MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 20-11-04, 12:32
former Resident Historian

Default Thompson-Davey Limited???

Has anyone heard pf a company THOMPSON-DAVEY LIMITED, I think it was spelled...of Scarisbrick, near Southport [actually Ormskirk], on Merseyside but then in Lancashire, England? Post-war they apparently refurbished Jeeps, DUKWs, Diamond Ts, GMC and Chevrolet trucks. Never heard of them myself but a correspondent has written to me and revealed this new information! I query whether the company assembled vehicles during the war?
Old 20-11-04, 13:55

Default Re: Thompson-Davey Limited???

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
Has anyone heard pf a company THOMPSON-DAVEY LIMITED, I think it was spelled...
David,

According to my 1952 copy of Who's Who in the Motor Industry, it is Thompson-Doxey Ltd., listed as car stockists with addresses, 121 Sefton Street and 139 Eastbank Street, Southport. the biographies of the two directors shows Mr. Robert Doxey to have been aprenticed to Vulcan motor works in 1918 and Mr. Reg Thompson as having hobbies inc. sports cars, collecting armour (NOT tanks I would have thought !) and old english oak furniture. Business appears to have started about 1931. Other than that I canot offer any other info at present.

Richard
Old 20-11-04, 16:33

David,

Just after sending the last reply, I picked up my copy of the latest MVT magazine, Windscreen......and lo and behold........there is a feature on said company, with 16 pictures of their activities. It would appear that they bought surplus vehicles and not assembled or refurbished for the governments, as Pearson, LEP, etc. did.

Richard
Old 20-11-04, 17:41
former Resident Historian

Default Cheers...

..Richard! A chap by the name of Phillip Barry wrote to my editor and said he had read the Heritage Commercials magazine articles and that he had worked for the company in 1968-9 in their Scarisbrick depot.

It appears that the company refurbished ex-military vehicles as did people like PRIDE & CLARKE LIMITED...aka 'Slide & Shark'!! P & C were located at 158 Stockwell Road, Brixton, London SE9..they sold Chev and Ford CMPs, Guy, Fordson, Bedford trucks. Pre-war they had been London area distributors for Opels but apart from some car sales I remember them in the 70s as motorcyle dealers.