MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 24-07-18, 01:16

Default 19-Set Mk II Power Cable ID Needed

I have one of the above I would like to know more about.

It came with a complete working Mk II 19-Set Years ago. The Power Supply is American, The Transceiver and Vario Canadian.

The Power Cable has the early pattern 6-pin socket on the end with a 36 inch long wire loom cover. Coming out the open end of this loom are six leads, each 6 inches long and each ending in a brass ring terminal. Two leads are heavy duty guage cable: one with a red tracer has a collar on it marked "TRANS +12V", and the other has a black tracer and a collar marked "TRANS -12V".

The four lighter guage leads are as follows:

- SIGNAL
- HEATERS +12V
- Collar is too dark to read
- The last lead is missing the brass ring terminal and collar.

The main ID Collar up by the 6-Pin Socket, is also very dark and difficult to read. I am reasonably certain about the first two lines but guessing at the last two. I think it all reads as follows:

ZA 1784
PC 76451C/A2
CONNECTOR
6PT #8A2

I would like to identify what type of installation this connector was used with and if it is even 19-Set related.

David
Old 24-07-18, 09:27

Telecommunications FZ 256/3 or F226 (vmars link found on a post by universalgrl )

Wireless Set Canadian No19 Mk 111 and ancillary equipment

See page 4 part 3 installation kit cars armoured CDN FOX 1

and page 6 item 4 installation kit ws cdn, light recce, cdn. Otter1

possibly more, I did not read all the pages cheers rod

PAGE 128 / 129 !!!!!!!!

Last edited by Rod Salter; 24-07-18 at 10:04. Reason: more
Old 24-07-18, 13:01
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
I have one of the above I would like to know more about.

It came with a complete working Mk II 19-Set Years ago. The Power Supply is American, The Transceiver and Vario Canadian.

The Power Cable has the early pattern 6-pin socket on the end with a 36 inch long wire loom cover. Coming out the open end of this loom are six leads, each 6 inches long and each ending in a brass ring terminal. Two leads are heavy duty guage cable: one with a red tracer has a collar on it marked "TRANS +12V", and the other has a black tracer and a collar marked "TRANS -12V".

The four lighter guage leads are as follows:

- SIGNAL
- HEATERS +12V
- Collar is too dark to read
- The last lead is missing the brass ring terminal and collar.

The main ID Collar up by the 6-Pin Socket, is also very dark and difficult to read. I am reasonably certain about the first two lines but guessing at the last two. I think it all reads as follows:

ZA 1784
PC 76451C/A2
CONNECTOR
6PT #8A2

I would like to identify what type of installation this connector was used with and if it is even 19-Set related.

David
One or other of the tank installations, I suspect.

TRANS + and - are for the dynamotor(s)
HEATERS + and - are for the set heaters and relay supply
SIGNAL is the buzzer line from the Driver Intercom box (Call Commander)
SPEECH is the IC amplifier output for the Driver intercom
The two unidentified wires will be HEATERS - and SPEECH, and can be traced with an ohmmeter fairly easily.

The cable connects to the turret junction box (and then via the rotary base junction to the hull wiring for power and driver intercom connections.

The reason for splitting the dynamotor and heater feeds is so that the set can be run from 12 or 24 volts by splitting the load across the 24 volt supply (if you have a 3-wire system) to equalise the battery drain.

It's WS19 all right, and could be for anything from Matilda/Valentine all the way up to Sherman. A "multi-purpose part", basically.

Chris.