MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 18-10-15, 06:18

Default M38A1 - Distributer Ignition Wire interference with Alternator

I have a situation on my M38A1 CDN2 where the ignition #12 wire coming out of the distributor housing is basically in an interference position with the tail end of the alternator (see first photo). Sorry for the poor photo. Second photo is with alternator and wires removed. I had to repair the damaged #12 wire, that you can see in the first photo.

Is there a way that I can reposition (rotate clockwise) my distributor to a new happy position without messing up the timing? I cant think of how that can be done, but I just wanted to check to see if someone has had to deal with this before, and what you did to correct the situation.

Please post photos of other CDN 2's & 3's with alternators (vs generators), as I am curious to see the differences in fit between the components in that area. I may get a solution. - Thanks, Wayne -
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2221.JPG   IMG_2226.JPG  
Old 18-10-15, 06:33
carrier mech

Do not fear having to time your M38A1. It is simplicity itself. You can use any 12 volt inductive timing light. You merely replace the number one wire temporarily with a piece of spark plug cable, or else you can undo the #1 wire at the plug, and install a 5" or so long piece of wire from the end of the original supressed wire into the spark plug.

You then only hook your timing light onto one battery so you get 12 volt, put the inductive pickup over the regular wire, and time the Jeep. When you get the timing right, and if the wire inlet for the distributor is still in a bad position, then move on to my next suggestions.

So now that that's over, let's talk about your options when the distributor is too close to the alternator.

You can remove the distributor, then drop the oil pump, turn the gear clockwise one tooth, and re-install it into the block. Once you install your distributor, it will now be further away from the alternator.

The other option is to use a spare M151A2 distributor housing, as they had the wire coming out at an angle, which worked better for the M38 family.
Old 18-10-15, 06:56

Default Option 2 or 3

Thanks for coming to the rescue Rob. I will pursue option 2, as I am timed fairly good, and just don't like the proximity as it is. I think I have an M151 distributer mixed in with some stuff somewhere, so if I come across it I will consider option 3. Thanks again, Wayne.
Old 02-12-15, 04:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
You can remove the distributor, then drop the oil pump, turn the gear clockwise one tooth, and re-install it into the block. Once you install your distributor, it will now be further away from the alternator.

The other option is to use a spare M151A2 distributor housing, as they had the wire coming out at an angle, which worked better for the M38 family.
Today I dropped the oil pump and rotated the gear, and same with the distributor... Seems to have accomplished the repositioning goal (thanks again Rob). I won't get a chance to set the timing and see the change in clearance between the alternator and ignition wire until spring, as the jeep is stripped to the frame right now.

I took a look at a distributor housing from an M151A2, and I agree they look like a far better fit for the M38A1. I may keep my eye open for one and swap it over in the future.
Old 23-12-15, 05:53

Engine is now static timed, and the final position of the distributor (and ignition wire) looks much better now.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine right side.jpg  
Old 23-12-15, 13:41
carrier mech

Lots of room for advancing the distributor now Wayne.

Are those metal shell connectors I see on your oil and temperature sending units?
Old 23-12-15, 17:41

Yes they are the metal style connectors on those two sending units. The connectors on the wire harness had been switched to match. I'm not sure why... Parts inventory shortage?? Those are the only two metal connectors on the entire vehicle.
Old 23-12-15, 20:40
carrier mech

There was an overlap between the Cdn2 and the original M38/M38A1 of about 7 years, so old stock could still show up. At least someone took the time to put the right connectors on. As well, it is possible that post service someone could have claimed these parts from an old deuce or a dodge. Of course, it is also possible that an earlier M38A1 replacement engine was used and just the pulleys changed.

I saw the odd earlier stock major assemblies show up on the newer Cdn2 and Cdn3 Jeeps. For instance, I recall one jeep with the earlier 50s style brake shoes on the rear axle. Seems to me we were able to use the M100 trailer shoes in that case.
Old 23-12-15, 23:44

Yes, I think you are correct with the idea of old-stock crossover parts usage from the overlap period. Very little appears to have been touched on this vehicle post service. Other than the change from metal connectors to rubber; its great that all of these M-series vehicles have so many interchangeable parts for a 30+ year period.

I did cut-out and replace the old splice on the harness for these two connectors to make them a bit cleaner. I replaced the soldered and taped splice with a good connector and heat shrink.

Last edited by Wayne Hingley; 23-12-15 at 23:51.