MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 27-11-17, 10:44
Does he look like a Blitz

Default Weights of CMP components?

Hello all - am after idea of weights of major components of a short F15:

(A) chassis with Chev 4WD drivetrain and 16" wheels?
(B) Complete cab: can 4 blokes lift one off or am I better off removing top half first?

I ask because I have opportunity to acquire excellent (A) but already have a good (B) and am looking to car trailer it for the 30 minute drive to my place.
Are there any issues/pitfalls/bad karma in putting my Ford cab on a Chev chassis?
I am in South Coast region and have heard stories of a 'paddock full of Blitzes' in Camden and Wilton - anyone shed any light on these promised lands?

Thanks in anticipation - Dave
Old 27-11-17, 10:59
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Weights

There are two weights of CMP parts: heavy and bloody heavy.

I would not recommend trying to lift the cab with four blokes even with the roof off... four young blokes who don't realise their backs can be ruined perhaps.

Because of the height of the chassis the lift would need to be fairly back-breakingly high too.

I wouldn't be swapping cabs between makes either, it can (and has) been done but there are differences around the engine and pedals, far easier to use the correct one.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 27-11-17, 11:27
Does he look like a Blitz

Okay ... so who wants a short Ford F15, cab 13 and who can get me a good Chev cab ...
Old 27-11-17, 20:58

Default General rule on CMP componet weights

Hi Dave

As Keith said "heavy and bloody heavy" which is of course correct but, allow me to quantify that a little bit. Having taken three of these beasties apart working by myself I have had to use lifting tools most commonly the Jib Crane in my shop with a chain fall attached. The chain fall I use is rated at 900Lbs which basically limits out at what a 160Lbs man can pull down on the chain to raise the hook.

With this in mind most logical component units can be hoisted. Example rear axle assembly with tires (no springs) for a HUP. Front or Rear axle assembly no springs or wheels for C60. In the C60 case the runflat tire and wheel are in the 350+lbs per wheel. Engine and transmission under 900Lbs. Chassis for HUP easy, C60L stripped right at 900Lbs limit. I think that these group weights was probably pretty typical and probably for the reason Keith alludes max weight that "four blokes" can lift.

Exceptions to this are stripped Body HUP probably goes 1500Lbs as my jib crane and chainfall could just lift one end of the HUP body with the other end supported easily by 1000Lbs lift arm on the other truck. I suspect that assembled Pattern 13 cab with nose and doors will probably be in the same 1500Lbs range.

If you want to get a idea of what and how I was lifting things take a look at this Youtube video of pulling and installing the engine on Pat 13 C60S. The purpose of the time lapse video was time and motion study on one man pulling the engine and installing engine. Watch the time to pull the nose and engine and then how long it takes to reinstall think it is 5 hours to remove and 5 days to install.

Nose and Engine Pull https://youtu.be/0tBZN6nn_zk

Engine and Nose Install set to music https://youtu.be/Rd1IXU0fchA

The install time got extended out because of delay in getting parts so it ran out over a much longer time the video is made up of individual shots the camera took a picture every minute or so that it saw motion, so the jumps between shots meant I was probably not in the shop.

Hope this information is of some use.

Cheers Phil

`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com