MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 15-06-22, 19:49
Dan Dolan

Default Been trying to reconstruct the No 19 VARIOMETER

I cannot figure out the order of the parts I have off the VARIOMETER for my No. 19 set.......HELP.....please look at the pics and tell me what part goes where....OR CALL ME 505-tew69-205syx and talk me through it. Will pay for your time or trade MV stuff for your assistance.....thanks.
Dan in NM
Attached Thumbnails
20220526_165152.jpg   20220526_165204.jpg  
Old 15-06-22, 22:36
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnm View Post
I cannot figure out the order of the parts I have off the VARIOMETER for my No. 19 set.......HELP.....please look at the pics and tell me what part goes where....OR CALL ME 505-tew69-205syx and talk me through it. Will pay for your time or trade MV stuff for your assistance.....thanks.
Dan in NM
What are you fitting it to? I recognise some of those parts for an M4 Sherman or T26 Pershing fit... there are bits missing though.

The variometer is fitted with Aerial Feeder No.4 for a "through the turret roof mounting", and should have a lock washer with tab under the nut to prevent it unscrewing once fitted to the turret.

Parts:

Rectangular bar with hole and pin (a) - used to offset the variometer locating pin because US tanks had an oversized hole for the aerial insulator. This fits over the aerial feeder tube, the locating peg on the variometer fits into the small hole on the bar and the pin goes into a corresponding hole in the turret roof.

Large square washer (b) goes on next: this covers the oversized hole in the roof. If curved the hollow side goes upwards to provide spring pressure.

Next item is the thick steel centering washer (c) that locates the aerial feeder tube in the oversized hole.

Those are all inside the turret.

(a) Plates, Adapter, Aerial Variometer.
(b) WS 19 Aerial Variometer; Plates, Packing, No.1
(c) Washers, Steel, 2-in. OD, 3/4-in ID, 0.125-in

On the outside you drop Aerial Base No.8 Mounting No.1 (ZA.1825) the peg on the underside fits a hole in the turret roof to prevent rotation, the aerial feeder goes through the central hole, the lock washer goes (hook into the hole in the mounting) over the feeder, followed by the nut to hold everything in place. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE NUT - it's a fine thread and will strip. Finally (when you're sure it's all correct) pry up the tab on the lock washer to prevent the nut moving.

The aerial base is then fitted on top, using 6 x 1/4" BSF screws. The 'pigtail' lead is first fitted to the aerial feeder centre using the screw and nut on the feeder, after which the base can be bolted down.

I think Geoff Truscott posted the installation drawing for this to the group, but I can't remember where. My installation prints (both T26E1 and M4) lacked this drawing.

There are several variants of the aerial base and its mounting, early bases were all No.8 with a concave curve to the rubber cone and a coil spring around the aerial rod socket. Later came Base No.10 with a convex curve to the rubber and screw-up clamp for the aerial rod, and finally the 10 Mk.2 with improved clamp that allowed a top connection for a wire antenna and had a slight concave curve where the rubber was bonded to the mounting flange for better adhesion (compared to the Mk.1 butt joint that tended to peel off).

Mounting No.1 (British) is a rubber disk with steel insert, the Canadian one was slightly conical rubber on steel, and the late/post-WW2 version was a seam-welded pair of steel dishes and separate rubber gaskets to keep water out of the tank.

Hope this is some help.

Chris.
Old 28-06-22, 00:58
Dan Dolan

Default thanks

That is of some help.....I will be installing this No. 19 set in a T17E1 staghound going to the Netherlands..... We installed the turret basket this afternoon and are now getting the turret itself cleaned up and spiffed for craning onto the hull. I know think that some of the parts are between the top of the turret and the variometer with big black knob facing down on right side of the bustle.
Its raining here not so we will not uncover the turret until it stops and we have a clear day - then I can look at the top and bottom of the antenna hole and try and figure out the pieces orientation and order. I get that the cone goes on top and the rectangular bar is an American turret adapter. I may take pictures and send them/post them here for further comment!!!!
Where do the big copper washers go? There are two of them.
I found the big nut and lock washer.... I was going to try and keep the antenna mounts off the roof to prevent damage....may put this on it and leave off the B set aerial that is a thin tube rather than a cone...I think it could be broken in half if this with a stout object. Cone not likely to be damaged.
I know the radio works but likely I will not try it out before shipping. Tubes all light!