MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 10-12-17, 19:11

Default Pegs, Antennae Rods, 10-Inch ZA/CAN 1036

I think I have had three of these things kicking around for some time, but just to be certain figured it was time to post a picture along with a description of what I have here.

10 of these are supplied with the Bags, Aerial Gear issued with the 19-Set Horizontal Aerial Systems. Eight are used to stake the two mast guy wire systems and two are carried spares.

In the photo of the three I have, two distinct styles are evident. What I am curious about is whether or not all three are one and the same item, simply showing slight production variations, or, are they two completely different items. There may even be other variations out there.

The two on the left are one piece cast steel, 9-5/8 inches long with a 7/8 inch long 'end cap'. They also display a somewhat blunt point. Both have been given a dull, grey zinc plating and no production markings, or identification markings are evident on either of them.

The one on the right is a 10-inch long item of three piece construction. The main body looks to be of a rolled and fused steel tube design. The end cap is a one piece machined item, one inch long. It is either pressed and spot welded in place or threaded. The point has a much longer taper than the other two and is either pressed and spot welded in place, or threaded. it also has a dull grey zinc plating.

So I toss it out there. Are these all variations of the same theme, or two different items?

David
Attached Thumbnails
Pegs, Antennae Rods 10-inch.JPG  
Old 10-12-17, 20:37
Junior Password Gnome

"ZA.0374 Antenna Rods 'A', Pegs" is the British version, and goes a long way back.

They're a general purpose anchor pin from the 1930's and may well still be in service today. The ones I have are painted green and either steel or some light alloy (I think). Originally issued with the 34-ft sectional mast (and its predecessors), also used as stay pins with the Canadian telescopic (34-ft and 20-ft) masts, the post-WW2 27-ft (larkspur-era) telescopic mast (only to anchor the flat baseplate on soft ground, the stays used 18-in steel angle pickets), the Racal MA675 and later (PU-8?) masts, again only for the baseplate. No doubt used for other purposes - the Aerial Base No.25 could be removed from the vehicle roof in some installations and pegged to the ground as a remote aerial for the C11/R210 station.

I suspect the specification only laid down the dimensions and material, and the manufacturers used whatever suited them. (The light alloy ones seem like a lost cause, since the aerial kit was a heavy (in the case of the 27-ft mast, very heavy) item, and shaving a few ounces off the weight of the rigging kit seems pointless - if they were diecast it might have been for mass production, of course.)

They have always struck me as being far too small to be used as pegs for guying the 34-ft steel mast anyway. They might work on hard ground (or grassland), but would be a lost cause in a desert. The 18" steel angle pickets for the 27-ft mast were a lot better, but those, the enormous base spike, and 4-lb hammer resulted in a rigging kit that weighed more than the actual mast!

Chris.
Old 11-12-17, 00:31
GM Fox I

Dave, have you not tripped over all the black painted ones out there?? Actually, I can't recall ever seeing these in a grey finish like yours.
Old 11-12-17, 01:48

Hi Bruce.

Years ago I think I ran across some green painted ones with ‘ZA’ data stencils on them in white or yellow paint, but never spotted black ones.

Post some photos of what you have and any manufacturing variations, please. We might as well put as much variation information as we can in one spot for future reference.

David
Old 11-12-17, 02:46

Just went out and checked my stash. I thought I had a couple of the pegs but could only find the one. It appears to have an end formed on and then peened over.

Of note is the earthing stakes. One of them is very roughly turned on a lathe. Even the top end is poorly welded and finished.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6872.jpg   IMG_6873.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 11-12-17, 14:54

I have a few of these... perhaps 40... some are hollow... some are solid... the solid ones are great tent pegs.

Tim