MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 20-03-18, 07:03

Default Korean War Sherman colour

Hi All,
I am building a LdeSH E8 in Korea using the new Tamiya kit, which is pretty great BTW, and assumed that I would be painting it lustreless OD as per the kit instructions. However, looking at the colour photos in Don Dingwall's "Canadian Vehicles in Korea" the tanks look to be painted standard WWII olive drab, as do all the other vehicles in the book.
Any help or advice appreciated.

BTW "Canadian Vehicles in Korea" is a superb resource and Don should be congratulated on an excellent job. I have never seen a beyter collection of photos, most of which I had never seen before.
I especially appreciated that the colour photos are placed relevantly rather than gathered in the middle.
Thanks

Gord
Old 20-03-18, 08:51
MLU Administrator

Gord,

See my webpage: http://www.mapleleafup.nl/g104/cdn.htm

Since the Lord Strathcona's Horse Regiment which served in Korea used M4A3(76)W HVSS Shermans supplied by the USA, you should paint your model in US Olive Drab.

HTH,
Hanno
Old 20-03-18, 17:53

Default So that would be WW2 OD?

Hi Hanno and Thanks,

Just to confirm that you mean the paint would be WW2 OD rather than the later lustreless OD that Tamiya suggests. The colour photos in Don Dingwall's book clearly show that the jeeps, the 25pdrs and others wore a semi gloss deep green version of OD.
M4a3E8 "Bronco" of the LdSH is shown in colour with it's turret removed and the colour looks to be a match for any WW2 sherman.
I have seen US vehicles in the lustreless paint which is a lot browner than the WW2 OD. This is the colour suggested in the kit and thus my confusion.

Speaking of 25 pdrs, there are two colour photos in "Canadian Vehicles in Korea" that show the muzzle brakes painted a very worn and faded red.

Thanks for the link to your page I will be looking for the book.
Cheers
Gord
Old 22-03-18, 06:40

I always thought that the US Sherman's in Korea had come from garrison in Japan and some having been rebuilt there were painted in similar fashion as the new M46 tanks with the semi gloss OD finish, while others retained the WW2 olive drab, and the USMC were different still.
Old 22-03-18, 11:15
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonAParker View Post
Just to confirm that you mean the paint would be WW2 OD rather than the later lustreless OD that Tamiya suggests. The colour photos in Don Dingwall's book clearly show that the jeeps, the 25pdrs and others wore a semi gloss deep green version of OD.
M4a3E8 "Bronco" of the LdSH is shown in colour with it's turret removed and the colour looks to be a match for any WW2 sherman.
I have seen US vehicles in the lustreless paint which is a lot browner than the WW2 OD. This is the colour suggested in the kit and thus my confusion.
Without the intent of opening a "can of painted worms", the remark I made was to ensure that anyone is aware that the Sherman M4A3(76)W HVSS tanks were supplied to the Canadian Army in-theatre in Korea by the US, were in US colours and not in Canadian colours of the day.

As far as I know, these Shermans came from surplus WW2 stocks, and were thus painted in US Olive Drab. Seeing how many of these were preserved and/or reconditioned before redeployment, there is a chance these were repainted in the US colour of the day - I am no expert on that subject, so that would need consultation with other sources.

On http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/co...r-easy-8-tank/ I found this colour picture, which may confirm your findings from Don Dingwall's book?

Click image for larger version

Name:	a-squadron-korea-rcac.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	98745

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcm View Post
I always thought that the US Sherman's in Korea had come from garrison in Japan and some having been rebuilt there were painted in similar fashion as the new M46 tanks with the semi gloss OD finish, while others retained the WW2 olive drab, and the USMC were different still.
The Shermans supplied to the Canadian Army were not those rebuilt by the Tokyo Ordnance Depot as those were fitted with spare road wheels, sprockets and track links - see the picture from Hunnicutt's Sherman tank book. TOD rebuilt tanks were issued early in the Korean War to the 8072nd - later redesignated 89th - Tk Bn. They were "mainly late production M4A3s with the horizontal volute spring suspension and the 76mm gun" (source: Hunnicutt, Sherman, p. 496-502).

For more information about Shermans rebuilt at the Tokyo depot, read http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_m...m4a3_76w2.html

HTH,
Hanno

Click image for larger version

Name:	70227277-1D76-4126-B0A0-3363CD653C1A.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	644.1 KB
ID:	98746
Old 23-03-18, 21:47

Default Colours

Hi Hanno and John,

Yes that and the photo of Bronco led me to believe that the conventional wisdom was less wise for a Canadian Sherman.
The same photo is in Don's book and from the rear and sides the paint looks to be OD but the Shermans facing the camera I thought could be in the lustreless. But of course light. reflectiveness, old colour film (looks like kodachrome) and dirt play such a big factor too.

I will stick to the WW2 OD for my kit and I really appreciate all the help from the forum.

Cheers

Gordon Parker
Old 23-03-18, 22:25

Thanks for the update on the Japan depot rebuild tanks Hanno. I will have to look up my Hunnicutt. I was under the impression the tanks which received the updates shown in Hunnicutt were tanks already in Japan and less than 60 were rebuilt to as new condition with spare wheels, sprockets etc., and the majority of tanks in Japan prior to and at the beginning of the Korean War only received rebuilt differentials, tracks and needed maintenance as they were initially deemed unfit for service until that maintenance was performed. Is it not possible that several of the lesser rebuild tanks were also re - painted in the color of the day. I believe in Don's book there are pictures which also show the Canadians re-painting or having re- painted tanks for various parade ceremonies. The pictures sure seem to indicate these tanks were painted in a much darker, shinier green...Thoughts?

Also makes sense the US would hang on to the fully rebuilt JOD tanks and lend/ lease/rent the older tanks to Canada