MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 23-08-08, 20:49

Default Repro C15TA and Otter projects

Hi folks,
One of our 15 Recce club members has family out in western Canada and has found several C-15 cab and chassis that we are getting to refurbish. These will act as the base for a possible C15TA and/or Otter LRC repro project.

Anyone out there with an interest in getting in touch about the project?

I have a heavy metal fabrication shop less than 2 miles from me where I had a long talk with the owner. He has a CNC plasma cutting table able to cut out the large hull panels of any armoured car. Better yet, he has the tools to cut out the conical turret used on the Otter and Humber LRCs and bend them into shape. Game on for a replica!

In addition, one of the key members in the project lives less than an hour away from Alan Coors and his Virginia Museum of Military Vehicles where they have a completely restored TA - Geoff, the one you have seen!

Yes, I know the real Otters used the heavier GMC engine, but for a replica to use for reenacting, we can live with a Chev 235 or a later power plant.
We are considering making up one to sell to help provide funds for the ones we keep. No idea of price yet, of course.

If you have more than a passing interest in joining in on such a project, please get in touch.

Cheers,
Jim Burrill
15th (Scottish) Reconnaissance Regt Living History Association
501 (c) (3) educational charity

1926 Allentown Road
Hatfield PA 19440
215-721-8967

Last edited by Jim Burrill; 23-08-08 at 20:53. Reason: correct stupid typos!
Old 31-08-08, 16:23
Terry Warner

Default Armoured Car repro

It can't hurt! There are plenty of derelict and 'awaiting restoration' trucks out there getting older and older. If your group can get a few more of them rolling, albeit in sheep's clothing, all the better.

I would suggest the Armoured Personnel Carrier would be a better crowd pleaser. The Otter is a cute shape, but how many member of your group or other reenacters will be able to enjoy the ride compared to clambering into the boxy back end of an Armoured Personnel Carrier?

Although purists mourn about cutting up FV432 APCs to make Panzers and Stugs, the presence of these otherwise unobtainable vehicle likenesses has brought a new life to many reenacting groups. I vote yes.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!