MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 25-10-06, 03:25
Dave Demorrow

Default great trip down under

thanks to all my friends down under for a great trip. i finaly got to see a LP2A and a field of chevy CMPs (i understand in upper NSW they have higher standards). i even managed to get some bits home. and yes UC sprockets WILL fit in your checked bags. im looking for a good / cut LP hull with running gear, and a matilda hull with running gear. any ideas they need to be on the east coasn not too far from coffs harbor.

of the entire trip i give it a 8.5 out of 10 (10 being all the girls look like a 25 yo O.N.J., and everyone driving green stuff. i had a good time in sydney but had a hard time understanding the people there. i dont speak chines. i loved it that everyone there tried to tell me that they loved the USA, just not the people there ?!?!? and how the US parlerment was going to throw out all the republicans and the president next year?????? i even had to bite my toung when some ass who owns a disposal store near the train station told me how stuffed up the USA is. good thing there was not a gun shop next door...... whoops there was, just kidding. i still think the big bananna would make a great local AFV.

again, anyone know of a matilda hull FS?
thanks again to all my friends down under keith, max and everyone else. next year its off to ACT and we will see if max can set us up for the night.
dave

42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 25-10-06, 17:03
RIP

Default Ahhh ! Australia

Now that my wife and I are getting a legal seperation Oct.31st,I've been thinking of a trip to Oz,preferably in February,when the weather here in Canada would freeze the (you know what) off a brass monkey.Maybe I can bring my kilt and work sheep shearing on Max's farm.I have a cousin in Adelaide where I may be able to stay.Learned on the internet that a a long ago relative went with the British Army to Hobart,Tansmania,as a prison guard and never left the island.I can be his resurrection and save our colonial brethern.HMMM ! Good idea.I wonder what airfare from Montreal to Oz would cost ? :idea:
Old 25-10-06, 17:11
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Passage...

Garry..
back in the old days you could work your passage on a freighter..
You are in the port of montreal..Of course Feb.is not great for shipping in Montreal but the when the river opens it could be a thought..
Ships drummer....cabin boy....cooks helper...
It's a thought...
Old 25-10-06, 18:04
Dave Demorrow

go down in feb. thats one of the low seasons for some reason. it might be that its 90000 deg in the shade

i saw lots of canadians down there, all rusting in the padic.
42 6LB GUN
Old 25-10-06, 21:15
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: Ahhh ! Australia

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Now that my wife and I are getting a legal seperation Oct.31st,I've been thinking of a trip to Oz,preferably in February,when the weather here in Canada would freeze the (you know what) off a brass monkey.Maybe I can bring my kilt and work sheep shearing on Max's farm.I have a cousin in Adelaide where I may be able to stay.Learned on the internet that a a long ago relative went with the British Army to Hobart,Tansmania,as a prison guard and never left the island.I can be his resurrection and save our colonial brethern.HMMM ! Good idea.I wonder what airfare from Montreal to Oz would cost ? :idea:
Hi Garry

Why not make it March and come to Corowa - you'll meet many of us there, see large numbers of our MVs and enjoy amazing mateship and hospitality.

A return flight is under $1,500 Canadian, but the killer is the time it takes... but rest assured it's worth it.

March temperatures in Corowa will be quite warm indeed, but it's low humidity.

Both trips I've made to Canada have been in February because of other commitments and it's great to be able to get back to the heat!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 26-10-06, 03:22
RIP

Default Thanks Keith/Al

Al,a good friend of mine signed onto a ship out of Montreal back in 1979,the tear I bought my Mini Cooper "S".Took the lad 5 months to get to OZ.But as far as Keefie is concene,I don't care about climate.as long as it don't rain the white stuffr.Maybe I can steal a blitz and bring it HOME where it belongs.By the way Al,I may be in Nepean off Merrivale road,on Chesterton Drive at Xmas.PM me privately with your fone number so I can look up ypur kilt(OOPS I mean number)

Garry
Old 26-10-06, 04:54
Pops

Default trip to oz

Gary if you decide to come down here in February rest assured that you will be roasted to well done as it can get fairly warm down here sometimes reaching up to 43 C, but we're haoping if you come you will bring rain. Shearing will be all done then but we may be crutching then and it's also ou fire season. As keefy suggested March would be better as not only is Corowa on but the weather is usually much more pleasant then.

Dave it was good to talk to you on the phone and next time you come you will definitely have to come and stay here for a while, as there are many places easy drive from here that you could visit.

Max
Old 26-10-06, 05:21
Dave Demorrow

max count on it.
i have internet phone and so i will keep in touch if thats OK with you. i had a great time after i got out of the land of sydney .

ok i had a good time there too...

i had a chance to hook up with some reeinactors and that was quite strange... they do US infantry and marine on one side and jap / german on the other. i ask about doing ausie and he just gave me the fish eye look. i went to the military book store (napolians) and they didnt have any books on AIF patches. i had to order one from way down south, turned out to be a great book.

max, do you know of anyone with a valantine tank or even parts to one? need photos.
thanks
dave
42 6LB GUN
Old 26-10-06, 09:51
RIP

Default Oz Trip

Garry
Definitely make it for Corowa, March 12-17. You could camp here and come to Corowa with us where you could hook up with other MLUers and go to their places. We moved Swiss Chris all over the countryside, we can do the same with you. Mind you you would have to buy one of my hats, which reminds me I'd better get designing as time is moving on.
Bob
Old 27-10-06, 06:26
Pops

Default tanks

Dave, no I'm not big into tanks maybe this is keefy's territory

Max