MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MLU ADMIN > TAC HQ

Notices

Old 05-10-15, 19:26
carrier mech

Default Should/Could we have a new member introduction section to the MLU Forum?

We have been seeing a lot of new faces in the forum this recent while. Just thought I would bring up the subject of perhaps having an introduction section. On other forums I frequent, after acceptance into the forum, you have to make a first post in the intro section, and tell about yourself, your colelcting interest, and what part of the world you are from, along with any other pertinant info.

I find it kind of breaks the ice, and as well you can look up and see who this new guy is that is asking a question or came out of nowhere to sell something. As well, those who may already know someone can come on that thread and vouch for the new person.

Thoughts from the MLU general membership?
Old 06-10-15, 05:32

The basics of this forum should be IMHO

real name

geographic area of the world you live in

introduction area.

I support Rob

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 06-10-15, 06:52
Bluebell

Me too Robin. I broke my own rule recently. I responded to the new guy because he was a fellow Kiwi. I chipped him about it and he ducked back into the darkness.
My own rule is "No name, no reply". Not long ago these people were de-registered. I would still support this approach.
It is a bit difficult to respond positively to Mr No Name, from Nowhere in particular.
The only ones on here like this are the new people.
Anyone else see it my way?

Maybe the intro should be compulsory?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 06-10-15, 12:39

Sounds like a great idea.

Tim
Old 06-10-15, 18:30

Default Agree with concept of introduction heading

Hi All

Agree with concept of introduction section, as a way understanding where people are coming from in the questions they ask and input they give. Would add to the list of information suggested is area of military vehicle or historical interest.

If we do this would suggest that we prime the pump with some us MLU old timers reintroducing ourselves giving the information we would like new members provide. Another aspect of such an inroduction would be for introducing new vehicles which are coming into the collective MLU collection.

Another possible use would be to use/import the introduction into the user public profile.

Having said all that, given what's happening to the Internet, how comfortable are we putting more information about ourselves and our collection's out there?

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 06-10-15, 19:07
carrier mech

I think part of the reason I suggest it is to avoid the "us and them". We have been a somewhat closed group for a number of years now. It doesn't make us the experts, it just means we managed to register.

When a new guy walks up to a club with his military vehicle and is told to "park it over there by the fence" and away from the main group,he often does not come back a second time. I would hope we can be welcoming of the new blood. We have been seeing the loss of some respected members over the last few years, and it started scaring me to almost see it like the "last post" section of the legion magazine. After all, if we don't get new and younger members into the hobby, then the hobby is doomed. Younger on MLU means anyone younger than 50 these days.

The intro section would hopefully make the newcomer feel welcome, and allow assesment of talent and knowledge both ways: new to old and old to new.

To the new members of MLU who might be reading this, I would like to say welcome. Some fresh perspective is always nice, and I am sure each of you can bring something to the table. There is great exerience on the board, so for sure your contributions will be rewarded tenfold.
Old 06-10-15, 22:01
MLU Administrator

Agree, and I think The Sergeants' Mess is the perfect place to get acquainted to one another. Any of the moderators & long standing members are encouraged to invite the new members over there for a round of introductions (sorry, I cannot do it all on my own )

Hanno
Old 06-10-15, 22:58
carrier mech

Could you make a level of permission whereby a new member can only visit that thread? Let them know that as part of the sign-up process. Once he has posted there to the satisfaction of the mods, one of the moderators can then approve him for full access to the remainder of the site.

See, I am full of bright ideas when someone else has to do the work.

By the way Hanno, thanks for the many hours you do spend keeping the forum alive and well. However, I must give a line (slightly modified) from the recent mad max movie: "Do not become accustomed to sleep....you will resent it's absence".
Old 06-10-15, 23:25
Tony Baker

It's been so long time since I joined, so I cannot remember the answer to the following question.
Do new members get an email sent advising of acceptance to the MLU group?
If so, can text be inserted in that email to request first posting to be in the introductory location of choice?

We want to make new people welcomed, and I think that's universal, but there are so many new folks right now. There must be a low tech way of achieving the goal without loading moderators with additional work. Asking fresh applicants to use their name and reasonably accurate location will help too.

On the subject of putting personal information on the net. I recently asked Hanno to remove or hide my thread about my Son. It was specifically for how the info contained in the posts might be potentially used to his detriment. I don't know that it could happen, but I certainly don't know that it couldn't either. It is very unfortunate that the same internet which has been such a good resource bringing enthusiasts like us together, is also responsible for some of the most damaging attacks on personal and financial security. Very fine line in deciding how much information is safe, and I don't know where that line is drawn, but surely a name and rough area of address won't be too much to ask.
Old 07-10-15, 06:44
Bluebell

It is for various reasons necessary for some people to come on board using a Non De Plume. (they are here now) In those circumstances, I would think that a new applicant / person should preferably be referred by an existing member or failing that, makes his application, directing his (her?) application to Hanno explaining privately their reason. I don't think we need people on here with names like "killer" or "colt45" or the like.
Does the vetting already happen as above?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 07-10-15, 20:01

Default Real Names .... Real people

Agree we should all use real names. Cannot think of a reason why, on a non-political, friendly forum, you need to use anything else. If you cannot or are unwilling to use your real name, either in the header, signature or member profile, what's stopping you?

Kevinwn3, for example, our newest member, is at this stage, a mystery (except, by inference, he owns a 1950s Austin?) .....

My halfpenny's worth ....

Mike
Old 08-10-15, 00:20
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Agreed

Hi All

I fully support the motion submitted by Rob. I am only a relatively new member introduced to MLU by my mate, Bob Mosley when I started restoring my 1942 Willys Jeep. I remember one of the Hammond Barn boys asking me to let the group know something about myself and I had no problems with doing that. I suspect after telling members about my background was the reason why I was so readily welcomed into the MLU family and who were so willing to assist me.

Cheers

Tony