commander to have two gasmasks, one with each microphone type, if he needed to use both systems on a regular basis, and I suspect the ECC procedure would be more like "take a very deep breath, lift mask, bellow into standard Tannoy mike, and replace mask" in the event of a gas attack combined with intercom failure.)

The Artillery would need the kit for prolonged use in case of gas attack, so it's most likely intended for use with the telephones L.S. and similar kit.

Either way, it's a very nice find, and the only one I've ever seen.

Chris.
Old 17-10-17, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz View Post
Aha! That's got the 3-pin socket fitted, so is most likely for the Apparatus (or Telephone) Loudspeaking sets used by the artillery. It would also fit the ECC (Emergency Crew Communication) box fitted to tanks, but I'm not sure if they were issued with it - I suspect they would have been, later on, but it's tank intercom and not really part of the radio kit. (It might also require the commander to have two gasmasks, one with each microphone type, if he needed to use both systems on a regular basis, and I suspect the ECC procedure would be more like "take a very deep breath, lift mask, bellow into standard Tannoy mike, and replace mask" in the event of a gas attack combined with intercom failure.)

The Artillery would need the kit for prolonged use in case of gas attack, so it's most likely intended for use with the telephones L.S. and similar kit.

Chris.
Chris

Seems I have lucked out here - had no idea they were that rare!

Will hang onto this one for the tank.

Cheers

Tim
Old 22-10-17, 11:13

Hello
Thanks for all informations about this microphone respirator
The british version of this microphone of the N°2 version.
As you see, the cable can be disconnect from the microphone.
regards
daniel from france

Old 23-10-17, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz View Post

Chris.
How about 4 then

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tannoy-Resp-Mic-No1-b.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	453.5 KB
ID:	94974

Tim
Old 23-10-17, 21:54
Junior Password Gnome

Argh!!

Chris.
Old 19-11-17, 09:01

Hello
as we can see on yours microphone respirator, i think they wher used for the artillery transmission système.

We can see on the loud speaker control box the same connector as you have on your respirator for remplace the standart microphone in case of gaz alarme.

Photos from https://hatchfive.wordpress.com/category/radio/

link : http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...d.php?p=226775
Old 21-11-17, 17:11

These mics will fit most WW2 Canadian Gas Masks, you have to cut out the round bit on the one side

DEan