MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Parts/Sources/Prices

Notices

Old 28-12-18, 10:25

Default NOS Cab 13 windshield glass dimensions

Just for reference for anyone who is looking to replace their windshield glass in the 13 cab (both Chev and Ford I believe), I just measured up some NOS glass that I'm putting into my Chev. Dimensions are as follows:

TOP: 760mm
BOTTOM: 758mm
SHORT SIDE: 335mm
LONG SIDE: 377mm

Just a young kid in an old guys game
Old 28-12-18, 15:41
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Bruce View Post
Just for reference for anyone who is looking to replace their windshield glass in the 13 cab (both Chev and Ford I believe), I just measured up some NOS glass that I'm putting into my Chev. Dimensions are as follows:

TOP: 760mm
BOTTOM: 758mm
SHORT SIDE: 335mm
LONG SIDE: 377mm
Thanks for that. I suppose it goes without saying that the top two angles are 90 degrees and the lower outer (long) side is less than, and the lower inner (short) side is more than 90 degrees.
Old 28-12-18, 18:12

Default For future resource how thick

Hi Beau

Just for the person looking at this thread 10 years from now. How thick is the glass?

This type of information is just so much help for further restorations. I've saved one of the original windshield glass panel which I replaced years ago for future reference. When it is a little warmer I'll have to pull it out and measure it to add to the information you have just added to the MLU information base.

Thanks.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 28-12-18, 23:17
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
Thanks for that. I suppose it goes without saying that the top two angles are 90 degrees....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman
I've saved one of the original windshield glass panel which I replaced years ago for future reference. When it is a little warmer I'll have to pull it out and measure it to add to the information you have just added...
Perhaps in addition to confirming the 90deg angles, diagonal measurements would help?
Old 28-12-18, 23:24
GM Fox I

And...does the NOS original still have a slightly greenish tint (not for sun screen, but just because of how it was made)? I expect so as clear glass seems to be a newer thing.
Old 29-12-18, 04:19
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Tempered construction glass has the greenish tint still

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 29-12-18, 11:33

I will get thickness, diagonal measurements and will try and get exact angles as well tomorrow. Good thing I didn’t finish putting the last one in today...

Old 30-12-18, 06:31

Default Additional information as requested

Ok, so bear with me here in my explaining and if you don’t understand something I’ll try and reexplain it but here we go...

Glass thickness is 7mm

From the top of the short side to the bottom of the long side is 845mm, from the bottom of the short side to the top of the long side is 828mm

Both top corners are 90 degrees as previously stated.

Now for the tricky bit so someone correct me if I’m wrong here but I believe I’m correct. I flipped the glass pane upside down on a level surface, then using some fancy protractor the old man had in the shed that uses gravity to measure its angles, a 5 degree downward (or upward depending which way you look at it I guess) slope.
So I believe that the long side bottom angle (smaller angle of the two) is 85 degrees and the short side bottom angle (larger angle of the two) is 95 degrees.

And as too the greenish tint, there is a slightly greenish shade to it looking through the pane but looking side on to the pane (looking at the thickness of the pane if you will) is definitely a greenish-aqua colour.

Sorry for the long winded explaination but I hope this answers anyone’s questions reguarding the windscreen glass, as it’s about to be put back together.

Old 30-12-18, 14:50
GM Fox I

Something's not right. The bottom side should be slightly longer than the top being a 'slope', but only by about 1mm. If the 760mm is right, mathematically the bottom should be 761mm. Maybe some rounding due to polishing?

If you subtract the short side from the long (ie. 377mm-335mm 42mm) and make a triangle with sides of 760mm (width) and 42mm (tall) the angles work out to 86.83 degrees (lower, outer angle) and 3.16 degrees (which plus 90 degrees makes the lower, inner angle 93.16 degrees. But who cares so long as the top 760 and 377/335 sides are right with 90 degree top corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Bruce View Post
Ok, so bear with me here in my explaining and if you don’t understand something I’ll try and reexplain it but here we go...

Glass thickness is 7mm

From the top of the short side to the bottom of the long side is 845mm, from the bottom of the short side to the top of the long side is 828mm

Both top corners are 90 degrees as previously stated.

Now for the tricky bit so someone correct me if I’m wrong here but I believe I’m correct. I flipped the glass pane upside down on a level surface, then using some fancy protractor the old man had in the shed that uses gravity to measure its angles, a 5 degree downward (or upward depending which way you look at it I guess) slope.
So I believe that the long side bottom angle (smaller angle of the two) is 85 degrees and the short side bottom angle (larger angle of the two) is 95 degrees.

And as too the greenish tint, there is a slightly greenish shade to it looking through the pane but looking side on to the pane (looking at the thickness of the pane if you will) is definitely a greenish-aqua colour.

Sorry for the long winded explaination but I hope this answers anyone’s questions reguarding the windscreen glass, as it’s about to be put back together.