MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 22-11-11, 05:10

Default Diaphragm material, still available??

I was reading a manual, vehicle not important, that quotes a two materials available in sheet form for a gasoline related application. LV/NEU AC 110228 and LV/NEU AC 110021

Are they still available or what do they cross reference to in the modern world?

Thanks

R
Old 22-11-11, 05:56
Brian Asbury

Default "Neutral Numbers"

Robin,
The format of your part numbers indicate that they likely represent a transition numbering system used from the mid-1940's and possibly as late as the mid-1950's. Apparently an attempt was made to assign a standardized or "neutral number" (hence NEU as part of number) to numbers used by the wide range of military suppliers.
Since this numbering system is quite dated then the material referred to would not likely be suitable for modern fuels. I will try to trace these numbers in a cross-reference book and maybe come up with a manufacturer's part numbers.
As discussed in a previous thead it would be interesting to hear from anyone with more information about this little-known numbering system.
...... Brian
Old 22-11-11, 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCA View Post
Robin,
The format of your part numbers indicate that they likely represent a transition numbering system used from the mid-1940's and possibly as late as the mid-1950's. Apparently an attempt was made to assign a standardized or "neutral number" (hence NEU as part of number) to numbers used by the wide range of military suppliers.
Since this numbering system is quite dated then the material referred to would not likely be suitable for modern fuels. I will try to trace these numbers in a cross-reference book and maybe come up with a manufacturer's part numbers.
As discussed in a previous thead it would be interesting to hear from anyone with more information about this little-known numbering system.
...... Brian
Hi Brian,

This is a British stock number system dating back to the War. LV is still the prefix for parts under the NSN system with us, think it stood for Land Vehicles. The number in question is a common used part over a wide range of vehicles, so rather than it coming under the vehicle makers prefix, it is given the component makers part number, in this case AC as it is a part from a petrol pump, the number is their commercial part number. From memory, the LV/NEU numbers were asigned to parts for non-British vehicles, maybe refering to Lend Lease (?), whereas British AC parts for instance, would be prefixed 6MT...

Hope this helps

regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor

Last edited by Richard Farrant; 22-11-11 at 10:05.
Old 23-11-11, 01:52
Brian Asbury

Richard: Thanks for your input. It is making more sense now. I have 2 large books of NEU numbers with hand-labelled titles: "Canadian Neutral Numbers" - unfortunately no proper title or explanatory pages. Each NEU number is cross-referenced to Chrysler, GM or Ford numbers which appear to be related exclusively to Canadian (CMP etc) or Canadian-used US WW2 vehicles (MB/GPW jeep etc).
Robin: your number AC 110228 crosses over to a Chrysler number 639111. Using other cross-over manuals in my library this Chrysler/Dodge number is a fuel pump diaphragm used on some US 1941 Dodge 1/2-ton trucks, on a Hobart welder with a Dodge T118 engine and probably other applications. The manufacturer's number is AC/GM 855035. The federal stock number is 2910-00-176-0001. Note that the numerical part of the NEU number (110228) is unique to the Neutral Number system and is not a manufacturer's number despite the AC prefix.
This doesn't help you much unless you can find a fuel pump kit source that stocks a currently made diaphragm from modern rubber for fuel pumps using a AC/GM 855035 or Chrysler 639111 diaphragm.
..... Brian
Old 23-11-11, 10:55

Dear Brian and Richard,

the information you both provided is of some help. The part numbers are actually what was quoted for a Ferret fuel pump and carb in one of the 1950s pages of the Canadian Ferret manuals.

Thanks Gents.

R
Old 23-11-11, 12:15
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Nitrile sheet

Fuel resistant Nitrile sheet is available here. It's used to make carby diaphrams . I recently bought some .5 and .3mm off cuts to repair a vacuum advance unit on a Land Rover . Its handy to have some in different thickness to repair fuel related stuff

I got it from REGLIN , just off Canterbury road Kilsyth , Melbourne . MIKE
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 23-11-11, 13:00

Dear Mike,

"fuel resitant nitrile sheet", wonderful, now I know what to ask for. Many thanks.

Also thanks to Brian, with those numbers I can go searching locally, have a fairly good auto parts supplier who will search for the essoteric!

R
Old 26-11-11, 22:39

Robin,

I have had no trouble getting the correct modern diaphram sheet from anyone who sells or repairs fuel pumping equipment (hand drum pumps, electric fuel transfer pumps). I have rebuilt both Chevrolet and Dodge pumps with 100% success.

Only get what you want - see if they have offcuts just big enough for your purposes as it is damned expensive!

Lang