MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 17-06-14, 00:20

Default UC for Monument

I'll give this a try ,I think most of us prefer that vehicles not end up on the lawn, I'm placing this for a friend that is currently the RSM of the Tor Scots, they are looking for a UC to become a monument in front of their armoury in Etobicoke Toronto, anything would be considered ,
Old 17-06-14, 02:32

Default possible lead

Frank.....talk about walking into a mine field! Tough one to get, even the Westminster Regiment wanted to do the same format, but kept running into a brick wall. Only because I just spoke with him on the weekend....drop a PM to Gary Bath Jr. of this forum. It's a long shot ....but what the hell. Good luck Robert PS: He lives in Fort St John out here in B.C.
Old 17-06-14, 02:33

Tor Scots in Belgium and France, ...
Nieuport, Belgium, 9 September 1944. (L-R) Privates L.E. Munn, F.T. Parrish, R.C. Felstead, Corporal R.G. Stewart
Tilly-la-Campagne, France, 8 August 1944. (L-R) Private Syd Walker, Sergeants George McAvany and Grant Salmon, Private Cheet Judge

Image Credit(s) Archives Canada
Attached Thumbnails
Toronto Scottish Regiment (M.G.) in a Universal Carrier near Tilly-la-Campagne, France, 8 August.jpg   Toronto Scottish Regiment in their Universal Carrier waiting to move forward, Nieuport, Belgium,.jpg  

Last edited by Michael R.; 17-06-14 at 02:38.
Old 17-06-14, 03:58
Terry Warner

Default Monument vehicles

A while ago, the RSM of my old unit wanted to see about getting Sherman Tank Bomb running. I told him that was a fantastic idea, did he have $250,000? Because that is what a decent restoration would run. He dropped the idea, but the next best idea was to convince 202 Workshop to do a cosmetic restoration and paint job. That was so well received, every politician and bureaucrat from every level of government wanted to steer the project and the deadlines were too damn close for comfort.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 17-06-14, 13:03
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default Ok

Get one of them here and I'll consider a swap...

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 18-06-14, 23:54

Hi guy's , the reaction is better than expected, I would hate to see such nice T-16's sitting on a lawn doing a rot, will pass on all the info , on the subject of BOMB , you never know how much money it will take until you inspect the vehicle, there are some Sherman's that are mostly complete inside , though they are very few, BOMB may just be one of those considering it's history, what model is BOMB? the nice thing about tanks is most of it is about sandblasting and painting, the big money is engine and track, I would love to see it come to life, we now have 2 running A2's at the museum and I'm looking forward,
Old 19-06-14, 02:28
3RD ECHELON WKSP

I think the best option would be a clapped out hull wreck with some steel plate for armor.
The average Joe downtown wouldn't know the difference and it would give the local kids something to graffiti.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 20-06-14, 02:52

Default Monument

Give Me 40000 and I will turn one of mine into a monument
Jeff
Old 20-06-14, 11:28

Quote:
what model is BOMB
Frank, I seem to remember "BOMB" is an Sherman III/M4A2, but I am sure there are a few threads about it here on MLU. From what I have seen with an M10 restoration, parts for the twin diesels are still available from Detroit Diesel, as long as you are able to salvage the parts used to combine the two to one drive shaft....which I think is unique to the Sherman/M10 (?)

What about all the SECO T16's?....have they all gone, or could there be one left that was just not good enough to get running again.....but good enough for a monument?

Alex

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 20-06-14 at 11:36.
Old 20-06-14, 13:12
Bluebell

This one is slowly on its way back. How bad do you mean?
I know of another in the U.K. that was as bad. There is a range target Loyd over there as well that proves anything is re-buildable.
Attached Thumbnails
10826.jpg  

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 21-06-14, 23:48
Frankencarrier owner

Quote:
I think the best option would be a clapped out hull wreck with some steel plate for armor.
The average Joe downtown wouldn't know the difference and it would give the local kids something to graffiti.
Yep. The donor carrier for the Westie's carrier monument was pitted, dented, etc, and needed some steel plate and carriage bolt ersatz armour, and is turning out quite nicely. Pics to follow very soon.
Old 22-06-14, 02:30
carrier mech

Here are some photos (before and after a recent paint job) of a carrier I donated to the Sask Dragoons armoury about 20 years ago. It was just a lower hull, and I had a spare front armour to add to it. The side and rear armour, along with the engine covers, are all fabricated from 1/4 plate, and carriage bolted onto the hull. All in all it looked pretty good, and the 99.8% of people who don't collect military vehicles don't know anything is wrong.

I think you will be lucky to find a complete hull these days to use for such a project. They are just too valuable, and too many people have the internet so they have some idea what they are worth.
Attached Images