Name:	Antenna Base.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	85869

Cheers

Tim
Old 18-10-16, 01:27
Junior Password Gnome

Top half of Aerial Lead-in No.16 Mk.1, I think. It's for various command vehicles using the WS19HP or bigger sets (e.g WS53, RCA ET4336).

Basically it's an Aerial Base No.3 bypassed by tinned copper braid straps to a metal disc underneath with a central bolt. The bolt is fitted to a large ceramic 'mushroom' insulator (Insulator, W/T, 'H') on a circular mounting flange. This fits to an adapter plate for the vehicle roof, or a different adapter plate to a metal bracket on the front of a "house type body" radio truck. Aerial feeder connects to the large threaded bolt under the insulator, and it takes either Aerial Rods 'D' or various adapters for 'F' rods (a single straight one, or a twin 'V' are the usual type.

The tinned copper straps bypass (electrically) the rubber base, which is not suitable for high power use but retained for vibration mounting on the moving vehicle.

It allows the use of an 8 - 16ft vertical made of 'F' rods, a twin 16-ft sloping 'V' for use on the move, or a static 34-ft vertical aerial.

The Mk.2 version had four 'studs' on the upper part of the mounting flange that took a 'Bracket, Aerial Supporting' (discussed earlier on the group) to help take the weight of the 34-ft mast. (The original Base No'3 was intended for duralumin mast sections, but WW2 production was switched to steel.)

The later Aerial Lead-in (No.25?), and the one fitted to the K9 for use with the D11/R230 setup was all ceramic and did not have any vibration mounting rubber section.

Chris. (Wearing out his copy of Wireless for the Warrior Volume 2 again!)
Old 18-10-16, 04:32

Tim is this the same base on the left side of the truck? I must credit you for graciously sending me this photo.
Cheers,
Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Aerial Stowage.jpg  
Old 18-10-16, 10:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz View Post
Top half of Aerial Lead-in No.16 Mk.1, I think. It's for various command vehicles using the WS19HP or bigger sets (e.g WS53, RCA ET4336).

Basically it's an Aerial Base No.3 bypassed by tinned copper braid straps to a metal disc underneath with a central bolt. The bolt is fitted to a large ceramic 'mushroom' insulator (Insulator, W/T, 'H') on a circular mounting flange. This fits to an adapter plate for the vehicle roof, or a different adapter plate to a metal bracket on the front of a "house type body" radio truck. Aerial feeder connects to the large threaded bolt under the insulator, and it takes either Aerial Rods 'D' or various adapters for 'F' rods (a single straight one, or a twin 'V' are the usual type.

The tinned copper straps bypass (electrically) the rubber base, which is not suitable for high power use but retained for vibration mounting on the moving vehicle.

It allows the use of an 8 - 16ft vertical made of 'F' rods, a twin 16-ft sloping 'V' for use on the move, or a static 34-ft vertical aerial.

The Mk.2 version had four 'studs' on the upper part of the mounting flange that took a 'Bracket, Aerial Supporting' (discussed earlier on the group) to help take the weight of the 34-ft mast. (The original Base No'3 was intended for duralumin mast sections, but WW2 production was switched to steel.)

The later Aerial Lead-in (No.25?), and the one fitted to the K9 for use with the D11/R230 setup was all ceramic and did not have any vibration mounting rubber section.

Chris. (Wearing out his copy of Wireless for the Warrior Volume 2 again!)
Chris

Thanks - Bedford QLR was where my thoughts had gone, but I couldn't find any pics online... and my copy of WFWv2 is at home and I am away for work.

I will look forward to a read when I get my new toy home.

Cheers

Tim
Old 18-10-16, 11:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Churcher View Post
Tim is this the same base on the left side of the truck? I must credit you for graciously sending me this photo.
Cheers,
Barry
Barry

It does look very much like it... bit more investigation required.

Are you in need of one of these?

Nice photo!

Cheers

Tim
Old 18-10-16, 11:37
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Cheers,
Barry
Interesting... the base on the LHS is Aerial Base No.3 (which is a component part of the base that Tim has), but it's entirely unsuitable for the WS52 masts shown fitted to the vehicle. I suspect it originally had a W.S. 9 fitted and used the 34-ft sectional mast made up of 'D' rods (aka the "golf bag" aerial).

Chris.
Old 18-10-16, 12:03

Quote:
Interesting... the base on the LHS is Aerial Base No.3 (which is a component part of the base that Tim has), but it's entirely unsuitable for the WS52 masts shown fitted to the vehicle. I suspect it originally had a W.S. 9 fitted and used the 34-ft sectional mast made up of 'D' rods (aka the "golf bag" aerial).

Chris.
For Phantom GHQ Liaison Regt White Scout Cars (Canadian WS9, then finally the WS52, and the R107), from what I can tell, they simply had a metal fitting on the side of the vehicle to which they screwed the insulator from the Golf-Bag when they wanted to set up and aerial using D sections.

Tim
Old 18-10-16, 12:07

Quote:

Chris.
Also... the photo Barry put up is I think from the Airborne Trials and Modifications documentation I found.
Old 20-10-16, 03:42

Quote:

Chris.
Chris, here are a couple of shots of the "aerial base bracket 52-a" on the right rear corner of the truck. I am not a radio guy so this is just a question. Wouldn't that be where the mast goes? The truck is equipped with a 19 set and a 52 set.
Cheers,
Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Drivers Side-1.jpg   Aerial Stowage-2.jpg  
Old 20-10-16, 04:01

Tim I have sent you a PM regards the mount.
Barry
Old 20-10-16, 09:04
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Chris, here are a couple of shots of the "aerial base bracket 52-a" on the right rear corner of the truck. I am not a radio guy so this is just a question. Wouldn't that be where the mast goes? The truck is equipped with a 19 set and a 52 set.
Cheers,
Barry
Very interesting! Yes, that looks very much like an adapted Canadian mast base. (I suspect it may have been done specifically for this vehicle since the WS52 working instructions show the ground spike base and a spreader plate with socket used on a hard top radio truck. This one seems to be the top and insulator of the ground spike version permanently fitted to a plate.)

The two sets would allow the WS19 to be used on the move (because Base No.3 is flexible) with a couple of 'D' rods or an adapter and the usual 'F' rods, and the WS52 when static so that the telescopic mast(s) can be erected and guyed. You certainly couldn't use the mast on the move because the base insulator is too fragile for that.

Chris.
Old 24-11-22, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bell View Post
What's this antenna base for please?

Attachment 85869

Cheers

Tim
Hello, i know it's a very old thread , but is there on of these aerial bases for sale.
I looking for one to use on my Morris C4 wireless project .
Guy