MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 02-08-19, 17:25

Default bogie wheel

HI ALL.
I was having a problem removing the wheel spindle. did not wnt to go too hard on it. please advice
thanks
arie
Old 02-08-19, 19:18
carrier mech

Two styles...the one with nuts on both sides and the one with a nut on one end and a head on the other.

Either way, they hammer through. The spindle pins are rather soft so will mushroom. You can get a drift made (photos in the manual) that will go over the threads and the tool will seat on the flat of the pin just past the thread. You can hammer on that to get the tool through.

Worst case scenario, you hammer the spindle pin back outwards, and take an angle grinder or a file to the part that is mushroomed.

I found, after years of abuse, I had to run the pins on the lathe to get them true again. I fixed up all the threads at the same time.
Old 02-08-19, 19:30

Arie, post a picture of the spindle, showing the inside portion in particular. Early spindles are a pain in the neck to free up.

As Rob says, the early spindle has a single retaining nut on the exterior end only.
Those spindles were to be replaced with the version having a nut on both ends. A technical bulletin instructs on how to machine the old spindles into spindle drifts.

Another MLU contributor put a tremendous amount of hydraulic pressure on a stubborn spindle, and applied heat to the housing. After days of applying as much heat as Canada Pipeline could supply... no movement. Drastic measures ... he gave up, left the hydraulic pressure on, and retired for the weekend with an appropriate adult beverage in hand. On returning two days later, the spindle had released.
Old 03-08-19, 17:15

the carrier is from 1944