MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 24-02-06, 09:03
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default Kangaroos in Italy (HELP!)

Does anyone here have access to or know of good, detailed reference for British armoured units in Italy (and infantry co-operation)?

I am trying to ascertain exactly which units in 15AG used converted Shermans and M7 Priests as "Kangaroos" after January 1945. I have been able to gather a few details but that's all. Before I go on a UK public records hunt I want to make sure I have all my facts straight. All my current resources (mostly all Canadian Army) are vague at best.

What I know so far (and it ain't much):
First use in Italy, Jan 4/45. 5 Corps' attack on Granarolo Slient. 7th Armoured Brigade, infantry of the 56th Div. (ref. Nicholson, The Canadians in Italy)

10th Hussars, 2/6 Queens, 14/20 Hussars (ref. Liddell Hart, The tanks Vol2)

"A" Squadron 4th Queen's Own Hussars (internet)

That's it. (!?) I am also under the impression that none of these units were full kangaroo regiments (like the 1CACR and 49APCR in NWE) but operating only a single Squadron or even just a few troops of these specialized vehicles? I also read (on the net) that some of these squadrons had a mix of Shermans and Priests? One internet source also mentioned Rams as well?? That however I doubt.

While I have some CMHQ documentation from the National Archives that mentions preparing a quantity of converted Ram Kangaroos for Italy (mid December 1944), I have nothing to support that suggestion was ever carried out, in fact the time and expense to transport them to the Italian theatre doesn't make much sense.

SO if anyone can help me zero in on the ALL the units that used Kangs in the Italian theatre I would much appreciate it. Thanks,

Bill.
Old 24-02-06, 10:34
MLU Administrator

Hi Bill,

I'm sure you have seen the links below. I am in a hurry so I don't have the time to check, so here you go anyway:
- Kangaroos?
- Kangaroo Photos wanted
- Sherman Register > Kangaroos in Italy

Cheers,
Hanno
Old 24-02-06, 14:03
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Kangaroos in Italy

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
I'm sure you have seen the links below. I am in a hurry so I don't have the time to check, so here you go anyway:
- Kangaroos?
Hi Bill;

The answer to all of your questions can be found within the first link that Hanno posted (see above Kangaroos? link).

Cheers
Old 24-02-06, 17:18
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default Thanks Guys!

Not sure how I missed that thread!?!? LOL, it pretty much covers everything I need to know! It was a late night, let's chalk it up to that.

Good info, that will give my guy in the UK a lot to work with, thanks again
Old 26-02-06, 14:53
MLU Administrator

Here´s a picture of a Priest Kangaroo Bill sent to me earlier. It was recently posted to the IWM´s online search:
Quote:
A Priest Kangaroo personnel carrier of 209th Self-Propelled Battery, Royal Artillery, transports infantry of 78th Division near Conselice, 13 April 1945.
Attached Images