MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 25-10-12, 02:51
carrier mech

Default GMC Deuce and a half (M135) Muffler

Does anyone have a M135 muffler (NOS) kicking around that they want to sell? I have located most of the other exhaust parts, but the muffler is a definite need for my latest project.

Last edited by rob love; 02-11-12 at 15:03.
Old 25-10-12, 04:21

I'll have a look around out here at the west coast Rob!
There are a few fellas here that have duces..?
What is this one now Rob Did I see it while there?
Hope you are well...Casey
Old 25-10-12, 05:39
carrier mech

I towed it home last Friday, you would have seen it at that surplus yard we were at, but it was amongst the 8 or 10 that were there. It is a nice clean truck that has not been touched since about 1986. Has some issues with stuck valves, and the fuel in the tank is pretty ripe, but she is in her original semi gloss paint. Her birthday was November of 56, so it was near the end of production of her kind.

Photos will follow soon enough.
Old 25-10-12, 06:54

Default Muffler...

Rob: Did you give Ralph Journeay a call at Niagara Military Parts. Just bought some M parts off him last week. He's quite a bit o stock. 1 905 732-4122......Robert
Old 25-10-12, 12:22

A possible source - the one time I bought from them all was good, but there is some (other) forum comment that is less favourable.
http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySe...tml#M35Exhaust
And a ebay vendor that seems to specialize in M135/211 parts
http://stores.ebay.com/Mid-Ohio-Valley-Surplus?_rdc=1
Old 25-10-12, 14:36

Default Are you looking for authentic or serviceable?

Hi Rob

My question is are you looking for authentic NOS or are you looking for something that looks the same and will work?

Reason for asking is that most of the guys down here that have CCKWs and Chevy military trucks have gone over to standard off the shelf mufflers for a couple of reasons the authentic mufflers (particularly for WWII) are restrictive and seem to have more problems with manifold gasket failure because of back pressure. Also the modern mufflers often come with lifetime warranties and being aluminum-ized thus they don't seem to rust out.

So now to the next question does anybody in our little group have an original M135 muffler who would measure it? Inlet, outlet size, length, diameter, and configuration of the inlet and outlets then we can try and look up a commercial equivalent.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 25-10-12, 15:27

Default Have you been searching for this for awhile?

Hi Rob

After responding to your question, I started to search the internet to see if I could find a substitute or commercial part number. I discovered various post on other Military Vehicle forums asking the same question. Forums like G503, Steel Soldiers are they all you or is this a really hard part to find.

Now you got me curious, think down the road and crawl under a friends M135 and M211.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 25-10-12, 15:32
carrier mech

Phil
I have seen those posts as well, and that is what has made me realize the original mufflers are getting herd to find. The design of the M135 exhaust system is such that any rainfall will accumulate in the muffler, and after almost 30 years of sitting, my muffler has succumbed to the elements.

The M135 mufflers are somewhat unique in their design, with a entry from a side flange. Before I start measuring up aftermarket mufflers I would far prefer finding an original.
Old 25-10-12, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
The design of the M135 exhaust system is such that any rainfall will accumulate in the muffler, and after almost 30 years of sitting, my muffler has succumbed to the elements.
My "quick and dirty" solution was to keep a tin can over the pipe (although I had the curved top end on the pipe) to keep out rain. Every so often I had to look for a new tin when I started the truck, blew the tin off and drove over it before I rememberd to pick it up.
Many years ago, I exchanged some mufflers and exhaust parts to Brian Asbury - I have no idea if he still has them or other exhaust parts for the M-135 series.
Old 25-10-12, 21:50
carrier mech

As a young craftsmen (LORE private) we used to enjoy tossing the odd golf ball down the exhaust stacks of deuces before a road test. It would either rattle around, making the driver worry he had something wrong, or if he didn't look for it, it was fun to see how far it would shoot out once the truck accelerated.

Ahhh, those were the days.

I'll shoot Brian a PM and see if he has any left.
Old 25-10-12, 22:08

Default Went and look at M135 now see the issue

Hi Rob

Went and looked at an M211 and M135 to better understand the muffler. The M135 muffler was completely rusted away so understand that end of the problem, M211 which is on a ex-fire tanker is in good condition and now I understand why it probably not a stop at the local NAPA and get a new one. Strangely the M211 was parked next to a `90s International dump truck which had a very similar layout though being a diesel pipes were a lot larger.

For the fun of it I'll post a wanted NOS M135 muffler in our local club newsletter see if it turns up anything. The guy with the M211 is looking for some other parts.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 26-10-12, 04:29

Default muffler trouble

Rob
I Hade the same muffler problem . My soulution was a large diesel tractor muffler , same oval shape , I welded the original flanges on the new muffler in the exact positions as original , this muffler has very little backpressure, and sounds very tuff . I could get more info..note I had to block off the old exit on the new muffler.
ANTHONY
1944 C15A , needs box and restore

Last edited by ahleeds; 26-10-12 at 06:01.
Old 02-11-12, 08:15

There are several active threads on Steel Soldiers about this very item. NOS mufflers, and un-cracked exhaust manifolds seem to be made out of Unobtainium.

Several guys are trying to replicate, or at least find a suitable replacement.

Unless you are building a museum truck, just get something that looks almost right, and save your hearing. Those old stovebolts can be a little loud.
Old 02-11-12, 15:02
carrier mech

I did a google search and found a dealer that had one left in stock. It is on it's way to me now. Wasn't cheap when we talk surplus. But then again, if I went in to the dealer for a muffler for my current vehicles, I would likely pay about the same.

We had the problem with the cracked manifolds back in the early 80s. The DND cast hundreds of them, but made a slight error in the casting, resulting in the majority of them going to scrap. The local surplus dealer had two bathtubs full of them.

With the price of gasoline these days, and the poor fuel economy of these trucks, I don't think anyone will be making up new parts for them any time soon. I guess it's best to grab the parts while I can.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Closed Thread