MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 25-10-15, 15:49

Default Field Pack, canvas, signal, no. 1, MK 1/1

This item shows up in the C42 Set Manual, with Stock Numbers 8465-99-940-0047 and ZA 27294. There is only one photo of it in the manual, an end shot of it sitting on the wireless table beside the C42 set.

I suspect it may be a standard part of the postwar Larkspur wireless series and it looks like it is probably dark olive green canvas rather than khaki. Is it identical in design to the wartime Signals Satchels, or were there design changes? It may even still be in service with other signals equipment today so probably was not surplussed out when the C42 Sets were withdrawn from use.

David
Old 25-10-15, 16:14
carrier mech

http://www.qsl.net/ve3bdb/satchel.html

I recall seeing the WW2 ones until around the early 1990s. After that, if we ordered them in we got the light green canvas variety. I could run the numbers at work to see if they are still a current item, but somehow I think they are past their time.
Old 25-10-15, 16:31

Nice reference article, Rob. Thanks for posting.

David
Old 25-10-15, 16:31

Default Signals Satchels

I too can confirm that the wartime versions hung around for years within DND and there still may be the odd one lurking in the dark corner of a QM somewhere although as Rob states, they are well past their time.

Besides the wartime examples, DND did have similar post-WWII version manufactured in green webbing, although they were never seen in as large numbers.
Old 25-10-15, 17:21
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
This item shows up in the C42 Set Manual, with Stock Numbers 8465-99-940-0047 and ZA 27294. There is only one photo of it in the manual, an end shot of it sitting on the wireless table beside the C42 set.

I suspect it may be a standard part of the postwar Larkspur wireless series and it looks like it is probably dark olive green canvas rather than khaki. Is it identical in design to the wartime Signals Satchels, or were there design changes? It may even still be in service with other signals equipment today so probably was not surplussed out when the C42 Sets were withdrawn from use.

David
"Haversacks, No.1", it's the direct descendent of ZA.6292 Satchel, Signals, which gradually evolved (mainly via name changes to Satchel, Signals, No.1, then with plated fittings and rotproof canvas to the Mk.1/1 (or No.1T) with the stores code changed to ZA27294 (I think). There was parallel production of the khaki and light green versions later on (1944 to match P44 webbing?) and the post-ww2 dark green canvas (58 pattern colour?) with NSN.

Chris.
Old 30-11-15, 18:05

Thanks to the Eagle Eyed internet skills of Geoff Truscott, I am now the proud owner of an NOS C42 Set Field Pack complete with correct NATO Stock Number, 1964 issue. It even has that delightful smell of anti fungal spray that seems to have been used a lot on canvas back then. Reminds me of the boxes of Canadian Bush Jackets that used to be at Westbourne Supply many years back that were grey white in colour because they were coated so heavily in the stuff. Didn't seem to matter how often you washed the jacket, if you stood in the hot Sun for a few minutes, you started to smell like a dry cleaning shop!

Love it!!!

David
Attached Thumbnails
C42 Set Satchel A.jpg   C42 Set Satchel B.jpg  
Old 30-11-15, 19:19

Default Signals Satchel

A nice item, but what you have is a post-WWII British manufactured Signals Satchel, the NSN stamping on the item most likely places production sometime after 1960. These satchels were issued with most radio equipment in order to hold some of the many ancillaries that were issued with the equipment.
Old 30-11-15, 19:45
carrier mech

Ed: But that is exaclty what he wanted when he started the thread.

By he way, I checked the NSN and it is obsolete in the Cdn system.
Old 30-11-15, 19:51

Default Satchel

As long as he got what he wanted, that is the main thing.
Old 30-11-15, 20:12
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

It's listed in the C42 operators manual in the M152 sigs van as described in the OP.

Manual is Issue 1, 6 Nov. 61.

My "field pack" NSN # is only 8465-40-0047. No country of origin marked.
Old 30-11-15, 22:26

Default Hi Ed

Totally what I was looking for, but not after wearing my thinking cap about it for so long I had to open all the doors and windows to clear the smoke!

It never ceases to make my head spin regarding wartime and post war wireless equipment, when it comes to the amazing number of manufacturers involved in the production process and the number of subtle, and not so subtle, variations in how specific things were made. I consider myself quite fortunate that the Mk II and Mk III 19-Sets I have came with their own Spare Valve and Parts Cases. The variations in both makers and styles of these two items alone could probably fill a small warehouse.

With the signals satchel for my C42, my initial thought was to go with any wartime Canadian used Signals Satchel, because large numbers of this equipment from wartime production were in the system and still being issued to fill requirements in the early 1960's. When I finally noticed the description in the C42 Manual, I decided to go with any satchel I could find with the correct NATO, ZA Number or date (or combination thereof) in the hopes it might set it apart a bit from the wartime issued satchels. I was completely sold on the idea when I finally also noticed the front of the C42 and PSU were both stamped with the British WD Broad Arrow, not the Canadian Broad Arrow C.

This satchel was the first to show up NOS with the correct NATO number and date and it does make for an interesting contrast to the Signals Satchel No. C1 ZA/CAN 2120 dated 1944 that came with my NOS Cdn 58 Set. That satchel is a light Khaki Green with Khaki interior and web straps.

Now I just need a Canadian Issue 1944 dated Signals Satchel for my Mk III 19-Set (hopefully not another C1) and either a Canadian or US made satchel dated 1942 or 1943 for my Mk II 19-Set. But first I need a drink. Happy Hour is starting to call me.

Cheers for now,

David