MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 28-08-11, 19:45
Terry Warner

Default tow pintle - new source

Attn owners and rebuilders of postwar Canadian trucks (1/4T, 3/4T, 1T, 5/4T, Iltis and maybe 2 1/2T). I have seen camo green Suburbans used by the commander of 1 Cdn Div. Anyone got this one?

One of the least civilian-compatible items on an SMP vehicle is the tow pintle hook. Commercially available trailers have a ball hitch, not a tow eye. Today while clearing the weeks' newspapers and fliers, I see that Princess Auto is listing "15 Ton Pintle Hook" #4200128, regular price $89.99, on sale next week $59.99. Save yourself the shipping and stock up on other useless cr@p that ends up in your shopping cart!

I have no idea if the bolt configuration will match the SMP bumper. However, as I wrote above, this is one part that comes off as soon as a vehicle goes into civilian service/use.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 29-08-11, 17:31

Default Parts suppliers

Has anyone ever delt with this company? I found their catalogue on the web. They have 3 locations in Ontario and 1 in BC.

S & S Truck Parts Inc
New Star parts Component Group
6460 Kestrel Rd
Mississauga, ON
L5T 1Z7
Toll Free 1-800-363-4148
Local Phone 905-564-7100
Local Fax 905-564-3485
www.sandstruck.com
176 Creditstone Rd, Unit 10
Concord, ON
L4k 4H7
Local phone 905-761-1399

302Trooper
Dave Chaloux
M38A1 ENTHUSIAST
Old 29-08-11, 18:08
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302Trooper View Post
Has anyone ever delt with this company? I found their catalogue on the web. They have 3 locations in Ontario and 1 in BC.

S & S Truck Parts Inc
New Star parts Component Group
6460 Kestrel Rd
Mississauga, ON
L5T 1Z7
Toll Free 1-800-363-4148
Local Phone 905-564-7100
Local Fax 905-564-3485
www.sandstruck.com
176 Creditstone Rd, Unit 10
Concord, ON
L4k 4H7
Local phone 905-761-1399

302Trooper
Dave Chaloux
M38A1 ENTHUSIAST

Dave
That is a great site when you get into the Military Parts section..
Pictures of every part..

http://www.sandstruck.com/pdf/milcat2010-sm.pdf
Old 30-08-11, 03:10

Default Some caution needed........

They are basically distributing for the USA parent company.... as far as I know they do not have a Canadian inventory/warehouse full of parts in Concord.

I would check the individual part you are looking to by on the USA web site... and check the price mark up......

Some parts are plainly and proudly marked "Made in the USA".... a lot of others are blank.

Some parts are NOS surplus some are Chinese knock off....such as the tail lights for the M series.... which might work very well for you...just be aware and careful of what you are buying.

On the plus side they are convenient... and have a detailed catalogue.

Bob C.
Canada
Old 30-08-11, 18:48

Yes i called the store/warehouse in BC and they have nothing...I have to call the place in Ontario then they order from the one in the states. I have yet to check prices of the master cyclinders and compare with those of Rockauto that Rob said was a good source and seem to be the best prices yet. there a few places i want to check in california that i will post as well when i find out more.
casey
Old 30-08-11, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey B View Post
Yes i called the store/warehouse in BC and they have nothing...I have to call the place in Ontario then they order from the one in the states. I have yet to check prices of the master cyclinders and compare with those of Rockauto that Rob said was a good source and seem to be the best prices yet. there a few places i want to check in california that i will post as well when i find out more.
casey
Okay here's how this went...after many phone classs many Long distance as the toll free does not work for us here for some unknown reason I find that they are not selling the military parts out of Ontario or Illinios! They are sending people to Willys Acres instead...much of the non NOS was made in Mexico as they had a toll free number for them and IT worked! Go figure Gotta love the Free trade agreement something like the Arrow and the Beaumark! Ha Didn't the Bay used to sell those? So great catalog and all but no parts but feel free to try form another area amybe you'll have luck.
Here are the numbers I tried BC 604-882 2577 he'll tell you got to Omtario at 1-800-621-1553 when that doesn't work try 1-905 567-7100 you'll get a directory press 2 for parts then you'll get a really nice lady who sends you to Tim whos says we don't do that anymore out of Ontario you have to got to the states number. So you try the 18000 number there and it will not work so try the 1-847-584-2000 or simply just go to Willys acres at http://www.willysacres.com/parts.html cause that's where they'll send you LOL! good Luck
Old 30-08-11, 20:59
carrier mech

Between ITAR controls on current mil parts (often extended to obsolete parts as well) and the usual obscene markup of bringing them to Canada, I was pretty sure that their listings would go nowhere for us Canadians.

Had a quick look at the Cdn site you listed and compared the brake prices to Rockauto. For the most part rock auto seems to be 25% to 50% of the Cdn prices. Only thing is you have to know what you are looking for, since rockauto does not list M38A1s. You have to know what interchanges between the military versions and the appropriate CJ. For the M38A1CDN and the M38A1CDN2, the best bet is to use the 55 CJ5 jeep listings. Note that under the 1970 CJ5 the brake parts seem to be suitable for the CDN3, which is usually so hard to source.

Good deal on the military sparkplugs as well. They have the 2243 shielded sparkplugs (old part number was AR5S) for only $6.45 each. Compare that with the $15 many dealers are charging for these. For a set of 4 you are spending $26 instead of $60.

Don't forget the US peso is also very favorable to our Cdn these days, and also that US shipping is significantly cheaper and more reliable than it's Cdn counterparts. That is, as long as you bring the stuff across the border.
Old 14-09-11, 18:07

For anyone interested especially back east I found an place here in BC that sells the Pintle hitch and makes sense since farmers still use them...Otter Co-op...I am thinking many of the Co-ops still carry them as well as the heavy duty bolts and the like.