MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 22-02-11, 03:43
Squid out of water.

Default M38A1 Exhaust System

Gents,

The time has come to replace my rusted-out exhaust system, and I would like to clarify something. I have been told that the M38A1 exhaust system is exactly the same as that on the early CJ-5 - is this true? Reason I ask is that there are no MV parts dealers nearby, and I would rather not pay for a 6-foot long exhaust pipe to be mailed to me. Not to mention the fact that Canada Post (or the courier) would probably trash it.

Any info which can be provided would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 22-02-11, 04:13
Terry Warner

Default exhaust parts numbers

It stands to reason that the earliest civilian Jeeps were based closely on the M38A1, but ... there were enough changes to make that assumption weak. Twenty-four volts, oil bath air cleaner and slave-cable wiring to name a few parts differences.

From the illustrated parts manual:
bolt WO 54073 (from the manifold to the first length)
gasket WO 634814
nut WO 801681
pipe WO 649869 (ie short pipe)
nut WO 801678
gasket A7967
bolt WO 54059
extension assembly WO 805779 (ie long pipe)
bracket WO A15498
muffler WO 649865
bracket WO 800799

If the CJ parts book has numbers that look like these, then you might be in luck. Otherwise, I don't have any suggestions.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 22-02-11, 04:42
carrier mech

While a CJ exhaust system would fit, it would not be the same. I would suggest you order a complete exhaust system for your M38A1 from John at midwest military, or another reputable dealer if there is one closer to you in the US. Have it shipped UPS to somewhere near the border in the US, and go pick it up yourself. That way, you will have a good copy of the original exhaust at a reasonable price.

You will pay more to have the local exhaust shops fabricate a system for you, and it will not be proper. Also, resist the urge to have UPS deliver it to you in Canada. The brokerage fees they will charge you will negate any savings you would have had.

A front pipe, muffler and center pipe from the US will run you about $200. A couple bucks more for the gaskets, and order the hanger if needed. The Cdn jeeps used a short tailpipe extension which you might have to hunt around for. It is the same extension as on a M170 (I am told).
Old 22-02-11, 05:00
Squid out of water.

All of that is about what I thought, and I agree about the tailpipe extension from the M170 (the remains of the original match the diagram in the book for the M170, anyway).

As for going to the US to get it myself, despite being able to see the US of A from my front porch, it is not that simple. Living on an island is great 99% of the time, but the ferry costs a small fortune ($140ish return, if I take my truck, which I am assuming I will need to go to carry the parts back). Could be worth it if I ordered a lot of stuff, I suppose.

Not only that, but the last time I crossed the border US Customs and Border Protection was looking for an "armed and dangerous" with the same name and birthdate as me - and I was not amused by the 12 agents pointing guns in the direction of my pregnant wife and 2-year old daughter. At least they gave me a comment card to send to Washington....

Mike
Old 22-02-11, 05:53
carrier mech

Maybe try and time your order with a trip to the US. I have all my stuff sent to a place that receives parcels 3 miles south of the border. It takes me 2 hours and $25 of fuel to drive down, but it is well worth it to me. Especially for things like paint or chemicals. A lot of the hazmat cannot be transported by a company, but there is no problem bringing it across yourself.