MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 26-02-09, 11:44
WO8 C15A 142736

The tyre is off and I had a bit of luck today I went back to where I bought the four tyres on the blitz from onl to find out they are discontinud, but another worker there said there is one out in the written off stock pile and I could have it for $150.00 ( the original four cost $230.00 each as a field day special), they only got five originally and now I have the lot.
Finished the painting today at long last
Attached Thumbnails
P2260007 (Small).JPG   P2260002 (Small).JPG   P2260005 (Small).JPG  
Old 28-02-09, 11:29
WO8 C15A 142736

Talking

At long last it's out of the shed and looking like a blitz again Still a bit of work left to do like add a tray and aim headights. Today I redesigned the 4WD engaging leaver to fit around the hadbreak rod and fitted the seats and droped the roof on. No time to make a box so I'll drop the spray rig on and remove the equiptment that will hae to do for now
Attached Thumbnails
P2280010 (Small).JPG   P2280009 (Small).JPG   P2280012 (Small).JPG  
Old 03-03-09, 11:33
WO8 C15A 142736

It's not finished but I'm having a rego check tomorrow to see if I can drive it at Corowa. I'll hit the tray with a bit of paint on Friday. Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
P3030013 (Small).JPG   P3030016 (Small).JPG   P3030019 (Small).JPG  
Old 03-03-09, 13:54
Terry

morning Robert ........

well speedy Gonzalas would be proud !, truck is lookin fine, amaizing that your gonna put here back to work, should be a great rolling business card so to speak.

Yes you need to Corowa is I can watch all the trucks in the next YOTB video

wish I could be there but for now will,have to rely on all you down under to snap lotsa pics and post them on MLU for all of us around the world to see.

keep up the good work !

1942ish F15441-M
Old 04-03-09, 09:17
VK3HO

Default Re rego check

Hi Robert how did you go with the rego check and do you need screens for it to comply ? John Stokes
Old 04-03-09, 09:53
WO8 C15A 142736

HELLO COROWA, look out overdraft.
Thank you to all who helped me through the and , without your encourigement I would have quit half way. This last week has been hell at times.
No I didn't need screens for historical rego but if I put the screens in I have to have a working wiper and I haven't got that far yet
Attached Thumbnails
P3040021 (Small).JPG   P3040020 (Small).JPG  
Old 04-03-09, 10:08

Robert you have done a fantastic job.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 04-03-09, 11:53
WO8 C15A 142736

Thanks Cliff but there is a lot of work to do yet, those that get to see it up close will easily spot the flaws.
Old 05-03-09, 11:46
VK3HO

Default Seat covers

Hi Robert where did you get your seat covers ?
Old 05-03-09, 19:30
Terry

Red face

Robert

Glad you are ready for the Corowa show .......... Ill look forward to seeing it in the YOTB II DVD

I see your MLU decals , looks good, mine are on the way here soon from Ontario via Chris V.

I did however get a neat item for my displays down the road when get my Blitz on the road pic attached.

I also got another interesting find but its not here yet
but will post when I get them.

Happy days in Corowa
Attached Thumbnails
helmet pics 1 011.jpg  

1942ish F15441-M
Old 05-03-09, 20:36
WO8 C15A 142736

Hi John the seat covers were made by Mark Crain upholsterer in Tumut. I didn't have springs so the seats are foam.
Hi Terry looking forward to your updates, I've been planing thistrip to Corowa for two years so it's a releaf that it is finally here. I load onto the transport at 07:00 Sunday.
Old 05-03-09, 22:19
Rick Cove

Robert, well done. Looking forward to seeing it at Corowa. Looks like we will break the old record of 34 blitz's this time. Travel safe.
Rick ( President KVE Inc.)
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 07-03-09, 10:46
WO8 C15A 142736

Last chace to post before I leave in the morning I will try to say hello to everyone, I hope to meet all the MLU members who helped me with posts and PM's. As far as I know I am at the tent Wednesday second shift. See you all during the week.
Old 07-03-09, 10:59
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Last post

Have a great trip Robert!

Looking forward to catching up.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 07-03-09, 11:18
Andrew

Doing well Robert
Have a good trip and a great week
Unfortunately my plans to get to corowa were undone this week and will not be attending
everyone make sure to take lots of photos and post them

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"
Old 30-04-09, 13:55
WO8 C15A 142736

On my first local club run to the Batlow show on 4/4/09 I blew the flange gasket. The home made wire ring usd to last for years on 214 bedfords but only lasted 130 miles on the blitz. So today I flatened the flange on a peugeot dirsel tail pipe and welded it to the blitz pipe with a foot of rusty number 10 fencing wire, cut a holden gasket in two and glued back to back with mufler puty and reasembled. Results a quiet blitz again so far.
Attached Thumbnails
P4300355 (Small).JPG   P4300356 (Small).JPG  

Last edited by hrpearce; 03-05-09 at 11:49.
Old 03-05-09, 12:12
WO8 C15A 142736

I did another 100 miles in the blitz over the weekend and thankfully it stayed quiet. I could hear all the other wines and rattles . On saturday I drove in the festival of the falling leaf parade in Tumut. I left the blitz in Tumut over night then went on a club run and BBQ today, it was a great weekend and the boys took it in turns to freeze beside me.
I now have to find time to go back to Tumut and see if I can have a long chat to a vetrin who saw me parking the blitz for its overnight stay and wandered over the road and said I used to drive these in the islands after the Japs surrendered, he then got called home. He was watching for me to return this morning and came back across with a black and white photo about 3"x 2" and we talked for about half an hour, it has wet my apitite and I plan to go back with a camera and pen and paper to see how much he is prepared to share. If it wasen't for the blitz I would not have met this man and he is only across the street and one house up from my brother in law.
Attached Thumbnails
P5020125 (Small).JPG  
Old 03-05-09, 23:32
Film maker, CMP addict

Hi Robert

What a great time of year to be driving a blitz in a parade and good to see you're enjoying the fruit of your labour.

These vehicles certainly are an excellent way to meet people, particularly veterans - looking forward to hearing more from this guy. The more people recording oral history (and pics) the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpearce View Post
I did another 100 miles in the blitz over the weekend and thankfully it stayed quiet. I could hear all the other wines and rattles . On saturday I drove in the festival of the falling leaf parade in Tumut. I left the blitz in Tumut over night then went on a club run and BBQ today, it was a great weekend and the boys took it in turns to freeze beside me.
I now have to find time to go back to Tumut and see if I can have a long chat to a vetrin who saw me parking the blitz for its overnight stay and wandered over the road and said I used to drive these in the islands after the Japs surrendered, he then got called home. He was watching for me to return this morning and came back across with a black and white photo about 3"x 2" and we talked for about half an hour, it has wet my apitite and I plan to go back with a camera and pen and paper to see how much he is prepared to share. If it wasen't for the blitz I would not have met this man and he is only across the street and one house up from my brother in law.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 04-05-09, 11:36
Rick Cove

Robert,
There is a good photo of your truck in the middle of a line up taken at Corowa in the latest edition of the "Owner Driver" magazine (See page 32).
There is a two page spread on Corowa and the main picture is of 6 Blitzes with yours on the middle.

The Owner Driver can be picked up at any major trucking company or parts supplier. Free of charge.

On page 16 there is the sad sight of a 1942 Dodge Weapons Carrier burnt out in the Black Saturday Fires.
Regards
Rick
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 04-05-09, 12:20
WO8 C15A 142736

Thanks Rick I am going to Wagga on Wednesday so I will try and pick up a copy. One of the club members told me yesterday that my blitz was in a photo on the road to the airport in a magazine. At this rate I'll get a swolen head
Old 29-06-09, 12:57
WO8 C15A 142736

Thumbs up

Thanks to epay I now have enough 20" rims to get a bit of road spead out of the blitz on club runs.
Attached Images

Old 19-07-09, 12:18
WO8 C15A 142736

This weekend was spent on a road trip. I first went to Axedale to pick up three 20" rims, Keith is well known there. Then I drove on to St Arnaud on family business. By the time I got back to Corowa I had been driving for 14 hours so I stoped for the night. Finished the drive home this morning, it was a great trip. Did I drive close to any members as I have to go back to St Arnaud in a fiew weeks when the silversmith finishes working on a tea service thats been in the family since 1910.
Attached Thumbnails
P7190294 (Small).JPG   P7190295 (Small).JPG  
Old 22-07-09, 00:14
WO8 C15A 142736

I was given a 3 ton jack yesterday just for giving a helping hand without being asked. I just have to restore it as it's been lying beside the shed for quite a while. I'll have to make a handle as well it will give me something to do if we ever get a wet winter again.
Attached Thumbnails
P7210296 (Small).JPG  
Old 22-07-09, 10:50

Default jack

Howard just find an old Holden windup ,then check the square size, build up if needed.
Old 22-07-09, 12:18
WO8 C15A 142736

Howard?????????????????????
Old 16-08-09, 07:06
WO8 C15A 142736

The penentrating oil finally loosened the screws and I got the jack in half today. It was full of water wich I have replaced with oil to soak until I get a chance for futher work.
Attached Thumbnails
P8160031 (Small).JPG  
Old 21-08-09, 13:30
Lionel G. Evans

Default Tractor Jib Crane

Quote:
I finished painting the nosecone today some spots are hard to get. A milestone was reached today with the cab frame being put back on. Vicki arrived home just in time to drive the tractor as by myself I kept trying to either smash the carby or distributor the help was much aprecated and the frame droped straight in with us working together
G'day Robert,

That cab metal work is so clean and straight looking you could eat off it. You have really done a great job. Is there any chance of getting a photo of how the jib crane you used to lift the cab is fitted to your tractor - also what horse power is it?

Kind Regards
Lionel
Old 22-08-09, 01:53
WO8 C15A 142736

Hi Lionel,
The tractor is 40 Hp Ford made in Japan. I made a front 3PL for it years ago to make it more useful. The jib just replaces the top link on the scrubbing blade, it's easier to use on the front than the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
P8160032 (Small).JPG  
Old 22-08-09, 05:47
Lionel G. Evans

Default Tractor Jib Crane

Quote:
Hi Lionel,
The tractor is 40 Hp Ford made in Japan. I made a front 3PL for it years ago to make it more useful. The jib just replaces the top link on the scrubbing blade, it's easier to use on the front than the rear.

G'day Robert,

Thanks for the reply, I thought it looked a bit bigger than my tractor. The three point linkage on the front must be really handy and a big plus not having to look behind you all the time.

I only have a 28 horse power Yanmar 4wd which is too small to hang a jib off. I have a three point linkage jib crane and I am thinking about hanging it off a differential with wheels and mounting a triangle frame with a similar sized wheel hanging off the top of the triangle. Then using a hand operated hydraulic ram mounted on the triangle frame to lift the jib. At the back of the diff I would put a drawbar which hooks up to tow ball mounted on the front of the tractor. That way the weight of the load would be supported on three wheels and the tractor would just shift the whole rig around the paddock.

I want to be able to lift off the tray of my two trucks which both have motors that do not work at the moment and shift the trays into the paddock so I have access to the chassis and then use it to lift the cabs off too.

I will be using the thickest wall RHS to make it nice and strong. Do you think by looking at my sketch that my mobile jib would work? Nothing is drawn to scale just playing with the idea at the moment.

Kind Regards
Lionel
Attached Thumbnails
jib crane.JPG  

Last edited by Lionelgee; 22-08-09 at 06:06.
Old 22-08-09, 06:02
Lionel G. Evans

G’day Robert,

Yaven Creek is not far from my ancestral home of Temora. I am the third generation of my family to be born there. We moved to Goulburn before I started school. My family used to go back to Temora for nearly every long-weekend and holiday break. I got sick of being cold and moved to Queensland when I was 20 for the sun and warmth. I still have links to Temora as my Uncle and Step-grandfather still live there; plus lots of cousins.

Kind Regards
Lionel