MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 29-11-10, 22:34

Default Willys Overland Expedition

A lot of blokes should be paying attention to this!

Currently my wife, Bev, Carl Neilsen and I are driving a 1915 Willys Overland 6,000km around Queensland promoting mens health. As blokes in the bush think they are ten feet tall and made of steel they do not see a doctor until the pain is too much to stand - as a result they are dying at twice the rate of city dwellers of diseases like prostate cancer, diabetes2, high blood pressure and have a horrible suicide record.

Our aim is to use the car to get them to talk to us before broaching the subject of getting a check up including the dreaded finger up the bum!

Not all work as I have discovered dozens of military vehicles resting in remote places. Most interesting is a 1918 ex US Army NASH-QUAD absolutely complete. 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steer!

web site is www.willys.com.au

Have a look - the message holds for EVERYONE, not just Aussies!!!!!!

Lang
Old 30-11-10, 01:31
Mr. HUP

Default Good On You!

Lang, I commend you on spreading the message in such a unique way. As you mentioned, the message holds for EVERYONE. I am probably the most private guy in the world, but I don't miss my appointment with the rigid digit. Not that I like it or anything like that, it is just one more way for me to continue enjoying this hobby of ours.

If you are hesitant about this issue, it could kill you. Yes, the exam is somewhat uncomfortable for most of us, but it is better to suffer that slight indignation than to suffer needlessly. Besides, put yourself in the shoes of the person giving the exam - it is truly better to receive than to give in this case...
Old 30-11-10, 03:22

Here are some photos of the 1918 NASH-QUAD

Lang
Attached Thumbnails
Quad1.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 30-11-10, 03:28

Hi Lang, great photo,s and what a fantastic project. Is it for sale.
Regards
Colin.
Old 30-11-10, 06:01
Rick Cove

Hi Lang and Bev,

Great to see your on your way promoting Mens Health. Well done. I see the article in the new Vintage Truck mag.
I guess Colin has asked the right question about the Nash.
Regards Rick
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 30-11-10, 08:08

Here is a picture of a restored NASH QUAD. Not for sale.

Lang
Attached Images

Old 19-12-10, 06:53

The trip is now finished and went well. www.willys.com.au

We made an effort to track down military stuff along the way - on track only, not wasting time by charging off into the shrubbery.

It is amazing how much is still out there. Lots and lots of WW2 two wheel drive trucks, mostly 3 ton Chevs, Fords and Internationals with a few Dodges - few still running but many easy restorers. Many jeeps, weapon carriers etc but the king of the west was the blitz. Kept a score and at the end of 4 weeks and 6,000km total CMP count in all condition from full running to abandoned cabs was 127. The dry weather makes most vehicles seen very restorable.

Most of these could have been bought for peanuts as there is little interest or use for them now, unfortunately the killer is the cost of getting them two or three thousand kilometres back to civilization. Jeeps are worth the effort (although farmers know they are worth something these days) because you can get them yourself on a trailer and their eventual high restored sale value. Unfortunately a restored truck would not give you your money back, even if you did not count your labour.

Lang