MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 21-10-04, 22:04
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default Canadian Markings

Just a general question relating to regimental markings as applied to Canadian vehicles. What is the significance of the white bar either above or below the marking. the example I refer to is one of a vehicle in the Hochwald forest, number 45, blue on green with a white bar at the top. I believe this to be South Alberta Regt, could be GGHG as I cannot make out whether 4th or 5th armoured div.
Old 21-10-04, 22:39
RIP

Default White bar

From memory - Headquarters Squadron
Old 22-10-04, 01:17
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Canadian Markings

Quote:
Originally posted by chris vickery
Just a general question relating to regimental markings as applied to Canadian vehicles. What is the significance of the white bar either above or below the marking. the example I refer to is one of a vehicle in the Hochwald forest, number 45, blue on green with a white bar at the top. I believe this to be South Alberta Regt, could be GGHG as I cannot make out whether 4th or 5th armoured div.
Chris;

Normally, a white bar above the AoS denoted Corps Troops and a white bar below denoted Army Troops. Could you post a picture of the vehicle in question. I find it odd that if the vehicle belongs to either the SAR or GGHG, that it would have this bar above or below the AoS, specially since they were both Armoured Reconnaissance Regiments (Divisional Troops, 4th and 5th Armd Divs respectively).

Cheers
Old 22-10-04, 03:07
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default markings pic

If you look closely at the attached pic, see the marking below the soldier seated on the right hand halftrack fender. It appears to be a 45 with a white bar below it. The scan may not show it as clearly as the book. It is in Gregg's book, "Canada's Fighting Vehicles, Europe 1943-45"
Attached Images

Old 22-10-04, 16:21
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: markings pic

Hi Chris;

Did a bit of research, the picture in question is NAC PA 138353, which shows, carriers of the A&SH of C, and yes, a half-track of the SAR, and in the distance, probably the rear of two SAR B Sqn Shermans, along with a Kangaroo, which I believe to be from B Sqn of 1 CACR, who were in support of the Canadian 10th Inf Bde at this time.

The picture itself was taken sometime between 4-8 Mar 45, during operations through the 'Hochwald Gap' (OPERATION "BLOCKBUSTER")(22 Feb-10 Mar 45).

Why the SAR AoS on the half-track has a white bar below is beyond me, unless the white bar is something totally separate from the AoS, which just doesn't show up clear enough in the picture to identify.

Just a note, it is SAR and not GGHG, as you had asked earlier. The GGHG at this time were either about to embark or were already into Operation GOLDFLAKE (the move of Canadian I Corps from Italy to NWE). The GGHG did not enter operations in NWE until late Mar 45.

I have attached the complete photo in question along with a sketch map of the 'Hochwald Gap' operations.

Sources:

Photo: THE ROYAL CANADIAN ARMOURED CORPS, AN ILLUSTRATED HISTORY, by J. Marteinson & M.R. McNorgan

Sketch Map: OFFICAL HISTORY OF THE CANADIAN ARMY IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR, VOLUME III, THE VICTORY CAMPAIGN, THE OPERATIONS IN NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1944-1945, by Col. C.P. Stacey
Attached Thumbnails
sar 45.jpg  
Old 22-10-04, 16:46
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Army Troops with '45' Serial

Chris;

I forgot to mention that I haven't been able to find any Army Troops, either First Canadian Army or Second British Army who used the AoS '45'. The AoS '45' was used within both Armies to denote an Armd Recce Regt of an Armd Div in NWE.

Cheers