MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 30-09-16, 00:33
GM Fox I

Default Wireless of the Week - week 33

More 58 set: the Wireless Set (Canadian) 58 Mk.1* Tropical and Vibrator Power Unit.

The Wireless Set (Canadian) 58 Mk.1*T was a tropicalized version of the regular No.58 Mk.1* and both of these differed from the Mk.1 set in having a stamped metal case. Additionally, the send-receive switch was modified and instead of a plunger on the outside of the case as on the Mk.1, a pressel switch of the American walkie-talkie type was used. The set had a ‘net’ switch added and the method of removing the set from its case was altered to be waterproof. The topical version was waxed and otherwise treated to resist moisture and fungus. The Mk.1*T set used the same ‘Battle Battery’, VPU, aerials and accessories as the Mk.1. It had similar web attachments and was worn and operated in the same way.

The No.58 Mk.1*T set was made by Addison Industries and this one dates from 1944. Included is a picture of a 58 Mk.1 (bottom right) for comparison purposes.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  
Old 30-09-16, 00:37
GM Fox I

Default Vibrator Power Unit

An alternative power supply to the Battle Battery was the Vibrator Power Unit or VPU. It is 22 ˝ lbs, 14” tall by 10-1/2” wide by 4” deep. The outer case is aluminum with web straps allowing it to be carried on a signaller’s back or attached to his web equipment, but was also intended as a ground or vehicle power supply. Inside the case was another metal case secured by a metal strip with pins at the top and rubber nipple shock mounts on the sides and bottom. The inner case, made in the U.S.A. by Electronic Labs Inc., had a vibrator power unit on the top and a space in the bottom for two lead acid batteries: ‘A’ and ‘B’. On one side were leads for two headsets and another to connect the VPU to the wireless set. On the other side was a small switchboard and plug to allow each of the batteries to either operate the set or charge from an external 6 volt battery. This inner unit is finickity to remove and replace in the outer case even when new and must have been prone to breakage and frustration in actual use. The outer case had a full set of spare valves in the lid and small plastic windows likewise labeled “A” and ‘B’ to check fluid levels and condition of the batteries. The switchboard and cables were accessed by small hinged doors on the sides of the outer case.

The advantage of the VPU is that it would operate the set indefinitely so long as there was a 6 volt truck battery around.
Attached Thumbnails
5.jpg   6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg  
Old 30-09-16, 03:59

Default These have been great.

I have to say, and I'm not a radio guy, that this series of posts has been very welcome. I like the information and keep kicking myself for passing up on some of this stuff in the past because I just didn't know. now I have a reference to rely on. Thank you!
Old 20-07-18, 20:41
Roberta

Default New addtions to my wireles .

The newest addition to my wireless collection. The caseless top, second pattern? battle battery for the W-58 T set, unfortunly missing one headset connector.
And a steel battery box ZB12715 12 volt 22A.H. Mk2 Possibly WS-22 set.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4701.jpg  

MK I * universal carrier
1942 WLC Harley under restoration
1957 M38A1 jeep
R.E.L. optical equipment
Military manuals
Field phones
MK II 19 set (needs work)
4 MK III W-19 sets
AN/PRC-9
CPRC-26