MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 23-04-16, 23:23

Default C-15 New Departure Brgs.

I am looking for the numbers and a source for the front axle steering pivot pin in Canada or elsewhere.
Old 23-04-16, 23:39
carrier mech

Dirk Leegwater has them. http://www.lwdparts.com/

If you think his price is high, then you missed the time period where they were being offered for $200 US a bearing if you could find them. They are obsolete and no longer in production.

Some have overcome their rarity and high price by making adapters and using bearings which are still available.
Old 24-04-16, 09:55
MLU Administrator

Hello Nick,

Welcome to MLU and congrats on choosing one of the most difficult parts to source.

Rob directed you to a seller, but if you search MLU you will find more info on these bearings.

Regards
Hanno
Old 24-04-16, 18:57

Default Question are the bearings bad

Hi Nick

Question to not just you but anybody looking to replace the pivot bearing, are you replacing the bearings because they are bad or because they grease in them has dried out or become lumpy? True wear can be felt as loosness, but on all three of my trucks what I found was these pivot bearings didn't turn smoothly and seemed lumpy.

The manual says they can not be repacked, guess what the manual is wrong. But being 38 or so years ago restoring a CMP in the US spare parts and resources like MLU didn't exist. Figured what the hell put the ball units into a bucket of solvent and disowned the grease out of the "sealed" pivot bearings.

You clean the bearings and make a tool to force new grease into the bearings. This simple little tool is made of a length of threaded stock that has been center drilled and tapped to take a grease fitting and side drilled to allow the grease to come out between the nuts. Then with washers of different sizes different small bearing can be re-lubricated.

Name:  FrontEndpivotpinlubtoolw-1.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  5.4 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	8-09 Beauty Wheel Nut Failure 062.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	81372

It may take several repeats of the cleaning and regreasing and turning the bearing to get all the old grass out. Now to the guestion does this aproach work, yes I've gotten many years out this approach.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 24-04-16, 22:27

you can also take them apart and replace the bearing balls and re-pack with grease.Just check the race to see if it is still serviceable.
Old 25-04-16, 03:38

Default Another source.....

...be on the look out for delapidated CMP rolling frames or spare axles...... they are usually the last part to go... heavy combersome no one wants them..... drag them home or offer a few bucks to take them apart on the spot..... at $200 a bearing that makes a front axle worth $800.... you can afford to take a few apart for possible salvageable components. One of my quest was to find a replacement R-Zeppa U-joint for my C15a cab 11....... after 6 or 7 axles I found the parts I so stubbornly needed and lots of other spares to boot including some good bearings..... not to mention a good supply of the hard to find shims for the same bearing adjustment.

Cheers
Canada
Old 29-04-16, 01:46

Default CMP Pivot bearings

Thanks Guys: It turns out that Grant Hopkins in Sannich BC about 100 mi. south of me has bought all of Gary Mooney's CMPs and parts and is able to supply me with new bearings in box along with bridge plate, pass brackets and co-driver hand hold. He is in the middle of moving and sorting and recording an enormous pile so replies may take a while
Grant 1-250-216-5267 or snikpohnarg@hotmail.com