MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 17-02-13, 01:58

Default No. 19 Set Horizontal Aerials

A couple of questions.

1) Does anyone know what companies manufactured the horizontal aerials? I have seen the wooden aerial reels with either white or black lettering, so am assuming at least two companies may have been involved.

2) Can anyone provide detail photos of how the connection is made between the end of the horizontal element and the aerial lead that feeds down to the set? Every photo I have seen of the aerial wound up on the reel shows the copper stranded element wound on one half of the wooden reel with the rubber shielded lead wound beneath it. The connection assembly is always hidden under the windings. The one aerial I have was butchered, with the connection point having been cut away and I would like to know if it is restorable, or easily replicated.

Thanks.
Old 17-02-13, 13:55
GM Fox I

As requested. Of course now you'll need to find the full set of frequency ranges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SIG28.jpg (74.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg SIG29.jpg (62.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 17-02-13, 17:04
Roberta

Default Aerials

How many people know that the radio in the second picture is a Canadian WS-29 set

MK I * universal carrier
1942 WLC Harley under restoration
1957 M38A1 jeep
R.E.L. optical equipment
Military manuals
Field phones
MK II 19 set (needs work)
4 MK III W-19 sets
AN/PRC-9
CPRC-26
WS-29 componets
WS-38 AFV
WS-38 MK III
WS-48 with generator
WS-58 MK I
MK V heliograph
Old 17-02-13, 17:34
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by universalgrl View Post
How many people know that the radio in the second picture is a Canadian WS-29 set
I do.

Seen it several times at Bruce's home.

IIRC, he's still trying to find a No 29 xmitter.
Old 17-02-13, 18:42
GM Fox I

Default Shameless plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
I do.

Seen it several times at Bruce's home.

IIRC, he's still trying to find a No 29 xmitter.
(at the risk of hijacking a thread)

Why yes Jon, I do happen to need the "A" set to complete it. Everything else is there.

Sooooo....if anyone out there has, or can give me a solid lead on one I have lots of trades. Even a very nice W/T 62 set that Jon knows a little about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wireless No.29.JPG (80.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 17-02-13, 19:41
Roberta

Default WS-29 set

So far for the WS-29 set I have found 2 B radios, 1 aerial tuning unit # C 2, 1 head set working instructions Wireless set No. 29, and Kits aerial gear No. C1.
I had heard that a number of the A sets had been buried because of the radiation hazzard. Possibly around the Winnipeg area.

Bobbie J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3785.jpg (47.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3787.jpg (48.0 KB, 17 views)

MK I * universal carrier
1942 WLC Harley under restoration
1957 M38A1 jeep
R.E.L. optical equipment
Military manuals
Field phones
MK II 19 set (needs work)
4 MK III W-19 sets
AN/PRC-9
CPRC-26
WS-29 componets
WS-38 AFV
WS-38 MK III
WS-48 with generator
WS-58 MK I
MK V heliograph
Old 17-02-13, 17:16

Thanks Bruce. Yours don't look at all like the pile of poop I've got! The reel l have is for the 185 ft Aerial No. 1. What is wound around it is three sections of 7-strand copper wire. The smaller piece (about 12 feet) has a 1/2 " spade lug on one end. The other two pieces (about 20 feet and 50 feet) have a single insulator link fastened at one end. One of these links has an additional 2 feet of stranded copper wire fitted to it, ending in a threaded terminal post.

From what I can see from your photos, the only thing original left on what I have is the soldered loop connection of the stranded copper element wire to the surviving, black, insulator links. No trace at all of the insulated feeder line to the set, or how it was connected to the aerial element.

I don't think I will ever need the full set of horizontal aerials, but I wouldn't mind tracking down a couple of the set eventually. Mind you, if I ever win a lottery and my lovely wife finally gets her dream kitchen, my perspective might change.

David
Old 17-02-13, 17:55
M38A1 CDN3

Dave:

AE connection to the No 19 set was by a metal bit of rod roughly 1" long and roughly +/- 3/16" soldered to the free end of the horizontal AE. In effect, you would have an end fed dipole.

The bit of rod fits into a "squeeze" type socket located on the rear of the set, where the F rods would go.

Make sense?
Old 17-02-13, 17:55
Geoff Truscott

Hello David
Here are a couple of scans from Wireless for the Warrior Vol.2

WS19 Horizontal Aerial 100ft No.5

WS22 Horizontal 140ft Airborne

WS22 Horizontal Aerial 100ft No.5

WS52 Ground Installation using Horizontal Wire Aerial

Here are some pictures of the Aerials Horizontal Four Sections (140ft) ZA/C00087.
The sections could be bridged to make aerials of different lengths.

The lead is rubber covered 10' long.

The connections on the lead. The plug on the left goes into any socket used for an 'F' Rod.

The plastic insulators (3) and breakable connectors.

Geoff

Last edited by Johnny Canuck; 17-02-13 at 18:06.
Old 13-12-13, 23:49
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
A couple of questions.

2) Can anyone provide detail photos of how the connection is made between the end of the horizontal element and the aerial lead that feeds down to the set? Every photo I have seen of the aerial wound up on the reel shows the copper stranded element wound on one half of the wooden reel with the rubber shielded lead wound beneath it. The connection assembly is always hidden under the windings. The one aerial I have was butchered, with the connection point having been cut away and I would like to know if it is restorable, or easily replicated.

Thanks.
(Very late to this thread, but it may still be of interest to some.)

The fixed length horizontal aerials on the 'H-shaped' wooden board winders are fairly simple and I believe I have the exact specifications somewhere. In the meantime (and from memory) they're all assembled from the same basic components: chain link insulators (which began as an RAF item and became ZA.4444 in army use), Wire, Electric, R4 (7 strand copper with a 1/2" lay), Cable, Electric, P11 (for the insulated downlead), and the metal plug that I can't remember the name of right now(!). All joints are soldered and uninsulated.

The standard lengths were:

ZA.11530 Aerial 70-ft No.1 covers 6.5 - 8.0 MHz
ZA.11531 Aerial 90-ft No.1 covers 5.5 - 6.5 MHz
ZA.11532 Aerial 110-ft No.1 covers 4.5 - 5.6 MHz
ZA.11533 Aerial 150-ft No.2 covers 3.45 - 4.5 MHz
ZA.11534 Aerial 185-ft No.1 covers 2.6 - 3.5 MHz
ZA.11535 Aerial 250-ft No.1 covers 2 - 2.65 MHz

I cannot remember offhand if the length includes the downlead, but I suspect it does.

The 150-ft aerial is No.2 because there was an earlier aerial (for WS 1 or 11?) that had a different method of connection to the set (probably a spade terminal).

Later on, Aerial, 100-ft, No.5 was issued, this was divided into sections using insulated links with clamp-on wire bridges so that one end of the aerial could be lowered to allow the length to be altered when changing frequency without the need to swap-out the entire aerial. The pre-set lengths were: 25-ft, 45-ft, 75-ft and 100-ft and the 25-ft section also acted as the lead-in (a spare 2-link chain insulator was issued to attach the halyard at a suitable point when hauling up). This aerial was entirely uninsulated (Wire, R4) and terminated with a plated brass spade connector - usable with aerial base No.10 (and others that had a screw terminal) or the later "Plates, Connector No.2A" variometer adapter with the screw terminal and bakelite "castle" insulator.

They were all "general purpose' aerials and issued with a variety of wireless sets - mainly truck or command vehicles where skywave communication was used.

Components were also issued separately for the larger radio trucks (WS12, 33, 53, etc), and included insulators (1, 2 and 3-link), cordage, and Wire, Electric, R4 (in a mysterious 41-yard packet), plus Cable, Electric, P11. Higher power sets came with Wire, Electric, R7 and Cable, Electric, P13 - heavier wire and (in the latter case) thicker insulation.

The 41 yards looks like a peculiar length until you realise it's a quarter wavelength at 2MHz and two packets are all you need for a dipole at the lowest frequency the set will cover.

I suspect the "Aerial, 100-ft, No.5" was a clone of the Canadian "ZA/C0087 Aerial, Horizontal, 4 Section" issued with the WS52 (much like the later "Mast, Telescopic 27-ft"
is an obvious development of the Canadian 34-ft telescopic mast of WW2 vintage).

Chris.