MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 07-07-07, 05:45
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Bearyy scarey

YIKES ... I think this grizzley bear attack was too close to home for comfort ... eek ... I'm scared of bears, especially big old grisslies, but they are gorgeous amazing creatures. I don't really know how far from Cranbrook this area is but grizzlies do roam a lot of BC mountains. Tembec has a building here so I don't know if these guys are from here or elsewhere ...

can you imagine coming face to face with one of these big hairy bears?

Quote:
Friday, July 6, 2007

NEWS - Grizzly Attack Wednesday
People are being urged to stay away from the White River area, east of Canal Flats, after two people were attacked by a grizzly bear Wednesday afternoon.

Acting Senior Conservation Officer Arnold DeBoon says two Tembec workers were mauled; one of them was bit in the arm and leg then kicked it in the face to get it away.

The bear then turned on the second worker who was able to give it a good blast in the face with bear-spray causing the bear to run away.

Both people are recovering from their injuries.

DeBoon says Conservation Officer Services are responding with a 'Predator Attack' team and will be in the area as long as it takes to find the bear.
Old 07-07-07, 12:06
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Looks like about 75km from your LOC, VD2, straight north. At least it's unlikely it'll be wandering about the streets of any good-sized town.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...te=BC&zipcode=
Old 08-07-07, 19:41
Vets Dottir 2nd

It's rare to hear about grizzlies venturing into towns or where people live. Black/brown bears always venture in though. I remember watching from my back porch stairs, a MASSIVE brown bear laying down and lazily muching our garbage under a tree in our back yard, staring at me, but looking totally calm and busy lazily eating ... about 20 or 25 feet away from me. I shone a flashlight on him and watched him for a long time. That was in Nelson. I thought he was a grizzlie because of his size and width of him and his face, and with the red fur but was told it was probably a brown/black bear (His eyes glowed red when the light hit them ) This was just when the bears would have been tucking in to hibernating for the winter and am sure this old bear was about as full and fat as he could get before curling up for the winter. I'm still amazed at it's size HUGE!

Karmen
Old 08-07-07, 19:53
Vets Dottir 2nd

I found a photo online with a guy next to a brown bear thats about the size of the one that was in my back yard that night. The head looks a lot like the bear I saw My bear was laying facing me so I didn't get a good body length view to guess how long/tall it was.

My bear looked absolutely totally fat, content, and healthy and not a bit nervous about me
Attached Images