MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 25-11-09, 16:06

Default Another view of Clanky

Perhaps this is old news, but I just noticed the similarities. Another view of Clanky (mount of SAR C Sqn CO, Major Dave Currie) can be found on IWM B-8774. In fact the Canadian color photo of Clanky and the IWM photo were taken very close to the same time. I have circled some things that link both photos.
Purple - rock or rubble on ground.
Green - shadow on front of driver's hood.
Blue - camouflage net tied to side of turret.
Red - tarp overhanging the side of the hull.
Yellow - decorative brick on the house in the background.
Orange - the best evidence, the roof of the house next to Clanky. 96 Boulevard Leroy now has a stucco over the noticeable stone and brickwork, but the roof is the exact same. And using the Google Maps Streetview a comparison of this roof is in the second photo.

Even the men standing on top of the turret in the IWM photo look very similar to the men in the color photo. The man on the right with black beret and sunglasses looks like Cpl John Lardner on the color photo (he's holding sunglasses in his left hand). And the man standing on the right looks like Tpr Richard Mitchell, the man leaning on the gun barrel in the color photo. (Names provided by Donald Grave's book, South Albertas page 179).

Google Maps Streetview is a very powerful tool to identifying war time photos. I have spent countless hours roaming the streets of Caen via computer.

Using the photo descriptions from the Archives Normandie website; B-8773 B-8775 and B-8776 should show the same line of Churchill AVREs and perhaps other views of the South Alberta tanks, but unfortunately are not yet available on the IWM website.

Tony Viste
Attached Thumbnails
0777.jpg   0888.jpg