MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 27-12-06, 06:25
Vets Dottir

Talking Yappy's Bus Ride

Hi all,

I'm sorry I didn't spot any CMP's and such while riding the bus home from Calgary. Here is the closest thing I spotted, it's blurry ... and has really weird tires I'm sure someone can name the year of this van-ish-vehicle ...

Karmen
Attached Images

Old 27-12-06, 06:31
Vets Dottir

More bus trip ... after having left Calgary but still in Alberta ... very flat and snowless but heading towards the mountains ... which are VERY faintly visible on the horizon You don't have to believe me, but they ARE there
Attached Thumbnails
straight stretch alberta to snowcaps.jpg  
Old 27-12-06, 06:38
Vets Dottir

more views through the bus window while on the road again .... and closer to those snow caps in case you didn't believe there were any ahead, from that last photo

Can you see the buffalo????????? (just kidding ... COWS!)
Attached Thumbnails
cows and snowcaps dec26.jpg  
Old 27-12-06, 06:41
Vets Dottir

Farther into the snowy mountainy areas ................. part of the FRANK SLIDE ... another view off to the side is posted farther down
Attached Thumbnails
highway snow crop1.jpg  
Old 27-12-06, 06:44
Vets Dottir

and even farther in ............... we're in BC and about to go through the slides tunnel ..............
Attached Thumbnails
snow avalanche tunnel.jpg  
Old 27-12-06, 06:48
Vets Dottir

Fernie ... about an hpour or so from where I live ... and a VERY popular place with the Aussies who love to ski there
Attached Thumbnails
fernie.jpg  
Old 27-12-06, 06:51
Vets Dottir

Snowy trees ......
Attached Thumbnails
snowy mountain curves.jpg  
Old 27-12-06, 06:58
Vets Dottir

This one came earlier in the drive than the last photo ... it's more of the FRANK SLIDE ... bus was moving too fast to get some better photos ...

I also was too late to catch a couple of wolves or coyotes (don't know which) and a family of 4/5 deer by the highway ... Jon would shoot them anyways so it's good I don't post their picture here
Attached Thumbnails
frank slide.jpg  
Old 27-12-06, 07:05
Vets Dottir

I'm sorry I'm such an amateur with the photos (even with a digital : ) but for our friends in faraway places who haven't seen this area of the world, I hope you enjoy having a look at some of the environments round these parts.

The bus driver would NOT stop between stops for me to get out and take some REALLY good ones!

I thoroughly enjoyed the sites of the drive and I always do. I just LOVE driving and watching the changings

Karmen (at home eating chocolate mint kisses chocolates, a gift from my daughter who knows what I like )
Old 27-12-06, 10:18

Default NIce pictures

Hello Karmen.
Thanks for posting the pics of your bus trip they are great you live in a beautiful part of this world,
Thanks,
ron,
Old 27-12-06, 15:49
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
I'm sorry I'm such an amateur with the photos (even with a digital : ) but for our friends in faraway places who haven't seen this area of the world, I hope you enjoy having a look at some of the environments round these parts.
Karmen, you're doing just fine on the photos. Thanks for sharing them with us. You live in a beautiful country!

H.
Old 27-12-06, 16:01
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Yappy's Bus Ride

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm sorry I didn't spot any CMP's and such while riding the bus home from Calgary. Here is the closest thing I spotted, it's blurry ... and has really weird tires I'm sure someone can name the year of this van-ish-vehicle ...

Karmen
Hi Carmenski..
Glad your back in your digs and had a great Christmas..
The vehicle looks like a late 50's early 60's GMC or Chev Suburban.....could be ex military or Ex Rcmp but looks like 4X4 with big grippers on it and a lift kit..
Love the pix...I have made the trip through there a time or two and never get tired of the view..

Er....whats the white stuff..???

Green Christmas in Ottawa and no snow in site for the next couple of weeks..and I did get a package of double chocolat Arnotts biscuits from my daughter in Chicago...

Last edited by Alex Blair (RIP); 27-12-06 at 16:07.
Old 27-12-06, 17:18
Vets Dottir

RON ... it really is a gorgeous country right across Canada, and the varieties of environments and scenery always amazes me. I only wish I could have taken more photos but my little digital only holds up to 16 or some such, until they have to be uploaded to the computer to make room for more. I couldn't afford the extra doo-dahs attachments to be able to save and take more without having to run to the cmputer every 16 pics. The camera itself, though a "cheap" one on sale, was expensive enough

The contrasts between the beautiful tawny flat fields and entering the foothills of Alberta, then the mountains and snow, the farther into BC you get, is quite a trip.

HANNO ... thank you I was impressed at how well the photos turned out in a moving shaking bus! The windows got pretty dirty once we got to the wet melted bits on the road

I wish you ALL could have seen the gorgeous subtle colours ... after the really tawny beautiful fields, getting into bits of snow and naked trees and trees poking through ... the colours were beautiful. Tans, ornages, whites and greys, blacks, oranges, browns, purples and burgundies etc adding the varieties of sky colours, blues, whites, grays, etc ... but the land, so subtle and many would think bland and blah ... but NO WAY! GORGEOUS! All I could think of was WATERCOLOURS paintings for the Alberta fields and highways scenes. And the mountains and snow covered trees! Wow. The snow mas MUCH heavier on them for the trip TO Calgary! My batteries were low and I couldn't take pics going

ALEX ... thanks about some of the dating of that truck/van. I'd thought about the 50's as well and wasn't sure if it was military type or not. I didn't like seeing it on those huge tires like some muscle car. Maybe someone put them on to go driving in the mountains or through snow.

Yes ... the visit was great! My daughter and I more content now after having our time together. It was quiet and good. Dinner was great, with lotsa stuffing for the turkey!! Its been too long since we've had some quality "just us" time and we were both ready for it

Ah Arnotts ... Tim Tams? Good daughter to send Daddy some Arnott's

Karmen
Old 28-12-06, 02:51

Default Bus Trip,

Hi Karmen.
The closest I got to Canada was a few years back I did see quite a lot of the U S A, and then went up to the great lakes, I had intended to stay at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island it was a sentimental trip for me .a promise made a few years before, but I arrived two days to late and it was closed for the winter, its the hotel that was used in the movie Somewhere in time, But with time I may get there
Regards,
Ron,
Old 28-12-06, 03:10
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

The last time Alex was on the road, it was on wooden wheels being pulled by a horse.
Old 28-12-06, 07:15
Vets Dottir

Quote:
[B]This one came earlier in the drive than the last photo ... it's more of the FRANK SLIDE ... bus was moving too fast to get some better photos ...
The sad story about Alberta's FRANK SLIDE ...

http://www3.sympatico.ca/goweezer/canada/frank.htm

Karmen
Old 28-12-06, 07:25
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Bus Trip,

Quote:
Originally posted by ron
Hi Karmen.
The closest I got to Canada was a few years back I did see quite a lot of the U S A, and then went up to the great lakes, I had intended to stay at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island it was a sentimental trip for me .a promise made a few years before, but I arrived two days to late and it was closed for the winter, its the hotel that was used in the movie Somewhere in time, But with time I may get there
Regards,
Ron,
I hope you do get to make it back for a visit sometime. If you do, you'll certainly know a lot of MLU-ers to visit in Canada

The internet is great for being able to see photos and hear all about each others environments. I don't know why I didn't get hokked by the internet years ago when I first got online. I only used it for email about work. What an idiot but I'm trying to catch up now, I think

Karmen
Old 29-12-06, 06:59
Vets Dottir

Back at home and I had to go to the Safeway grocery store today ... along this path ... ........

SNOWTRACTOR ... where fore art thou now???
Attached Thumbnails
to the store.jpg  
Old 29-12-06, 07:05
Vets Dottir

SNOWTRACTOR ,,,, can you not HEAR me? snowtractor needed to forge a path through the driveway ....
Attached Thumbnails
wheres the shovel.jpg  
Old 29-12-06, 07:26
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Anty

Yikes, what's that white stuff??
Old 29-12-06, 07:46
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Anty

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Yikes, what's that white stuff??
You ain't seen nuthin yet, I'm sure. It's very hard (uneven/unstable) for me to walk in (with my ankles anyways)

I gave the neighbors permission to use my parking spot (included in my rent and I sometimes need it for rides to park, or for guests) so I don't shovel my spot unless I need it (where the red car on the left is parked) I told neighbors they can use it anytime as long as I can get them to move their cars immediately when I need it.

They can shovel if they want it cleared. I pay for the spot and won't shovel for free when I need someone else to shovel for me anyways