MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 06-02-11, 23:48
carrier mech

Default BSA Folding Bicycle

I recently received the remnants of one of these bicycles from off a farmer's scrap pile. I am going to take a shot at restoring it, although looking at the prices anything "BSA airborne paratrooper" fetch on ebay has me wondering if I should even try.

I spent the morning stripping the bike down to the frame. Still have to remove the crank yet. It appears some water had collected in the rear frame and cracked the two tubes for about 1/2" I will have to weld them back and straighten them. Otherwise, the frame is in pretty nice condition. With a bit of heat, I managed to get the seat post out, the front handle bars out, the pedal pins freed up, and the rear brake assemble and lever off, both hinge wingnuts loose, all without damaging anything.

Parts I will have to find include: BSA marked seat (I may just go with a modern Brooks seat in the meantime), front brake and lever, wheels and tires. I will also buy a set of the repro grips and decals.

Anyway, for those who may have gone through this before, here are a couple questions for you:

I note that there seems to be black paint under some areas of the green. Were the complete bikes black, then over painted with the olive drab? Or just the frame and the pedal cranks?

Are the bearing cups on the front forks a standard item between bicycles, or unique to the BSA?

Last edited by rob love; 07-02-11 at 00:41.
Old 07-02-11, 02:20
Bluebell

Default Rob

I'm NOT sure, but I think they are a standard bycycle bearing. The inner race, balls and cage will be still current. I do mobility scooters, and they use them. The problem is probably with the outer race which is probably chromed, and knurled. This will be harder to locate. Maybe a few pictures of what you are after will help.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 07-02-11, 04:42
carrier mech

Here are some photos of the bearing races. The ball bearings were all missing.
Photo 1: Upper
Photo 2 Lower
Photo 3: Front frame

The local town has a guy who rebuilds bikes for the local kids. He literally has hundreds in his front yard. It is a great place to drop off your spare bikes as the kids grow older. I dropped a half dozen off there last summer. Guess I am going to have to go there and try and do some scrounging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009_0410decals0019.JPG (109.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0410decals0017.JPG (109.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0410decals0018.JPG (105.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-02-11, 04:44
carrier mech

Here are a couple photos of the complete project, as well as a shot of the bulged and cracked frame where the some water would have froze.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009_0410decals0021.JPG (112.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0410decals0020.JPG (120.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 07-02-11, 04:51

Default Ball Bearings

Rob:

The ball bearings are available commercially. When I redid my BSA bike about 5 years ago I needed some ball bearings and the local dealer gave me what I required. I had been saving up parts for over 10 years before the restoration work was started. Mind you this was before the internet and you had to write everyone who had parts; and of course most of them were in the UK.

Do you have the frame number off of your bike?

ED
Old 07-02-11, 05:13
carrier mech

Ed
I will likely see if I can clean the races up enough so that they will function with new balls. This poor bike had been sitting outdoors in the weather for many years. I have bought loose ball bearings before for my carrier. Just need the size. I'll shake out the frame and see if one pops out.

While on the one hand, everything is much more accessible with the internet nowadays, the problem is everything is either on ebay or priced like it's on ebay. I used to think military vehicle collectors were nuts on what we would pay for items, but now that I have seen what bicycle collectors pay for vintage parts, I am glad I usually collect military vehicles. The prices are insane. Repro grips are almost $60, a rear chain sprocket on ebay sold for $106, a seat for $270, and the small tool pouch for $173. Little wonder guys are trying to sell the complete bikes for $4 grand....the sum of the parts will come close to that.

I'll have to grab the serial number tomorrow. I had a look at it today, but didn't think to write it down or take a photo.
Old 07-02-11, 06:06

Default BSA bike decals.

Rob,
I just ordered the 3 decal set from:
Classic Transfers
PO Box 17
Wotton-Under-Edge
Glos. GL12 8YX U.K.
I am very happy with them and ordered 2 sets in case I screw up the first one.They are selling a set for 4.75 pounds each and shipping was 3.00 pounds and they arrived fast.You can go on their website and order from them using your credit card.The reference number is 7197 and the description is BSA WWII Folding Bike Set.Their website is:
www.classictransfers.co.uk
As far as researching for a reproduction leather seat,the name Tony Colgrave came up many times on different sites as the man who has a really nice replica leather seat offered.I have researched his name for a website address but was not able to come up with one,only an address:
A Colgrave Wellhouse
Northian Rye,East Sussex
TN31 6HY England
His Phone number is 01797 253177
I have never phoned overseas before so am unsure of the procedure and if I will get a clear signal so I can understand the conversation!
Does anybody know if Tony has a website where he could be contacted for an order?
Derk.
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)
Old 07-02-11, 22:11
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Storey View Post
Do you have the frame number off of your bike?
Ed
I got the number today...it's R33587. I believe that puts it almost in the center of production.
Old 08-02-11, 07:34

Default Replica leather seats.

Hi all,
I heard back from Tony Colgrave today and he sent me the information on his Replica leather seats he makes and they look really nice.Once I catch up with the winter bills I will put in an order for one for my bike.If anybody else is interested in one for their bike,let me know and maybe we can make up an order with him and get them shipped all at once.If you are interested in the details,email me and I will forward what he sent me and you can decide.He did give a price for the leather seat alone is 155pounds.It is worth it if you see the quality of his work and I will be happy to put one on my bike,especially with what they are worth nowadays.
Regards,Derk.
derk_derin@yahoo.ca
Old 07-02-11, 09:43
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I note that there seems to be black paint under some areas of the green. Were the complete bikes black, then over painted with the olive drab? Or just the frame and the pedal cranks?
Great find Rob, looks like you have more to start with than many others restoring these bikes!

Re. the black paint, I discussed this with an vintage bike expert as I found black paint on my Dutch Army bicycle too. He said back in those days they often - if not always - used black moffellak or baking enamel as a very durable primer coat. Over this primer the manufacturer could apply a top coat to the client's specifications.

HTH,
Hanno

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 07-02-11 at 13:42. Reason: added information
Old 07-02-11, 13:02
RIP

Default Try This

Hi Rob - maybe an easy way to contact.

Tony Colegrave

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 07-02-11 at 13:37. Reason: edited e-mail link for spam control
Old 07-02-11, 18:42

Default Replica seats

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the email address.I was up to the wee hours of the morning trying to come across his email address.I just emailed him to see if they are still available and price.I know both my bicycles could use them.Maybe he could make a run of them if others here could use one.Anybody else here have a BSA bicycle they are working on?
Regards,Derk.
Old 07-02-11, 18:48
carrier mech

Derk
If it works out, I will be in for one. Let me know.