MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 03-08-04, 20:51
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Default Ford/Marmon-Herrington Fire truck Surinam

Well, is this a purpose-built and delivered fire-truck of WW2 vintage or a post-war conversion om WW2 Surinam diverted Ford/MH 4x4 truck? From the beeldbank (type Suriname brandweer) and see more pics of this vehicle.

Enjoy,

Nuyt

Overvalwagens!
Attached Images

Last edited by nuyt; 12-08-04 at 21:56.
Old 03-08-04, 23:32
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Default WW2 firetrucks

Apparantly there was also a 6x6 version. After checking Vanderveen's WW2 vehicles book I come to the conclusion that these trucks were purpose-built WW2 vintage trucks.
Hanno? BIll?

Nuyt

Overvalwagens!
Attached Images

Last edited by nuyt; 12-08-04 at 21:56.
Old 04-08-04, 00:16
Dog Robber

Well, pic #1 is at least 1942 on up so could be a post 1945 local conversion. I forget for the moment if Surinam got vehicles after the fall of the Dutch East Indies but it is likely anyway.

The second pic is hard to figure out except the front wings as much as we can see look to be pretty much the same form as pic #1 so could come from the same generation.

As a passing thought, I bet some current vehicle restorers would love to get the tyres of the truck in Pic #2.
Bill
Old 04-08-04, 10:08
MLU Administrator

Default Re: WW2 firetrucks

Quote:
Originally posted by ericnuyt
Apparantly there was also a 6x6 version. After checking Vanderveen's WW2 vehicles book I come to the conclusion that these trucks were purpose-built WW2 vintage trucks.
This is most likely one of fifteen 6x6 3-ton Crash Tenders originally ordered by the KNIL for use in the NEI (see quote below from my web site). As with other vehicle shipments, not all of them arrived and some probably were diverted to Surinam. The 4x4 version could be one delivered along with the 6x6's to compensate for losses and/or changed requirements.

Quote:
The Royal Netherlands East Indies Army indicated a need for 15 Fire-fighting trucks for fighting crash fires on landing fields. Therefore the Netherlands Purchasing Commission in New York placed orders with Marmon-Herrington for "Fire-Fighting trucks, as delivered to Canadian and United States air forces, if possible with either Walter Kiddie or American La France firefighting equipment". Equipment consisted of a water tank and pump, foam developing equipment (mechanical and chemical) and with carbon dioxide cylinders.
As of August 1941 five of the fifteen needed were on hand, with 10 still on order. Five trucks were expected in September/ October, the delivery date of other five was uncertain. An order for five Fire-fighting trucks was approved on September 4, 1941.
Bart Vanderveen notes the trucks were based on 1941 model Ford chassis.

Source: Marmon-Herrington military vehicles > Trucks > Netherlands East Indies > Truck, 3-ton, 6x6, Crash Tender (Ford/Marmon-Herrington MM5-6)
Old 04-08-04, 10:11
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Murray
As a passing thought, I bet some current vehicle restorers would love to get the tyres of the truck in Pic #2.
See Ford/Marmon-Herrington 6x6 conversions for a pic of another 6x6 3-ton Crash Tender which recently came to light in Canada.
Old 01-09-04, 10:57
Hans

Default Ford/MH 6x6 firetruck

Inventory list concerning available vehicles 1944, mentioned 1 Crashtender in Suriname. Indeed it has to be one of the ordered KNIL MM5-6 vehicles.