MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 27-09-14, 04:49

Default 19 set shock mounts .....

Hoping there is sufficent interest to create a separate thread.... that will be easier to search for in the future.

I have a 19 set that is on need of the four corner canvass / rubber shock mounts.

My set up as the typical wooden board with the metal tray and the canvass hold down straps..... no corner shock mounts.

From what I has een on other sets it looks like a heavy canvass.....almost like a fabric fire fighter hose thathas been flattened and dip in some preservative.

As Rob pointed out they are hard, dried up and offer hardly any shock absorbing capacity.

I last saw a full set of four on Ebay for $100.00 US ...... great for autothenticity but not for the well beign of the radio.

What have others used to replace, reproduce, rejuvinate, substitute .....for the corner mounts....?

Any ideas how they were made originally... canvas obviously but dipped in what???

Would a section of military web belt be adequate cut and folded 90 degrees...but not very resilient to shocks...

A section of fire fighter canvass hose..?

How about a section of flat rubberized agrcultural belting used on the old trashing machines....some are canvass impregnated with rubber...... or a oiec fo rubber conveyor belting.....

Ideas...suggestions..

Cheers
Canada
Old 27-09-14, 08:12

I'm not sure about canvas? I thought they were bonded metal/rubber. I'm sure I've seen them un-painted to expose the black rubber. These are the ones on my WS11 set.

Metalastic exhaust mounts from something like the early Mini cars will do an excellent job.....But don't look right of course. Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Morris PU 84 091.jpg   Morris PU 84 093.jpg  
Old 27-09-14, 12:06
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default feet

Hi Ron

Those look like my shock mounts ! But you only have 2 !

In the early 1980's I used to browse at HAM RADIO SUPPLIES in Highett st Richmond . It was in an old wooden building, just about ready to fall down, the roof leaked . Imagine my pleasure one day, after I found a box full of those shock mounts , must have been 50 of them .

In another box I found about 40 of the rubber B set antenna mounts for the 19 set . These i bought for 5 bucks , the whole box .

The old chap on the counter liked me for some reason and he would sometimes give me the key to the upstairs storage room . In the storage room were boxes full of 11 , 19 and 22 set valves ... all new in their wartime packaging . The valves were 50 cents each .

Kicking around on the floor were 19 set spares boxes , these would be a dollar each . In the side room there was a huge pile of 62 set leads and accessories in a huge tangled mess on the floor .

The store was one of those long forgotten Melbourne treasures Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 27-09-14 at 12:12.
Old 27-09-14, 14:13
GM Fox I

Default Pads

19 set carriers (and similar sets like the No.22) used pads between the set cases and angles on the rails. These pads were originally rubber(pic 1) and latter canvas (Pic 2). The were to snug the sets in the base rather than for shock protection.
Attached Thumbnails
Pads  rubber.jpg   Pads  canvas.jpg  
Old 27-09-14, 14:21
GM Fox I

Default Shock Mounts

These are troublesome as they are almost always broken due to deteriorating rubber. Even NOS ones fail if you put a set on them. To fix them (or reproduce them) what I have done in the past is bolt the two bottom angled pieces to a metal plate at the correct horizontal spacing. Then I put a threaded metal rod in the centre with a bolt at the right height to position the central U shaped piece. This rig holds the three pieces in their correct spacing without the rubber. I then welded the pieces together (with a little filler and careful to have the weld within the joints) then filled the spaces with black silicone. Dry, cut the sides and you're ready to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Mount broken.jpg   Mount 1.jpg   Mount 2.jpg  
Old 27-09-14, 14:34
carrier mech

Similar mounts are made commercially and available online. A quick google search led to this: http://www.vibrationmounts.com/RFQ/VM110225.htm
Attached Images

Old 27-09-14, 15:10
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Similar mounts are made commercially and available online. A quick google search led to this: http://www.vibrationmounts.com/RFQ/VM110225.htm
Interesting. The second one in their size chart (V11Z49MKE030) would probably do. The hole spacing on the bottom is 85mm instead of 95mm on the WW2 ones so some adjustment on the mounting holes on your vehicle would be required, and they are 30mm wide (instead of 22mm) which you could live with or shave down. The height is right on.
Old 27-09-14, 15:39
carrier mech

That was the one I was figuring on as well. You might be able to elongate the holes by 5cm each and obtain the required spacing.

There are other manufacturers of similar mounts in inches rather than mm. Perhaps some of them come even closer.

These mounts aren't cheap mind you. They run around $15 or so each. But the fresh rubber with modern bonding might be worth it.
Old 27-09-14, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
Hi Ron

Those look like my shock mounts ! But you only have 2 !

Mike
Mike I have a complete set of the correct mounts for my 11 set in the Morris. But my Jeep 19 set has those Mini car mounts. I don't suppose you have any of those correct type left do you? Ron
Old 27-09-14, 21:44

Default Mounts.

Could some one put up a dimensional drawing of an original off the 11 set radio tray or no 21 or 22 19 set carrier.

They look easy to make, I think if you had the Steel grit blasted, de-greased and stuck on some cut rubber with car windscreen black bonding compound and left in a hydraulic press to cure they would stick.

The trouble with buying the ones suggested, you still have to cut both sides to get the 22mm diameter, then elongate the hole after paying $15.

I think I can make some for the price of some compound which I need to buy anyway to stick my bump stops on the Centaur tank suspension.

Stick like s**t to a blanket I'm told.

Kevin.
1941 Standard Mk1 stowage Carrier, light stone.
10 cwt wartime mortar trailer.
1943 Mk2 Daimler Dingo.
1943 Willys MB.
1936 Vickers MG carrier No1 Mk1 CMM 985.
Old 28-09-14, 17:09
GM Fox I

As requested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin powles View Post
Could some one put up a dimensional drawing of an original off the 11 set radio tray or no 21 or 22 19 set carrier.

They look easy to make, I think if you had the Steel grit blasted, de-greased and stuck on some cut rubber with car windscreen black bonding compound and left in a hydraulic press to cure they would stick.

The trouble with buying the ones suggested, you still have to cut both sides to get the 22mm diameter, then elongate the hole after paying $15.

I think I can make some for the price of some compound which I need to buy anyway to stick my bump stops on the Centaur tank suspension.

Stick like s**t to a blanket I'm told.

Kevin.
Attached Thumbnails
scan0001.jpg  
Old 28-09-14, 18:03

Thanks Bruce, will have a go at making some after I have finished the 11 set tray.

Do you think these are the same for all three radio holders, 11 set 21 & 22 carriers ?.

Many thanks Kevin.
1943 Mk2 Daimler Dingo.
1943 Willys MB.
Old 29-09-14, 01:51
Bluebell

Made in Australia. Close! May be a rubber company is still doing the exact thing?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf double-shear.pdf (227.4 KB, 63 views)

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....

Last edited by Lynn Eades; 29-09-14 at 02:01.
Old 29-09-14, 02:52
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pier View Post
Mike I have a complete set of the correct mounts for my 11 set in the Morris. But my Jeep 19 set has those Mini car mounts. I don't suppose you have any of those correct type left do you? Ron
I have a few feet left Ron , but I need them myself

All of the rubber B set mounts have gone..I gave many of them away
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 29-09-14, 03:25

I don't think this thread has been hijacked, however I am also not certain it has headed in the direction Bob had originally hoped for it.

If I read Bob's initial post correctly, he owns a Carrier No. 23 for his Wireless Set. This carrier was never equipped with the composite rubber/metal shock mounts that fastened the carriers No. 21 and 22 to a vehicle. It did, however, come with pads (as per Bruce Parker's Post of pix 1 and 2) designed to fit over the four angle iron rails the PSU and transceiver rested on, when strapped to the carrier.

I am curious, Bruce, if the rubber pads in your first picture are plain flat hard rubber: either one large angled piece of rubber, or four separate strips? The ones on my Carrier No. 23 are of a molded foam rubber design, right angled in shape. The surface of them that is in contact with the wireless equipment is smooth. The surface that rests on the rails (the undersides) have angular recesses cast into them to fit the rails, and within these recesses are six round depressions intended to fit over the screw heads used to mount the rails to the carrier chassis. If these are different than your rubber ones, Bruce, then there are at least three variations of these pads out there.

Regards,

David
Old 29-09-14, 03:38

Dave Page, a chap from NZ living in the USA down in Alexandria VA, made up some repros about two years back for his Dingo restoration. I got a set from him to mount in my Humber Mk4.

Thanks to Dave's efforts, we now have a DIngo and an Armoured car in the club that can actually talk to each other with the 19 set.

Theoretically at the moment as we both need to get our amateur radio licenses.

I can check with Dave to see if he had any left for sale or if he had enough interest, he might run up another batch.

I think the price was about $70 USD for a set of 4.

Jim
Old 29-09-14, 04:48
David Pope

These are NOS ones for a 19 set. They look to be the same as the 11 set used. I think 4 of them will go in my 11 set box of stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
100_8352.jpg  
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 29-09-14, 06:54

I got the feeling that Bob was talking about something different when I saw Bruce's post. However both types of shock protection are interesting and I'm learning all the time. Good to see that lynn has found someone who actually makes the bonded rubber mounts in strip form. I haven't checked the width of an original yet, but I guess 1 length of 150mm could make a set with spares?

Ron
Old 29-09-14, 09:01
Bluebell

Ron, it looks like they are made in different widths. if i am reading it correctly they are made an inch wide, and un drilled, so they could be trimmed on the inside and look pretty bang on. The Mackay company has been making engine mounts and rad hoses in Australia for many years. Who knows, maybe they were the original manufacturers for Australian radio set mounts? (if they were made here)

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 29-09-14, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Made in Australia. Close! May be a rubber company is still doing the exact thing?
Wow - are these the same dimensions?

Cheers

Tim
Old 29-09-14, 22:42
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
These are NOS ones for a 19 set. They look to be the same as the 11 set used. I think 4 of them will go in my 11 set box of stuff.
That's the mounting (well, half of it) for the No.3 (or 23) and No.25 WS19 carrier. (So that you can have a demountable "truck & ground" station.)

There's a variant with doubled shock absorbers (second pair mounted upside down) for the (British) WS19HP installation on Carrier No.25 - the RF amplifier is mounted on top of the set and needs the extra support. Because the combination is top heavy there's an additional shock absorber with a plate on the base and an L bracket on the top, the plate fits to the vehicle side and the L bracket is attached to the top of the amplifier with the usual three screws.

I think the actual rubber mounts are "Shock Absorber, Bridge, Mk.II" - they were also used by the Air Ministry because I've seen them on a T1154 case before now, possibly for vehicle or patrol boat use. They are a "Multi-Purpose Part" and used on a great number of radio mounting frames.

The canvas strip or moulded rubber pieces that fit between the set (and supply unit) and mounting frame are to protect the set case from the screw heads on the frame - otherwise you'd quickly get holes in the fairly thin set case. They have virtually no damping properties!

Chris.
Old 29-09-14, 22:58

Gents, How do we order from the Mackay company, I can't see a uk supplier, there is also no prices listed, I think I could make 12 of the mounts from there 300mm strip they do. But I confused as to which of the two types is the same as the 19 and 11 set mounts.

Kevin.
1943 Mk2 Daimler Dingo.
1943 Willys MB.
Old 30-09-14, 00:17
GM Fox I

Quote:
Yes they are all the same. Colour would change: black-green wrinkle circa 1941/42, brown circa 1943/44 and O.D. circa 1944/45.
Old 30-09-14, 00:22
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
Some one above your post says the rubber shock mounts weren't used on the No.23 carrier. Actually, what you have in your picture are the rails that use those rubber mounts to secure them to the vehicle wireless table, then the Carrier No.23 slides into them making it a vehicle mount, quick release kind of set-up.
Old 30-09-14, 00:26
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
The ones on my Carrier No. 23 are of a molded foam rubber design, right angled in shape. The surface of them that is in contact with the wireless equipment is smooth. The surface that rests on the rails (the undersides) have angular recesses cast into them to fit the rails, and within these recesses are six round depressions intended to fit over the screw heads used to mount the rails to the carrier chassis.

Regards,

David
Bingo, that's them. Still two patterns out there so far. I imagine the change from rubber too web was that because of that early war rubber shortage.
Old 30-09-14, 07:01

Quote:
Gents, How do we order from the Mackay company, I can't see a uk supplier, there is also no prices listed, I think I could make 12 of the mounts from there 300mm strip they do. But I confused as to which of the two types is the same as the 19 and 11 set mounts.

Kevin.
Kevin if you manage to produce a spare set from the Australian company, I'd be happy to chip in. http://www.mackayrubber.com.au/contact/

According to Bruce's drawing, the new stuff is 17mm wider. So maybe the feet can be paired back by 8mm a side and still look ok.

Ron