MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 12-01-19, 22:39
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Hi Peter.

Check your first photo in Post 66. That might be what you are looking for.

David
That image shows that the lamp is mounted in a position/orientation that does not shine on the white painted portion of the diff. But no doubt that it does mount to the diff clamshell bolts, but in a different orientation.
Old 14-01-19, 04:06

Default Puzzle

Guys,

Thanks for your positive words. I brought the Lynx home with the intent of restoring a tribute to those that have served our country and to provide a challenge for myself in my later years. It has certainly done the latter.

I mocked up the original bracket as it was found and discovered that when I went to mock up the light that the diameter of the remnants of the original light measured 11/16" and my replacement NOS convoy lights are 15/16". It also raised the question, did the light shine on the differential or was it orientated by 90 degrees to shine to the rear? The lack of documentation on the subject in my Lynx manuals compounds the issue.

I would welcome any suggestions or better yet some pictures.

Thanks, Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1659.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	104835 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1668.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	710.8 KB
ID:	104836 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1661.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	611.0 KB
ID:	104837
Old 14-01-19, 04:19
GM Fox I

I'd be very surprised if the lamp shone to the back instead of on the white painted dif. Every other vehicle shines on the dif so why confuse the troops?

The thread size difference takes some explaining however.
Old 14-01-19, 04:40

Peter.

Prior to your taking possession of the Lynx, it may very well be the last person to service that rear differential put the convoy lamp bracket back on the differential incorrectly.

Looking at your new photo of the mockup, the lamp points straight up and is on the opposite side from where the white paint target is located.

What if you rotate the bracket 180 degrees counterclockwise, so the lamp is now pointing straight down and move it to the left side (bolt head side) and up two bolts. It looks as if in that higher position on the left side of the differential, the beam of light from the lamp would then be on, or very close to the target area.

David
Old 14-01-19, 04:48

I was looking over the wiring diagram that is posted elsewhere on the forum and I can’t seem to find a convoy light.

Is there a chance that bracket could be mounted somewhere else under the body. Perhaps try playing around with the light pointing towards the white on an downward slop. The other end might line up to something.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 14-01-19, 04:54
GM Fox I

I find it hard to believe Lynx didn't use he same convoy light as all other CMP vehicles.
Old 14-01-19, 10:09
Bluebell

Would it have had the early rubber light? That would satisfy the smaller size of 11/16".
If that bracket was taken off and fitted on the other side, on the 2nd bolt up, then the light would maybe shine down on the white paint.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 14-01-19, 11:45

Quote:
Would it have had the early rubber light?
My thoughts exactly!

Alex
Old 14-01-19, 12:24

Is there any evidence that reinforces the idea that the convoy light was mounted to the diff other than that is where it was on Peter's Lynx ? I still think that it is a crazy idea as the vibration would have made the bulb life very short.

David
Old 14-01-19, 15:45

David.

I was wondering about that also. Any other convoy light bracket I have seen was frame mounted and punched/formed from heavy guage sheet steel. This one on the Lynx looks to be made from far heavier bar stock.

If this mount and location are correct, could it be that the Engineers at Ford anticipated the vibration problem and went with heavier bracket material to dampen out the vibration. The earlier, rubber convoy lamp may also have been chosen as an aid to reduce vibration as well.

Another consideration would be what the actual wiring harness has to tell us. Does it include a line for a convoy lamp? Where does the harness run on the vehicle for the back half of the vehicle feeding the tail lamps? What locations would any existing convoy lamp wire reach, or not reach, to connect with the convoy lamp.

An interesting mystery!

David
Old 14-01-19, 16:23
MLU Administrator

Peter,

Maybe you did find the bracket bolted to the axle, as someone sometime may have re-fitted it there.

But it does not make any sense to mount the axle flood light there. The bracket has the typical twist and downward axle to shine a light on the differential from a position on the chassis. I would spend my time on finding the correct location on the chassis.

HTH,
Hanno

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herbert View Post
I think that the movement of the diff would be insignificant compared to the rather unfocused pool of light from the lamp. On the other hand, mounting the lamp on the axle will have greatly increased the vibration it was subjected to so bulb life would have been very short. I think it was a dreadful idea !
Old 14-01-19, 16:23

That mounting location looks wrong and incorrect as it does not serve a purpose by not illuminating the white painted area and it being low mounted looks like it would be snagging and torn off in due course. Like others I feel someone, somewhere installed it in the wrong spot. Anyways as the owner/operator (and restorer) of the car you have complete licence and agency to mount it anyway you wish. One of my beliefs is "if it looks right.......it is right".
Old 14-01-19, 18:01
carrier mech

I just crawled under the lynx here at the RCA museum. There is nothing indicating there was ever a convoy lamp, nor is the diff painted white. Perhaps someone back in the day found it advantageous to install a convoy lamp on your vehicle due to whatever role it was involved in. The lamp you show does not appear to be the normal Cdn lamp....it almost looks more like the post war convoy lamp from the 50s, but not quite.
Old 15-01-19, 00:34
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I just crawled under the lynx here at the RCA museum. There is nothing indicating there was ever a convoy lamp, nor is the diff painted white. Perhaps someone back in the day found it advantageous to install a convoy lamp on your vehicle due to whatever role it was involved in. The lamp you show does not appear to be the normal Cdn lamp....it almost looks more like the post war convoy lamp from the 50s, but not quite.
I bet there was a factory convoy lamp of the standard variety. Most likely it was mounted with an L shaped bracket to the inner, underside of the hull. What may be disguising the hole is that is was used for a dual purpose and is currently filled with a nut and bolt. The other thing you need to figure out is where the 'red/white' toggle switch was mounted. This is the one that sends the current to either the two red tail lights or the white diff light.
Old 15-01-19, 00:48
Rick Cove

I spent a bit of time last night going right through both of the spare parts manuals I have for the Lynx and could not find anything to even suggest that there ever was a convoy light set up. Nothing in the wiring loom, diff details or any where else. Looking at the Lynx from the rear, you cannot see the diff unless you get right down low and look up. Maybe your late model Lynx had it but my earlier Mk.111* certainly doesn't.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 15-01-19, 01:01
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx42 View Post
I spent a bit of time last night going right through both of the spare parts manuals I have for the Lynx and could not find anything to even suggest that there ever was a convoy light set up. Nothing in the wiring loom, diff details or any where else. Looking at the Lynx from the rear, you cannot see the diff unless you get right down low and look up. Maybe your late model Lynx had it but my earlier Mk.111* certainly doesn't.
Perhaps an 'aftermarket' white disc as on carriers? The reason I say there should be one is that it was a standard identification that all vehicles had and all troops were familiar with. To say Lynx didn't need them seems odd as the soldier or driver behind any vehicle would expect the lamp and wouldn't necessarily know or care what kind of vehicle it was. That is unless there is physically no way of mounting something under the vehicle that would be visible.
Old 15-01-19, 01:08

As I posted earlier the wiring diagram doesn’t appear to have a convoy light.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 15-01-19, 01:40

Default Back on the shelf

Guys,

I truly appreciate each and every comment. The bracket is now back on the shelf where it will remain a wonder. The lack of documentation and the lack of an ID on the wiring diagram plus the fact that that the bracket does not accept a normal convoy light were major factors. The clincher was when Rob confirmed that the RCA Lynx doesn't have a convoy light since I know that the CWM Lynx doesn't either.

I continue to be amazed at the knowledge within the MLU community and the willingness to share.

Thanks again, Peter
Old 15-01-19, 02:01

After looking in both the parts and maintenance manuals, I agree with Jordan. I didn't find reference to an axle or sub lamp, a switch for it or a bracket to mount it on. The lamp and wiring are filed with electrical in the F15A parts list but I also looked in the frame, hull, instrumentation and rear axle sections in case they were filed differently on the Lynx. That said, it is always possible I missed the relevant items.
Is there by any chance a part number stamped on the bracket? If so, I can try again.
Old 15-01-19, 03:26

Default socket

maybe that is a plug in socket for a trouble light?
Old 16-01-19, 03:03

Default Manual workout

Grant,

I can think of at least four Lynx/Ford manuals that have had quite the workout (yours, Jordan's, Rick's and mine). There is no part number on the bracket and it is of an unusually heavy gauge - 3/16". I am now of the mind that this was a post war add on.

Harry,

The remnants are very similar, again not a logical fit for this location.

Thanks, Peter
Old 16-01-19, 03:24
GM Fox I

Peter, was there any remnants of white paint on the dif?
Old 17-01-19, 00:56

Default Trouble light socket

The maintenance manual points out both a dash lamp in figure 1 and a trouble lamp socket. Does anybody know of the location of the trouble lamp socket?
Old 17-01-19, 02:17

Default Diff paint and trouble light

Bruce,

There was strong evidence that the LH side of the diff was painted white, couldn't determine if the RH half was painted (badly weathered). Since the diff is biased to the right, the LH side of the diff is close to the center line of the Lynx. The question that I can't answer is when it was applied.

Harry,

The trouble light socket on the Lynx 11 is on the lower LHS of the instrument panel. Mine is currently empty and I seriously doubt that I will ever install a plug in for the windshield defroster plug. (top socket hole of the LH side of the instrument panel). The "Light-Instrument Panel" is just above the speedometer.

Peter

Name:	IMG_1675.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	750.8 KB
ID:	104930 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1677.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	939.6 KB
ID:	104931
Old 17-01-19, 04:04

Default My manuals are for the MK1

the illustrations I have are different but I'll look at the side of my dash tomorrow.
Old 23-01-19, 17:29

Default Another puzzle

Guys,

There are two heavy duty (1/2") eye bolts on the sides of the hull and while I can find them on illustrations in the maintenance and parts manuals, there is no part number for them. My question is - what purpose do they serve ? My old LH slanted bin also has a lighter eye bolt on the front side and I have photographic evidence of two additional eye bolts of the front storage bin. Again, does anyone out there know what purpose these eye bolts serve ?

Thanks, Peter

Name:	IMG_1703.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	590.4 KB
ID:	105040 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1702.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	744.3 KB
ID:	105041 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1704.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	633.0 KB
ID:	105042
Old 23-01-19, 18:25

This is a guess, not founded on any evidence - to provide securing points for lashing a tarp?
Old 23-01-19, 18:32

My first thought was lashing points but why not just weld a loop on instead. The fact that they are adjustable might suggest that fixed length metal hooks latch into them and they must be positioned just right to serve their purpose.

David
Old 23-01-19, 19:40

Default Antenna anchor

Thats the hook under the aerial that springloads it so it bends under obstacles.

Last edited by Harry Moon; 23-01-19 at 19:48.
Old 23-01-19, 19:46

Default aerial?

From the Lynx1 manual
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0683.jpg