MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 24-07-06, 12:42
MLU Administrator

While talking to some people at Beltring, I learned the following:

- the Churchill is slated for a museum in the Middle East;
- the LVT4 is going to a museum in Belgium;
- the Staghound is going to a collector in the USA.

Hope this is of interest.

H.
Old 24-07-06, 14:34

Default The John Bellfield Collection

Before I get too involved, let me say John is a heck of a nice guy and what he has done for our hobby/interest here in Australia defies words. Although he has a crew of volunteers, ( which like most volunteers goes unmentioned) his collection was without peers and not just in this country. As a collector and restorer, I envy him.
Yes, John did offer it to the govt as a collection. At the time, one of the covenents was it was to be entire. The decision was made not to purchase the entire colection as almost (and I state ALMOST)every item John had is either on display or in storage within the Army History network of museums. (eg genuine complete and going AC1 and AC3.) So why buy more of what you already have when the money you spend comes from taxpayers. Let's face it, the majority of taxpayers probably really aren't interested in spending up large (or really understand) in what we do anyway.
Those items kept in storage are used to rotate displays around, to keep exhibits new & interesting. You have to keep the public coming back.......
What many people didn't realise too, is that many of the items were non runners, incomplete, or inaccurate in some way as to AWM requirements. Both the Churchill and Chaffee were empty hulls. Range wrecks rebuilt tend to have some damage etc. Plus the fact that the sheer cost of rebuilding a Churchill for example in Aust would be ridiculous. We never had very many and shippage of parts from overseas would be way out of the question. Again, why purchase something your network already has.
As mentioned some time ago the Ha Go went to the AWM before the auction. To be honest, it would not have been allowed out of the country anyway.
Some of the WW2 training aids have also found their way back to Pucka as did the experimental light tank. Although information is still lacking on that.
It was good to see the mine damaged M113 go to the Tank Museum at Pucka. Two Australian soldiers lost their lives in that vehicle. That gentlemen is historical provinance, and to be honest was disposed of initially through a very big bungle (Leave it to our officer corps). At least it was John who found it and it wasn't scrapped.
Again, what John has done is to be commended. His devotion to his/our interest is far more than most of us could ever entertain. So many have scoffed at the AWM and history network for not purchasing it before it was broken up, that gentlemen is why.

We, unlike everyone else, have to justify to the taxpayer (not just to our wives) what we spend.

Last edited by Ian Pullen; 24-07-06 at 14:39.
Old 24-07-06, 15:26
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Sometimes, when really important items DO deserve to go into the AWM, but the market price is too high for their budget, a generous donor will step forward:
Quote:
"Gallipoli VC medal sets auction record
Australia's last privately owned Victoria Cross medal awarded at Gallipoli sold at auction in Sydney, setting a world record price of $1 million.

The medal was purchased by a prominent philanthropic Australian businessman who wished to remain anonymous and who bid over the phone.

Lot 1078 included seven other medals with a combined value of less than $100,000.

The $1 million price tag breaks the record of $595,000 set in 2005 for a medal won by captain Thomas Hardy at Lord Nelson's victory at Trafalgar in 1805.

The highest price paid previously for a VC was $575,000 in 2004 for a medal awarded to Sergeant Norman C Jackson, a British Royal Air Force pilot during World War II in 1944.

The VC sold was awarded posthumously to New Zealand-born Australian soldier Captain Alfred Shout, It was put up for sale by his grandson, 67-year-old Graham Thomas.

Auctioneer Tim Goodman, of Bonhams and Goodman auction house, told the crowd there were plans for the medal to soon be on public display.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new world auction record for a medal," Mr Goodman said as he brought down the hammer on the sale better measured in seconds than minutes.

"I can confirm the buyer is a prominent Australian businessman who is going to work with the RSL to make sure the medals go on display at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra."

The war memorial holds the other eight VCs awarded to Australians for service at Gallipoli.

Capt Shout was mortally wounded at Lone Pine when the last of three grenades he ignited blew up in his face.

He was the most highly decorated Australian soldier to serve during the Battle of Gallipoli in 1915, being awarded the Military Cross for his actions during the botched landing at Anzac Cove in April.

Capt Shout was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions during the Battle of Lone Pine in August that year.

Mr Thomas said his grandfather would have approved of the sale.

"He'd probably say 'you did a bloody good job'," said Mr Thomas, who planned to celebrate over a beer.

He would have liked to have been able to put the medal on display himself.

"But you've got to be honest. If you get a few dollars, it's certainly going to help my family," the retired plastering estimator said.

"But to get both, to get it on show and get the money, you can't ask for much more than that. I'm tickled pink."

Mr Thomas said his decision to sell the medals, passed to him by his mother, had met with very little criticism.

The bidder will pay a $1,214,500, including commission and other charges.

Speculation about the purchaser was rife, but Mr Thomas could only suggest it may have been a Melbourne plastic surgeon or a group from Queensland who invest in war memorabilia.

All the auctioneers would say was that the purchaser was a prominent philanthropic Australian businessman."
Old 24-07-06, 22:48

Default VC

Can anyone tell me the origin and/or the story behind the VC. I heard that it was smelted from a certain barrel?????

Thanks
Paul
Old 25-07-06, 00:07
Peter

Default vc's

they were originaly struck from metal smelted down from gun barrels captured during the crimea war.
for full info
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-...history-vc.htm

Last edited by pand65au; 25-07-06 at 00:15.
Old 25-07-06, 00:17

Default VC

The Victoria Cross medal is actually smelted from captured Russian guns from the Crimean War. The guns are held in England.
Old 25-07-06, 01:44

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
While talking to some people at Beltring, I learned the following:
- the Churchill is slated for a museum in the Middle East;
Hanno,

Churchill is coming to UK, bought by a private collecter here, understand it should arrive in August. On reading the catalogue, I seem to remember there were two Churchills?

Richard
Old 25-07-06, 03:50

Default VC

Ian and pand65au, thanks

Paul
Old 25-07-06, 08:39
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
"The bidder will pay a $1,214,500, including commission and other charges.

Speculation about the purchaser was rife, but Mr Thomas could only suggest it may have been a Melbourne plastic surgeon or a group from Queensland who invest in war memorabilia.

All the auctioneers would say was that the purchaser was a prominent philanthropic Australian businessman."
The identity of the purchaser has been revealed today as the owner of television station Channel 7, Mr Kerry Stokes.
Old 30-08-06, 19:53
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
Churchill is coming to UK, bought by a private collecter here, understand it should arrive in August. On reading the catalogue, I seem to remember there were two Churchills?
As far as I know there was only one, a Mk.VII census no. 'T179165/H'. I understand it is not a runner, and it's tracks are seized. Seeing the problems in the Middle East, I cannot imagine anyone letting a ship disembark "a tank", so possibly it was sold on to a British collector?

Quote:
A Churchill Mk. VII A42 Infantry Tank
Lot No. 42

Manufacturer: Vauxhall Motors, U. K. Crew: Five. Engine: Bedford Twin-six 12-cyl. petrol engine. Length: 730cm. Width: 300cm. Height: 280cm. Approx. Weight: 38,500kg. Armament: One 75mm gun. Two replica Besa . 303 guns. the front numbered 'T179165/H'

$34,000
Attached Thumbnails
9362_1_original.jpg  
Old 30-08-06, 19:56
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Even more prices

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
F60S with Holmes wrecker (unoriginal) (unrestored, but repainted) $9k
I was just going to say "F60S weren't built as Wreckers" when I read your (unoriginal) remark. Possibly the result of students cobbling up a bitsa at the RAEME School of Mechanisation?

H.

Quote:
A 3-Ton Ford F60S 4x4 Breakdown Truck
Lot No. 249

Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company, Canada. Crew: Two. Engine: Ford 1943 V8 petrol engine. Wrecking Gear: Gar Wood twin boom with lifting capacity of approx. 5 tonnes. Approx. Weight: 5,000kg. numbered '53489', bearing the markings of Land Headquarters School of Mechanisation, Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, circa 1944

$9,000
Attached Thumbnails
9533_1_original.jpg  
Old 30-08-06, 20:01
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
the LVT4 is going to a museum in Belgium
No date of arrival is set yet, but the new owner is anxious to see it arrive. More news when it becomes available.

Quote:
A Buffalo Mk. 4 (LVT4) Tracked Landing Vehicle
Lot No. 44

Manufacturer: Ford Machinery Corporation, Graham-Paige and St. Louis Car Company, U. S. A. Crew: Up to six. Engine: Continental W670-9A 7-cyl. petrol engine . Length: 795cm. Width: 325cm. Height: 249cm. Approx. Weight: 26,500kg. Armament: None (the two Oerlikon 20mm guns currently mounted are to be sold as lots 71 and 72). The front numbered '149467'

$32,000
Attached Thumbnails
9363_1_original.jpg