MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 24-02-19, 14:27

Default Kawasaki KLR 250 CFR 95-10919

So, all part of quite an eventful few weeks recently.

I, and two others were alerted to this machine by my long time friend Eric Booth, who now retired has all the time to troll the internet, just razzing you mate.

I made contact with the seller as soon as I heard about it and through a phone conversation, something just clicked, I think it was the fact it was going to be saved as a military vehicle that got me cooperation.

Anyway, yesterday saw me zip eastwards down the 401 to the sunny metropolis of Moose Creek just north of Cornwall.

The bike was much more shabby looking and declared not running. Thankfully the family member who had bought it while not wanting the panniers on it saved them. While I tried to haggle I ended up paying what he wanted just because I know how hard it is to find these especially with the panniers.

It is missing a bunch of small items like front black out light and the switch for that but all in all, despite looking rough it will benefit from some extra spares in stock from the other KLR purchase over a year ago.

I am reliably informed that the bike VIN and CFR ring true and my gut feeling has paid off. The ECC is 120105 and was sold off in Borden ON in March 2003 although why there I am confused as the last user unit was 5 Combat Engineer Regiment in Valcartier

Now while many will say owning two machines of the same type is excessive I firstly would not agree, ever, and secondly I would say that long term I wont be keeping this one, as I posted in the CL70 thread it is going elsewhere.

My friend Nick Tilgner was forced to sell his military motorcycle a while back as his wife was caught up in the Phoenix pay scandal and it really cut him up bad that he had to dispose of it but he did the right thing for his family at the time.

Nick and I and others on here work together at the Cold War Collection, Nick is the crew chief and myself a volunteer. Nick is also a VW guy and he will be rebuilding the engine for my Canadair CL70 and this bike will go to him as part payment for doing that with first refusal back to me in the event of a sale happening.

So from one friend alerting me and another digging up history and another receiving it as a trade it is going to keep this machine alive and within the circle of friends. This is all abut what I enjoy about this hobby.

I will get it registered properly as there are some kinks in the past of this machine but it is all good. I expect I will deliver it with a month or so to Nick.

Thanks to all my friends who have helped.
Attached Thumbnails
KLR 10919 side fwd.jpg   KLR 10919 side rear.jpg   KLR tank flag cfr 10919.jpg   KLR 10919 tank CFR.jpg   KLR VIN decal 10919.jpg  

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 24-02-19, 14:45
Terry Warner

Default Dispatch rider bikes

Good on you Robin! Two bikes will allow a certain amount of comparison and contrast. As we know, the CF doesn't like unauthorized modifications to in-service equipment. What looks original on one but not the other, is probably a good guide.

For those who don't know Phoenix was supposed to be the Canadian federal government's solution to a dispersed pay and benefits administration system organized per department. Put everything in one place and eliminate widespread duplication. My wife worked in the old system and family friends retired when their jobs moved to an economically depressed region (sound like a govt project yet?). One of them was owed $125,000 which she got only after I badgered the MP and gave the story to the national press. I had a university coop student reporting to me when Phoenix was implemented. For most of his placement he never got paid. Every avenue to get money to this guy failed. When three pays were missed, I turned him 90-deg and said his job now was to navigate the contact mechanisms and get himself money. At one point we ran a food drive so he could eat, and I found a benevolent fund that gave him no-interest no-set-repayment money. It is a bloody disaster when a government can't pay its employees!

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 04-03-19, 15:25

Default Glad to help out

Glad to have helped out.

Eric