MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 26-10-08, 22:28
MLU Administrator

Default Lockheed Twin Tails (was: Lodestar lands at flight museum)

"Lodestar lands at flight museum" is probably old news to the aviation buffs on this forum, but I saw a tv show on NGC this weekend about the move earlier this year of the Lockheed Lodestar CF-TCY sitting outside, to a museum in Victoria, Canada. Try catching a re-run sometime, it's great to see how they moved the fragile plane.

Picture below shows airliners.net picture of the Lodestar in it's old location.

I have an interest in this type of aircraft as the government of the Netherlands East Indies was probably the largest airline customer when they bought a fleet of 29 Lodestars before the outbreak of WW2.

Hanno
Attached Thumbnails
1287278.jpg  
Old 08-11-08, 11:32
MLU Administrator

Default Tundra Survivor

Another Lodestar in Canada. Even though this one is in dire straits, a humongous effort is being done to saving it.

And surprisingly, there's a Dutch connection!

Quote:
Our Lockheed 18 Lodestar was one of those slated to join the Dutch East Indies Air Force in Java in 1940 where it was to have been given the serial number LT-926. However, when the Japanese overran Java, the Lodestar was diverted (seized, might be a better term) by the U.S. Government to the Army Air Corps as a C-60-LO and given the serial number 42-108787. The Army Air Corps never used the plane and released it to Canadian Pacific Air Lines in the early 1940s.

Canadian Pacific Railways purchased ten bush airlines in a short period of time, finishing with the purchase of Western Canadian Airlines in 1942, to form Canadian Pacific Airlines. In 1943, the first Lodestar was delivered to CPA and was named CF-CPA. In 1943 seven Lodestars were allocated to CPA by the USAAF especially for use on the WSR, Alaskan Highway & Canol Pipeline.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3042.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	24120
Old 09-11-08, 23:13

Hanno,

The Dutch also bought (I think 16) baby brother Lockheed 12's for Indonesia. These were the only ones fitted with dorsal turrets. They looked a bit ungainly on such a sleek aircraft.

Most were lost during the Japanese occupation and one was flown in a desperate escape from Sumatra to Ceylon with drums of fuel and hoses out the windows into the fuel tanks.

There is one left in a deserted hangar on Java which I have been attempting to buy for 20 years but trying to find the responsible family member of the now-deceased General who suddenly "owned" it in mysterious circumstances back in the 60's is almost impossible. It was still there when I looked a couple of years ago - with a Grumman Goose seaplane and a couple of T-6 Harvards.

Lang
Old 10-11-08, 00:17
MLU Administrator

Lang,

Thanks for your response. Interesting to hear about the survivor you located in Indonesia. Here´s hoping you somehow end up buying it and fly it "back" to Holland!

A Lockheed L-12 (or L-212?) is preserved at the Netherlands Military Aviation Museum at Soesterberg, The Netherlands. Details I found list it as c/n 1306, which was delivered 6 February 1942 to Netherlands East Indies Government as L2-38. Somehow it ended up in Denmark, where it last flew in the 1960s and then was retired to the Egeskov Museum. It was transferred to Soesterberg in 1985 and put on outdoor display (see pic I googled). It is currently being refurbished.

Interestingly, as the Netherlands East-Indies Army Air Corps (ML-KNIL) was the first military customer for the L-12 and no prototype was built, the suggestion was made the L-212 was in fact developed in conjunction with the ML-KNIL.
Indeed 16 seem to have been on strength during the Japanese invasion, but more were on order. Possibly some of the diverted ones ended up in Australia?

Besides the Dutch connection, there is a personal connection: there is a good chance Johannes Blok, my grandfather´s brother, flew in (or even piloted?) a Lodestar or L-212 during his chequered flying career.

Regards,
Hanno
Attached Thumbnails
pn_w4394.jpg  
Old 10-11-08, 03:41

Hanno,

A long while back when researching the Indonesian Lockheed 12 I found a Lockheed-Boeing magazine with photos of the Dutch aircraft on the production line. I am sure it said they were built to a Dutch requirement and that was the only customer.

There are a few around the world (all converted back to civil without turrets and I am sure the escapees all came through Australia - probably some were given RAAF numbers like the Ryan trainers that escaped)
Old 10-11-08, 06:15
C8AX Ambulance (NZ), UC1*

Default Here is another:

There is a Lodestar under preservation in Gisborne, New Zealand, the first city in the world to see the sun each day!

Link to the site: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~av8or/GAPS/index.html

Rob
Old 10-11-08, 06:52
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Not to forget

The world's only airworthy Hudson...

http://oldcmp.net/Images/Aircraft/Hudson/hud4_5.jpg

Link.

My friend Doug Hamilton (that's him flying the Temora Hudson) also owns an airworthy Lockheed 12.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 10-11-08, 23:13
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Indeed 16 seem to have been on strength during the Japanese invasion, but more were on order. Possibly some of the diverted ones ended up in Australia?
This webpage has a list of all L-12A´s and L-212´s in use with the ML-KNIL and Air Force both during and after WW2. Although a lot of details still need to be filled out, it gives a clue to the numbers in use. The list mentions seven L-12A´s transferred to Indonesia after the war of independence. It seems one of those is on Lang´s shopping list.

H.
Old 11-11-08, 02:22

Hanno,

Found this picture of Dutch East Indies Lockheed 12.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-08, 11:19
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
The world's only airworthy Hudson...
Ah yes, one of you SEG flights! Great to see there´s one in the air still. The Dutch flew them extensively during WW2, operating as No.320 (Dutch) Squadron RAF.

Pic below shows Lockheed Hudson T9364 "Ypenburg" pictured on 22 February 1941 at Carew Cheriton (source). Note the orange triangle on the aircraft´s nose.
Attached Thumbnails
Ypenburg.jpg  
Old 11-11-08, 11:43
MLU Administrator

Default "Look to Lockheed for Leadership"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lang View Post
A long while back when researching the Indonesian Lockheed 12 I found a Lockheed-Boeing magazine with photos of the Dutch aircraft on the production line. I am sure it said they were built to a Dutch requirement and that was the only customer.
Lang,

This Lockheed ad seems to underpin that, as the L-212 on the left is painted in Dutch markings.

H.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-08, 13:53
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Found this picture of Dutch East Indies Lockheed 12.
Lang, I think this drawing comes from a publication by Dutch Profile. Do you know this book?

Quote from a review of this book:
Quote:
The ML-KNIL (Royal Netherlands East Indies Army Air Corps) was the largest single user of the 130 Lockheed L-12 /212 aircraft built, having ordered some 36 examples. There were two versions built for the Dutch, the L-12 which was unarmed, and the L-212 which was equipped with a nose gun, dorsal turret, and could carry a small external bomb load.

There were sixteen L-212’s and two L-12’s delivered to the East Indies, the balance of the orders, eighteen L-12’s, were diverted initially to Australia, India, and to the Royal Netherlands Military Flying School (RNMFS) in Jackson, Miss. One of the L-212’s delivered to the East Indies escaped the Japanese occupation of Java, flying out on March 9, 1942 from Pameungpeuk, Java to Colombo, Ceylon via Medan and Lho Nga Sumatra, crewed by Dutch, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand pilots.
Old 26-11-08, 09:41
MLU Administrator

I think this Life magazine view showing the interior of an aircraft factory shows a Hudson being built.

Old 26-11-08, 10:18
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Hudson

Certainly has that look about it with the windows in the nose.

Quote:
I think this Life magazine view showing the interior of an aircraft factory shows a Hudson being built.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 26-11-08, 10:22

Hanno,

I don't know the book but it looks full of good info.

The story of the one which flew to Ceylon (I mentioned this trip earlier) was very dramatic. I had a copy of a very large article - about 40 pages over 3 issues - from a flying magazine in the 70's written by one of the pilots but can't find it at present.

Lang
Old 28-11-08, 16:45
MLU Administrator

Quote:
The story of the one which flew to Ceylon (I mentioned this trip earlier) was very dramatic. I had a copy of a very large article - about 40 pages over 3 issues - from a flying magazine in the 70's written by one of the pilots but can't find it at present.
Lang,

I have read about this in a Dutch book on the air war over NEI, but it was not recorded in the detail you mentioned. It sounds like one of those extraordinary feats people do when in dire straits.

H.
Old 28-11-08, 16:53
MLU Administrator

Quote:
There were sixteen L-212’s and two L-12’s delivered to the East Indies, the balance of the orders, eighteen L-12’s, were diverted initially to Australia, India, and to the Royal Netherlands Military Flying School (RNMFS) in Jackson, Miss.
Speaking of the RNMFS, here is the sole survivor of a batch of "The Other Twin Tail" which were bought by the NEI Government.

From airwarweb.net I learned Beech AT-11 c/n 3069 was one of 24 ordered by the Dutch for their Naval Air Services in the East Indies. Original serials were A1 to A24. After surrender of the East Indies the aircraft were confiscated by the Americans and they got fake serials by adding the fiscal year number '42' to the manufacturers' construction number. So c/n became 'serial' 42-3057 and so on. During the service the aircraft flew with these 'fake-serials'. When the aircraft were no longer needed they were passed to the USAAF where they got official serials. 44-72005 and on. In 1943 the Dutch Flying School lent a further six AT11s from the USAAF to speed up the training courses.

H.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0167 resized.jpg  
Old 01-12-08, 22:26
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Lang,

All I could find about this flight was that the pilot was an NCO by the name of F. Pelder. He was joined by two Australians, a New-Zealander and one Canadian. On 9 March 1942 they flew a Lockheed L2-12 with registration L-201 from Pameumpeuk, Java, to Sumatra. Via Medan and the airfield Lho-Nga near Kotaradja he left on 11 March for Colombo, a 10 hour flight. The 1,500 mile flight could only be carried out by rigging fuel barrels behind the cockpit, and transferring the fuel to the wing tanks by using a hand pump. After landing in Colombo, the aircraft was transferred to the RAF where it was registered as LV762.

The two pictures below were googled from the internet somewhere, they obviously originate from Dutch book(s).

H.
Attached Thumbnails
HPIM3068 cropped.jpg   hpim3070 cropped.jpg  
Old 12-12-08, 13:48
MLU Administrator

Quote:
And surprisingly, there's a Dutch connection!
According to a 1943 recognition sheet, the Lodestar was first converted to military use in order to convey parachute troops for the Netherlands East Indies government. The Lodestars ordered by the NEI which were not yet delivered when the NEI capitulated, were taken up by the US Government. At least four of these were transferred to Canada.
Now, this newspaper clipping of the first official paratroop jump in Canada from a Lockheed Lodestar near Shilo, Manitoba (courtesy of Colin Stevens) most likely shows another Lodestar, but I like to think it was one of those Dutch Lodestar paratroop ships!

H.
Attached Thumbnails
1_CPB_1st_parachute_jump_in_Canada_from_Lodestar.jpg  
Old 14-01-09, 17:44
MLU Administrator

Quote:
In 1943, the first Lodestar was delivered to CPA and was named CF-CPA. In 1943 seven Lodestars were allocated to CPA by the USAAF especially for use on the WSR, Alaskan Highway & Canol Pipeline.
A picture of CF-CPB in Alaska. Most likely also one of the ex-NEI order Lodestars.

Source
Attached Thumbnails
ASL-P193-191.jpg  
Old 17-12-18, 11:00
MLU Administrator

This web page lists all the Dutch Lodestars: http://www.adastron.com/lockheed/lodestar/lt9-list.htm

They had a very chequered career, serving with the Netherlands East Indies Army Air Force (ML-KNIL), RAAF, USAAF, USN and various civilian operators.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lt918.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	104122
Old 17-12-18, 11:11

Good Info Hanno

Lang