MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 14-03-06, 19:59

Default Fort Garry Horse

I have a list of just under 200 WD's for Crusaders, Stuarts, Vc's, Ic's. V's and III's. Some are DD's others Command tanks (III's ). I have Sqn's for some of them but not all. Is there anywhere where I can find out which Sqn's the remainder belonged?

One other question.
Would all of the Canadian vehicles, Shermans especially, be issued with CT numbers or would some just be T numbers?
Any help or advice appreciated.

Cheers
Kevin
Old 14-03-06, 21:55
Marco Hogenkamp

Hello Kevin,

Hereby a photo for your collection.
This is an ex Fort Garry Horse M4A4 Sherman.
It is on static display in the town of Doetinchem, Holland.

FGH liberated Doetinchem and the relations between the Regiment and the city are still very alive!
This particular Sherman took part in the liberation of Doetinchem on April 1st 1945.
On April 12th 1945, it was hit by a panzerfaust on top of the the turret near the city of Hooghalen, killing the commander (Cpl Mc Donald) and one man wounded.

Very shortly after the war, this Sherman was collected from the Hooghalen area and put on static display in Doetinchem, so it is there for 60 years now.
You can still clearly see were the panzerfaust hit the turret.
The fact that this Sherman was Cpl McDonalds tank has always been known.

10 years ago, we were participating with another Sherman tank in a celebration in Nijverdal, and one of the FGH veterans on our turret was wearing a gold decoration clearly showing the city name "Hooghalen",
So I asked about the details of this decoration and (hardly to believe), this man was the the gunner in Cpl Mc Donalds tank and also the man who got wounded on April 12th.
The gunner, Peter Siemens, was very much surprised when we told him his tank was still on display in Holland.

As far as I know, the number "T-123615" is the original one.

Marco
Attached Thumbnails
fgh-sherman.jpg  
Old 15-03-06, 02:54
Greybeard Member

Default Canadian Census numbers

Hello Kevin

Gord Crossley from the FGH sent me a copy of a vehicle return list from just after the war.

ALL of the census numbers had the 'C' prefix, which suprized me.

Unfortunately, it lists the vehicles without mention of squadron assignent.

Most Canadian tanks in all theatres and a lot of the Canadian vehicles of all types in Italy did not have the 'C' prefix.

Steve
Old 15-03-06, 21:39

Default FGH

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.
I am sure that you have sent me similar info in the past. As you say many of the Shermans did not carry the C prefix.

Cheers
Kevin

Old 17-03-06, 16:51

Default FGH Tank in Doetinchem

Hi All,

The memorial tank pictured in Doetinchem is currently wearing an incorrect Census Number.

The number should be T232615.

When the tank was last re-painted by the local community, in 1995, our museum sent samples of the size and style of lettering to be used. Unfortunately, the painters interpreted the string of sample numbers as the actual number.

This Sherman V was selected from returned stock in October 1945 to be used as a memorial. Marco is correct on the details of the crew and battle damage.

It was cleaned up and painted by the FGH while stationed in Doetinchem and presented to the town on 25 November 1945, shortly before the unit left for Canada.

In August of 1965, members of the FGH (Regular) built a new concrete base for the tank and moved it into a more prominent position in the park, where it still stands. At that time a plaque was added to the side, and a bronze regimental Gate and Scroll (now missing) to the transmission cover.

The 1965 repaint retained the correct census number, but had a mix of wartime and 1960s era insignia.

The 1995 repaint is correct except for the number, though the stars (added for appearance) are unlikely for the 1945 period.

Cheers,

Gord Crossley
FGH Museum and Archives
Old 17-03-06, 17:03
RIP

Gord,

In pursuing my Ram registry, do you have any lists of WD or DND numbers for Rams?
RamTank
Old 17-03-06, 17:40

Default FGH Rams

Hi Clive,

We have a list of the following, turned in to stores in July 45.

Ram Kangaroo (late model, no side doors or mg turret)
CT159614
CT159773 A Sqn ammo
CT159897 A Sqn ammo
CT159898

From the Monthly Vehicle Summary, Sept 1945

RAM carrier
CT159814
CT159873
CT159882

From the pre D-Day period, we do not have any official lists, but there are a number of FGH identified photos in your books and the old Profile Publications.

I can arrange to have a look through the museum albums to see if any other numbers turn up.

Cheers,

Gord

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 06-12-14 at 20:26. Reason: formatting
Old 17-03-06, 17:54
Marco Hogenkamp

Hi Gord,

Thanks for the information on the correct census number.
Actually, our group spent several weekends in April 1995 to do the cleaning/repainting but I can't remember how we got the incorrect census number.

Anyway, at some time in the future, another repaint will be neccessary and I'll take care that your information is passed on so the correct number can be applied then.

From this tank, we removed an original Canadian locker which was still in the turret and sent it to Peter Siemens, together with a photo report on the work done in 1995.

Best regards,

Marco
Old 03-01-07, 12:24
MLU Administrator

Default Re: FGH Tank in Doetinchem

Quote:
Originally posted by gcrossley
This Sherman V was selected from returned stock in October 1945 to be used as a memorial. Marco is correct on the details of the crew and battle damage.

It was cleaned up and painted by the FGH while stationed in Doetinchem and presented to the town on 25 November 1945, shortly before the unit left for Canada.
Here's a picture of T232615 being cleaned up and painted, just three days before it's formal presentation:

"Trooper J.L. Dumouchelle and Corporal W.L. Corn cleaning a Sherman tank of The Fort Garry Horse used as a monument in Fort Garry Park, Doetinchem, Netherlands, 22 November 1945

Credit: Capt. Ken Bell / Canada. Dept. of National Defence / Library and Archives Canada / PA-131691"
Attached Thumbnails
a131691-v6.jpg  
Old 06-12-14, 20:35
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrossley View Post
The memorial tank pictured in Doetinchem is currently wearing an incorrect Census Number. The number should be T232615.
This is how the FGH Sherman stands today. As anyone can see, it is in dire need of a revamp. Planning is underway to repaint it for the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands in April next year.

Gord, could you please send me details on the correct markings? I will pass them on to the local members of Keep Them Rolling who will take the refurbishment in hand.

Thanks in advance,
Hanno

Click image for larger version

Name:	scherman tank 498 - kopie.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	69525 Click image for larger version

Name:	scherman tank 481 - kopie.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	69528

Name:	scherman tank 484 - kopie.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	69526 Click image for larger version

Name:	scherman tank 483 - kopie.jpg
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	69527

Name:	scherman tank 482 - kopie.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	69529
Old 06-12-14, 20:57
Terry Warner

http://www.fortgarryhorse.ca/j1526/i...d=53&Itemid=61

Contact the association. Maybe they have a plan that you don't know. Or (more likely) they weren't aware of its condition. Offer to do the labour if they pay for the supplies. Just a thought.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 06-12-14, 21:11
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
http://www.fortgarryhorse.ca/j1526/i...d=53&Itemid=61

Contact the association. Maybe they have a plan that you don't know. Or (more likely) they weren't aware of its condition. Offer to do the labour if they pay for the supplies. Just a thought.
Terry,

Thanks, I have contacted Gord Crossley, Director of The Fort Garry Horse Museum and Archives.
Old 07-12-14, 18:49

Why do they max elevate the gun on a lot of monument tanks? I suppose it is to make the tank look "proud" or "victorious" but I always thought it had the opposite effect...strictly my own opinion
Old 07-12-14, 20:05

If they depressed the gun, some stupid would slide down the barrel, not be able/willing to return and drop of to the ground injuring themselves and then suing........ Elevated, the same stupid wouldn't be able to get to the end of the barrel and even if they did, they would slide back toward the breech when they tired of showing off to their friends what a hero they were. (But if they should fall it would be a bit further to the ground.)
Old 18-03-15, 15:39
Marco Hogenkamp

Default FGH Sherman markings

The FGH Sherman tank in Doetinchem has been cleaned and repainted last weeks. The last thing to do is to apply the FGH markings.
To do that correctly, there are some questions:

Reading the "Vanguard" , I mean to understand that T232615 was in B-squadron. Am I correct in this?
Is the troop number from Cpl Mc Donalds troop known and if so, should it be shown in the squadron marking on the tank?

Marco
Old 22-03-15, 23:22

Default FGH B Sqn tank in Doetinchem

T232615 was in fact a "B" Squadron tank, part of 3rd Troop, led by Lt. Holmes. It was hit in the top of the turret by a panzerfaust near Hooghalen on 12 April 1945, killing Cpl MacDonald.

By April of 1945, Squadron markings only appear on the back of the tank, as a yellow square, with the centre of the square apparrently painted black. A good example of this can be seen here. http://www.canadaatwar.ca/photo/39/the-netherlands/

As mentioned earlier the turret stars would be very unlikely for this period, but he large circled air recognition star on the turret would likely be present.

There is no photographic evidence showing troop numbers on the tanks in the later part of the war. Many FGH tanks in photos from that period carry few markings beyond the census number, and unit serial flash and 2CAB decal on the rear.

Gord Crossley
The Fort Garry Horse Museum and Archives