MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 06-07-03, 14:57
former Resident Historian

Default ID trucks in Liverpool, 1944 please?

We have seen this photo before of course...Pearsons Ltd in Liverpool, 1944 with CMPs, Jeeps, White half-tracks, Diamond Ts, but can we identify please:
  1. The actual model of Mack wreckerts under the roof in the yard, on the left...suggestion is Canadian order LMSW-57?
  2. The Dimaond T wrecker next to the Macks...968/9 or was it a Canadian 975A? It doesn't look like a lwb 975A to me?
  3. The make of tipper truck with the odd-looking front end in the yard? There is another in the distance and also a GMC 6 x 4 COE with crates on...
  4. What is the van-lookalike square fronted truck between the right GMC and the tipper just behind the fence? The Ford Jeep next to it is M5844943 [Contract S/M 2276]
The tractor units are 1940 Model GMC units, probably civilian-order but have Compressors or Generators on the semi-trailer.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/chevytalk/query.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
query.jpg  

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 06-07-03 at 15:04.
Old 06-07-03, 21:52
MLU Administrator

Default Re: ID trucks in Liverpool, 1944 please?

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
4. What is the van-lookalike square fronted truck between the right GMC and the tipper just behind the fence? The Ford Jeep next to it is M5844943 [Contract S/M 2276]
FWD HAR-01 4x4 truck, fitted with a huge snow blower on the front, hence the big snow blower engine housing on the back.

Ref. your thread: FWD HAR-1 to Canadian/British orders
Old 07-07-03, 19:57

Default Borer?

I wonder if they were Canadian order or failing that L 4138835 to 4138840 for "Lorry Mounted Boring Machine"?

What are the tilt trucks please???
Old 07-07-03, 21:41

Default Re: Borer?

Quote:
What are the tilt trucks please???

David,
Which tilt trucks are you refering to? The ones in the foreground are Halftracks and there is a CMP 15cwt to the right. The Halftracks would be Internationals confirmed by the wings I am sure. Ref. the dumptruck I seem to remember seeing one of those in a Wheels & Tracks once and feel sure that it may be a Mack. There is also a Humber Light Recce there, which seems out of place as the rest of the vehicles are imports being prepared for issue (is that correct?).

Richard
Old 07-07-03, 22:54

Default Dumpers

The two dumpers are those with bodies tilted...one is just inside the fence. The front end looks odd....
Old 08-07-03, 01:11

Default Re: Dumpers

Quote:
The two dumpers are those with bodies tilted...one is just inside the fence. The front end looks odd....
Sorry David, when you said tilt trucks I thought you meant trucks with tilts (or canvas). Dumptrucks, yes as I said, seen pics of these before and am sure they are Macks and it is not unusual to see offset cab on these sort of trucks, may have a winch behind the cab for recovery, hence the offset.
Old 08-07-03, 11:33

Default Further thoughts

Yes, the snow-blower must be a FWDHAR-01 with the Climax R6 engine powering the Bros rotary plough. Thanks for that one!

The tippers are I suggest are L4688588 to L4688612 Mack "Lorry 10 ton 4 x 2 Tipping" to S/M 2813...but which model Mack?

There is also a GMC 6 x 4 FC truck in the background...I wondered whether this was a rebuild to flat-bed on the obsolete AFWX-354 searchlight chassis abd then demobbed in 1944? The GMC tractors are 1940 units but I have no thoughts about them other than they must be lhd civilian, NC.
Old 08-07-03, 13:26
MLU Administrator

Default Re: 1940 GMC tractors

Quote:
Yes, the snow-blower must be a FWDHAR-01 with the Climax R6 engine powering the Bros rotary plough. Thanks for that one!
My pleasure
I know a guy in the Netherlands who owns an unrestored one in quite remarkable condition. Sadly he scrapped the snow plough in his foolish young days, so there's no option now really other than restore it as a cargo truck.

Quote:
The GMC tractors are 1940 units but I have no thoughts about them other than they must be lhd civilian, NC.
The French ordered a sizeable quantity of GMC trucks from the US, many of which were diverted to the UK when France succumbed to the German Blitzkrieg. I've only seen pictures of GS trucks (some of which also fell in the hands of the German Army), but possibly they had some tractor units on order as well.
Old 08-07-03, 17:28

Default Not British WO

Hanno, the tractor units are not diverted stock that was acquired by the British War Office/Ministry of Supply, but could well be diverted civilian stock. I have records of Norwegian/Danish deliveries being seized as prize cargo and then auctioned in England. These are the only GMC Tractor units I have ever come across in the UK. I cannot find any references to a GMC AC-500 series Tractor...all the references are to Forward Control /COE units including the military AFX-502. I am pondering on whether these were rebuilds of GMC ACK-353 diverted trucks and then demobbed in 1944.
Old 11-09-04, 14:25

Default FWD HAR-01

Did the snow blower have a Caterpillar engine at the rear? I have several photos of the trucks now and a rear shot shows a large boxed engine with rear-facing rad with what may be 'Caterpillar' script.
Old 11-09-04, 16:23

Default Re: FWD HAR-01

Quote:
Did the snow blower have a Caterpillar engine at the rear?
David,
The FWD HAR-01 snow blower had a Climax engine mounted on the rear to power the equipment. Not to be confused with the British engine manufacturer, Coventry Climax, this Climax was built in the USA by a company associated with Waukesha Engines.

Richard
Old 11-09-04, 17:50

Default GMC trucks

In the photo are a COE GMC, a NC GMC and two Tractor-trailers that we have discussed before. On the back of the trailers are two Caterpillar diesels powering Grain Elevators. The units are permanently mounted onto the semi-trailers! That solves that mystery.
Old 11-09-04, 23:40
Dog Robber

David:
I am really sorry to ask this, but can you repost the pic in a larger format? I have tried and tried with my lousy photo editing program to blow it up so I can see what the various vehicles really are without success.
Bill
Old 12-09-04, 00:33

Default Enlarged

..but worried about bandwith!
Old 12-09-04, 00:45
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: Enlarged

Quote:
..but worried about bandwith!
David, you can email it to me as large as you can (at least 1000 pixels wide) and I'll host it on my site.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 12-09-04, 00:50
Dog Robber

I will regret this post, but David's original post of the pic, at least as it appears on my PC is about like my 64 year old nether member. All of us have posted "legal" sized pics that were 3-4 times that size, even including GWB and Hanno amongst others.

Just do it, and the devil take the hindmost. I doubt you will get banned for one picture post and if all else fails, delete it after a few weeks.
Bill