MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 27-01-20, 03:42
Does he look like a Blitz

Default F60S Tanker Info Sought

Hello folks - am considering this vehicle.
Build date on tag seems to be after hostilities ceased?
What bits - obvious and not so - are not original?
Thanks in anticipation ...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Serial.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	962.4 KB
ID:	111669 Click image for larger version

Name:	RearRight.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	610.0 KB
ID:	111670
Click image for larger version

Name:	SideLeft.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	111671 Click image for larger version

Name:	SideRight.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	111672
Old 27-01-20, 04:11
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Smile Nice Truck

Dave.
I can't answer any of your questions... but I like the truck! Nice find.
H
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 27-01-20, 04:19
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28405
Old 27-01-20, 10:16
Does he look like a Blitz

Default Thanks Tony

Thanks Tony - our friend told me you had put eyes on it - I didn't realise you had researched and posted though So spell it out for me: it was in army service after the war?
Old 27-01-20, 20:56
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBuckle View Post
So spell it out for me: it was in army service after the war?
Well, that's the question, isn't it?

Assembled by Ford Australia in Sept '45, would there have been a need for it in the Army when they must have been considering that many vehicles were about to be surplussed?

It was bought from a widow of a veteran of the Bush Fire Brigade, who purchased it from his local brigade that he had been a member of for many decades when the vehicle became obsolete, as he had a fond association with it over the years. She claimed that her husband was a junior member of the brigade when it was obtained in the 40's and recalled that the vehicle was specially selected by the BFB before it went to the Commonwealth Disposals Commission. But was it from Army stocks or Department of Supply? Was it new, or had it already seen some limited usage? Her recollection of dates and sequences may not be as vivid as her husband's, who unfortunately cannot assist.

If you were to buy it, I believe the original paint is still well preserved under the BFB livery. I doubt it would have a unit or formation sign (if it was never issued to a unit and remained "in Store", but the presence of an ARN is likely IF it was taken on by the Army. That could then help to determine a disposal date and to who.
Old 28-01-20, 02:14

Default Raaf?

This may possibly be an Army contract vehicle (finished at the Factory in green) later transferred to the RAAF. A large number of vehicles ordered under Army contracts were transferred to the RAAF during the second half of 1945 and into 1946. Not all were used, just sat in vehicle parks until disposed of.

Most 4G engine numbers followed by a Five (5) digit number beginning with '4' seem to have ended up with the RAAF. The embossed chassis number on the dash plate of this truck - 196272 - has a number of close-by F60S relatives in RAAF service taken on charge in the latter part of 1945. For example, RAAF 213713 is listed with chassis 196257, a 'Truck, Heavy Water, Spray'. Two others close by are chassis 196250, an F60S prime mover, and 196279, a Tipper.

The RAAF recording of such things is very inconsistent, with many 'not known' entries or just left blank, so it may well be one of these. Some rubbing back may reveal more.

Tony: I have doubts about the claim 'before going to the CDC' during the post-war 1940s: the disposal method turned over all surplus equipment to the CDC. The disposals were conducted 'in situ' on military bases, and an organisation like the BFB was government-sanctioned, so had an early pick of what was available before the original supply company (in this case Ford) or joe public got their chance.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 28-01-20 at 02:22.