MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 19-08-17, 20:44

Default WS18 battery

Would any of you know if the pictured battery is a commercial model and/or war time produced? This battery was taken out of a untouched WS18 so it made me wonder as its not 100% identical to the ones showed in other threads here at the forum. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3657.jpg   IMG_3656.jpg  
Old 20-08-17, 12:38

hello
For me it's not a WW2 military model of a WS 18 battery, but it's a good item.
Have you photos from your WS18
thanks for all
daniel from france
Old 23-08-17, 20:39

Hello Daniel! thanks for the reply.
I do not have a photo of it, but I do have photo of a strap that was mounted to the set, which Im not able to identify! Do you know its purpose?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3596.JPG  
Old 23-08-17, 23:54
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Ellingstad View Post
Hello Daniel! thanks for the reply.
I do not have a photo of it, but I do have photo of a strap that was mounted to the set, which Im not able to identify! Do you know its purpose?
Battery securing strap. there should be two of these (I think) and they are fitted inside the battery compartment to hold the battery in place.

Chris.
Old 24-08-17, 20:18

Hello Chris!

Out from eye measurement the pictured strap seems to be a little bit to short for that. I will check the length later and post it.
And battery securing straps I fought was coded with ZA 3240?

Best regards
Carl
Old 24-08-17, 21:58
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Hello Chris!

Out from eye measurement the pictured strap seems to be a little bit to short for that. I will check the length later and post it.
And battery securing straps I fought was coded with ZA 3240?

Best regards
Carl
The early WS18 webbing had 'ZN' series stores codes. Later on they renumbered it into the 'ZA' series and reused some of it on the WS22 and WS62, etc.

The early carrying harness used standard infantry webbing cross straps, modified by the addition of a short 1"strap and buckle to attach the strap to the hoop on the set case, and hooks on the strap ends to fasten to the brackets that the waistbelt attached to. The waistbelt was a standard Pattern 08 belt with metal plates rivetted on.

The later carrying harness used the 'L' shaped pack straps with 1" hooks added, and a cut-down waistbelt fastened at the front with a 1" strap that was much more usable. (So much so that if you're too fat to wear the set, you can extend the waist strap with one of the 1" utility straps to make it a comfortable fit.)

The odd (and confusing) thing is that they initially kept the same ZN stores codes for both types of harness - I have the cross strap and the later 'L' strap both marked ZN.2107 (I think).

The WS22 got both types of harness, depending on date, and the WS62 Mk.1 used the later waistbelt and further modified 'L' straps (with a lozenge-shaped wide part and the hoop-attachment part of the strap reduced to 1").
The Mk.II and later WS62 had changes to the set case (replacement of the welded-on frame for waistbelt attachment by some thick wire loops and the belt replaced by a sponge-rubber filled leather cushion as a back pad.

As for the straps originally under discussion, I think I have the original box with the stores label on it: "ZN.2141 Straps, Securing, Battery WS18. Qty.6".

Chris. (Still collecting the webbing that goes with the sets.)

Last edited by Chris Suslowicz; 24-08-17 at 21:59. Reason: numbering error
Old 26-08-17, 09:01

For your strap, as chris, i think it was for securing the battery Inside the box of the radio.
Could you tel us the size of this strap.
Old 26-08-17, 23:30

The length of my strap is 19.25 inches long (48.75.cm) Only measured the webbing. I have only tried to fit this strap around a battery who have swelled up a bit, that might be the reason it didn't fit around.
If this is the correct securing strap for battery it means I need one identical as I only have this one.
Is it common that these strap are with double buckles?

Best regards
Carl
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3661.jpg  
Old 26-08-17, 23:43

There is two buckle versions.
Yours, and mine.

The size is the same.
Old 27-08-17, 21:01
Junior Password Gnome

That looks like a later 'tropicalized' strap, with nickel plated fittings and rot-proofed webbing.

There were several different varieties of fittings used over the years: plain brass (the original), nickel-plated brass (tropic proofed), tin-plated steel (economy), and painted steel. The tin-plated steel are the worst due to tin being lower down the electrochemical series than iron (so that as soon as you get a hole through the plating that exposes the steel electrolysis can take place and the steel rusts at an amazing rate).

Chris.
Old 27-08-17, 21:13
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
The length of my strap is 19.25 inches long (48.75.cm) Only measured the webbing. I have only tried to fit this strap around a battery who have swelled up a bit, that might be the reason it didn't fit around.
If this is the correct securing strap for battery it means I need one identical as I only have this one.
Is it common that these strap are with double buckles?

Best regards
Carl
Maximum battery dimensions are 4.75" x 4.125", for a circumference/perimeter of 17.75".

The double buckles are standard - they're self-locking so the strap can be threaded through them and pulled tight to hold the battery in place.

I've attached the battery specifications - these are for the final version (with NATO stock numbers, etc.) - the battery stayed in service for a considerable time, as it was used to power other equipment (Field telephone amplifier) as well as the WS18, WS46 and WS68, etc.

Chris.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 01000242.pdf (49.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Chris Suslowicz; 27-08-17 at 21:14. Reason: I suddenly remembered the WS46!
Old 27-08-17, 21:51

With the dimensions listed in the document it should not be any problem with fitting it. I have never seen these two buckle straps for sale anywhere! What would be the best place to start searching for the second one?

Best regards
Carl
Old 27-08-17, 23:03
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
With the dimensions listed in the document it should not be any problem with fitting it. I have never seen these two buckle straps for sale anywhere! What would be the best place to start searching for the second one?

Best regards
Carl
Probably in my webbing pile, I may well have a spare one. I'll have a look for it tomorrow (assuming I can reach the pile, and that I don't get called out for work).

Chris.
Old 28-08-17, 09:04

Great Chris! I cross my fingers!
Old 28-08-17, 16:57

If you don't find the same strap as yours, the two you can see on my photos are available. They have brass buckle and are coming from a WS18 MKIII.
Old 17-01-18, 13:02

My son has just listed one of these straps on his website if anyone is still looking for one!

See it here - www.blightymilitaria.com

Thanks,